WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sad news in pennsylvania

I don't know how to post a link, but on Facebook news this morning there is a link to a 40 yr. old Pennsy man who was bitten by a Timber Rattler this weekend and died on the way to hospital. He was camping with his girlfriend. Apparently it was late in the evening.
    Some very tragic news...
    Here in New Jersey, I almost stepped on one on the Batona Trail in May. I have been told that generally their bite is not lethal.
    Not one to dwell, or sensationalize tragic news, it does serve as a warning for us all...
    Be careful out there!!
    maybe someone else can post the link... I do not know how. (new member)

Guy.

Images

here's a link.....

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/re...s/201507190201

( i just copy and paste the link it----not sure if that's the "correct" way but it works)....

Thank you...
    What a shame. They blend so well into their surroundings it is almost impossible not to step on them. Especially if you are tired from hiking.
    Do you all keep a wary eye on the trail, or pay no attention at all? Sometimes I am so focused on rocks and roots I wouldn't see an elephant if it were sitting on the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by TREKMAN001 View Post
    They blend so well into their surroundings it is almost impossible not to step on them. Especially if you are tired from hiking.
    The good thing about Timber rattlesnakes is they generally give you warning before they strike - and it's REALLY hard not to notice that rattling noise. I'm sure you can both surprise each other in some rare circumstances though (because of terrain and such).

-- That's a lot better than the other poisonous variety in our area, the Cottonmouth, which doesn't give you any warning at all.

Yes very sad news. I do not wish to start an argument on the OP's post about a death but I feel compelled to say that there are no Cottonmouths on the AT like someone alluded to.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    there are no Cottonmouths on the AT like someone alluded to.
    That's my bad, meant to say Copperhead (which I've seen in northern NJ quite a bit, and I assume in PA as well).

I came across a rattler smack in the middle of the trail here in PA. It was LOUD! Heard it before I saw it. Scared the heck out of me. I stopped about 10 feet from it, kept hitting the ground with my poles, it slithered away, and I went on. Glad I wasn't listening to an mp3 player through earbuds with the volume cranked way up. Beware: sometimes a rattler doesn't have any rattles.
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    That's my bad, meant to say Copperhead (which I've seen in northern NJ quite a bit, and I assume in PA as well).
    Plenty of those.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

++ New Posts ++