WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    The Whites are very popular. Owls Head is supposedly trailless. It has a great trail that is very clear. I doubt any are really trailless. The White Mountains trail map that I have shows trails to all of them.
    Maybe I ought to have the Northeast 111 on my bucket list, then. I have a limited tolerance for pushing through spuce while circling ledges looking for a spot that I can scramble, trying all the while to keep track of how far I've deviated from my compass line. I probably don't want to do more than a half-dozen or so peaks like that in any given year.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Owls head is trail less in name only, the FS just doesn't allow any signage or blazing on the path to the top and doesn't allow a sign at the top. There are actually three old summits along the ridge top the northern most one is currently considered the highest.

One piece of advice I don't read that often is to avoid anything that breaks up the continuity of the hike such as very long breaks. It can put you in a bad state mentally and then going back to the trail may not be the same. Ultimately that was one of the main reasons I got off the trail this year. I was and remain in perfectly good physical condition and could have finished but made a decision not to. I won't be taking any long breaks from the trail next year. In fact, my zero days will probably number less than five. FWIW.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    One piece of advice I don't read that often is to avoid anything that breaks up the continuity of the hike such as very long breaks. It can put you in a bad state mentally and then going back to the trail may not be the same. Ultimately that was one of the main reasons I got off the trail this year. I was and remain in perfectly good physical condition and could have finished but made a decision not to. I won't be taking any long breaks from the trail next year. In fact, my zero days will probably number less than five. FWIW.
    I think you are exactly right. BOTH TIMES that I left it happened inside of a trail town. It's easy to get there and easy to decide to leave because you ALREADY are not hiking. Due to the storm this past year, it was easy as I was layed over for quite some time. To regain that fire and determination can be hard as hell to do.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

I got forced off the trail this year in the Smokies due to a rather nasty double infection that required a 13 day hospital visit. Had to have surgery to drain one infection and was told not to go back out for 2 months (due to the extremely high possibility of reinfection) which ruined my schedule. Decided not to SOBO.

I am now planning for another attempt next year starting again in early April. I was having the time of my life out there and want to finish the experience.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I got forced off the trail this year in the Smokies due to a rather nasty double infection that required a 13 day hospital visit. Had to have surgery to drain one infection and was told not to go back out for 2 months (due to the extremely high possibility of reinfection) which ruined my schedule. Decided not to SOBO.

I am now planning for another attempt next year starting again in early April. I was having the time of my life out there and want to finish the experience.
    Are we talking a staph infection here? I ended up getting one on the trail this year and actually STILL have it...Undergoing treatment now for it. Is that what you ended up dealing with man?

Worse! MRSA infection. The antibiotics were NOT fun. They gave me more problems than the infection did.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Worse! MRSA infection. The antibiotics were NOT fun. They gave me more problems than the infection did.
    Damn man...Hell no, they are definitely not fun. I've been hoping that mine doesn't turn into MRSA. I originally got staph during my MMA fighting days and I think it has stayed in my system for damn near a decade man. It's almost impossible to get rid of. I had gotten rid of symptoms for a while BUT it came back on the Trail and hasn't left since. I am sorry that you are going through that bro.

Started a NoBo thru in spring 2010, and ended up going home at Damascus. Physically was fine, but mental was ready to go home, figuring "plenty of time to try again next year". Life had some surprises in mind for me. Missed all hiking in 2011 and half 2012 due to prostate cancer surgery.

Since fall 2012, I've made close to a dozen trips to the AT and LT/Vermont for section hikes. As of now, have completed Springer Mtn to Thornton Gap, VA on the AT. Since my LT E2E hike in fall 2013, (when I felt at my best hiking shape ever), I've been plagued with repeat foot injuries that cut my other AT and LT section hikes short. My last hike was this past April-May, when I had to bail at Thornton Gap, VA from a very bad case of achilles tendonitis.

And my return to the trail now is going to be put off at least til next year. Scheduled for an MRI and most likely achilles tendon surgery in the next month. The extent of the surgery will all depend on what they see in the MRI. So looking back, now I wish I had stayed on the trail back in 2010 at Damascus, when I decided to come home, figuring "plenty of time to try it again next year". But can't complain much, the experience on the trail has been fantastic, would not trade it for anything, and already can't wait to get thru surgery, Phys therapy and hope to get back up to the AT sometime next year.

Lesson: don't take your health for granted, and appreciate any day spent hiking

MRSA is a type of staph infection that is resistant to tx. Many of us have it all over us and it never causes a problem but sometimes in some people it does. Just a FYI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    MRSA is a type of staph infection that is resistant to tx. Many of us have it all over us and it never causes a problem but sometimes in some people it does. Just a FYI.
    I was just one of the lucky ones then.

The docs said that most likely I had the MRSA infection first (actually an infection, not just on the skin) and then got a bug bite that got infected as well, which overwhelmed my immune system.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Started a NoBo thru in spring 2010, and ended up going home at Damascus. Physically was fine, but mental was ready to go home, figuring "plenty of time to try again next year". Life had some surprises in mind for me. Missed all hiking in 2011 and half 2012 due to prostate cancer surgery.

Since fall 2012, I've made close to a dozen trips to the AT and LT/Vermont for section hikes. As of now, have completed Springer Mtn to Thornton Gap, VA on the AT. Since my LT E2E hike in fall 2013, (when I felt at my best hiking shape ever), I've been plagued with repeat foot injuries that cut my other AT and LT section hikes short. My last hike was this past April-May, when I had to bail at Thornton Gap, VA from a very bad case of achilles tendonitis.

And my return to the trail now is going to be put off at least til next year. Scheduled for an MRI and most likely achilles tendon surgery in the next month. The extent of the surgery will all depend on what they see in the MRI. So looking back, now I wish I had stayed on the trail back in 2010 at Damascus, when I decided to come home, figuring "plenty of time to try it again next year". But can't complain much, the experience on the trail has been fantastic, would not trade it for anything, and already can't wait to get thru surgery, Phys therapy and hope to get back up to the AT sometime next year.

Lesson: don't take your health for granted, and appreciate any day spent hiking
    VERY VERY GOOD lesson there. Man, I am sorry to hear about the injuries and health issues. You are gonna make it back to the trail!

Images

I set out to do a thru hike in 1999 at age 42 after having thought about it for far too long. I quit a crappy job and set out from Springer with visions of Katahdin in my head only to pack it in after 610 miles, having limped for 100 miles on my poor pronated feet.

Then in 2005, with my other half's blessing I quit yet another crappy job, went back to where I left off in '99 and set out with the intention to finish the rest. This time I was armed with lighter gear and custom Superfeet shoe inserts, but once again I became a limping, hobbling wreck and discontinued the endeavor after 300 and some odd miles.

Still, I have not forgotten about the Trail and plan to chip away at it once again when I finally quit the working world. I'd give it a go again in a heartbeat but quitting a job at 57 is different than bailing from one in your 40's, because getting hired in one's late 50's is a truly dicey proposition. But, God willing Foodbag will hit the Trail again!
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foodbag View Post
    I set out to do a thru hike in 1999 at age 42 after having thought about it for far too long. I quit a crappy job and set out from Springer with visions of Katahdin in my head only to pack it in after 610 miles, having limped for 100 miles on my poor pronated feet.

Then in 2005, with my other half's blessing I quit yet another crappy job, went back to where I left off in '99 and set out with the intention to finish the rest. This time I was armed with lighter gear and custom Superfeet shoe inserts, but once again I became a limping, hobbling wreck and discontinued the endeavor after 300 and some odd miles.

Still, I have not forgotten about the Trail and plan to chip away at it once again when I finally quit the working world. I'd give it a go again in a heartbeat but quitting a job at 57 is different than bailing from one in your 40's, because getting hired in one's late 50's is a truly dicey proposition. But, God willing Foodbag will hit the Trail again!
    I have no doubt that you will...Sorry to hear about the past attempts, but you hiked 900+ miles man...I envy that. Hopefully I can reach at least that THIS year...You have ALREADY done something that most of us dream about, as I am sure you did as well. Hopefully you will get back out there and finish your AT hike...You don't have far to go.

After completing 1800 miles in 2012, I’m finally planning on finishing the last miles next year, before ambitiously planning to leap west to do a stint on the PCT too.
    However, giving the annoying logistics of where I’m missing miles – It’s easier for me to start over at Springer and hike until Roanoke, then bus up to Gorham and redo Maine as well to finish.
    Not sure if the plan will work, but I’m totally going for it!

Attempt #1 was in the spring of 1975. We skipped graduation (Purdue) to get on the trail. We lasted a week. Attempt #2 was spring of 2012. I had just retired. I lasted 100 miles. Third time's the charm, starting 3rd week of Feb. Hopefully I've learned about my self and the trail and expect to complete in the late summer or fall.

Images

2012 - 2+ weeks off for foot pains - no real diagnosis - just couldn't walk. Back on the Trail on 16 May, slipped and sprained/cracked my right ankle on 18 May - 497 miles.

Plantar fasciitis right now - clearing up with a night boot to help stretch the tissues, new insoles, new lift for the left foot, new pad under the left arch. Seems my arches have fallen and left leg has been shorter than the right. Go figure.

Back up to 2 miles walking per day and increasing slowly - have cut 15 pounds from pack - starting elevation training this Oct. As soon as I put my hiking boots on, pain is gone and I can walk.

I should just find a good farrier and have them nail a horseshoe to each foot. Save time, trouble and money.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Although we didn't fail on our first attempt this year, and did complete the trail on 7/9. We're considering hitting the trail SOBO next year starting around the end of July. Hoping to catch some fall colors heading through the Shenandoah region.
    AT15
    OT15

I started a thru in '90, made it as far as Catawba. I wasn't injured or out of money but I was bored and not having fun. I did Katahdin to Monson in September of that year and caught up with a few of my trail friends from down south.

A few years later I started doing section hikes. The sections ran anywhere from 12 to 120 miles. In 2007 I took time off from work (plus a "sabbatical") to finish the trail with another long (six week) section through the mid-Atlantic states. I finished at the spot where I'd bailed in 1990. Plenty of photos and journals at the link below.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/wp

I know one person from this year who should be back out there to finish next year but I don't think she's starting over as a thru. She made it through Shenandoah, jumped ahead a bit into PA because she needed to finish to get back for school and lived in DC so was just going to close out that section during the school year, then broke her arm on the NY border. Waited around for a few weeks to see if the doctors would let her get back out there but ended up needing surgery. She did Katahdin and the HMW SOBO with her broken arm after the surgery but eventually scrapped it and plans to finish next summer. I don't think she's on here but if you run into her you're lucky, she's awesome. Her name is Haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++