WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Had to leave the trail at Pinkham Notch because of a foot injury this year. Although unresolved, a pending doctor appointment will hopefully expedite healing. I plan on completing the trail in 2016.

Last year I walked with a high number of strides per minute and very little foot lift. This style was probably responsible for a lot of injuries to my toes. The plan next year is to lift my feet slightly with each step. We shall see if it works.

My wife & I started a Thru this year on March 10th, went over 1500 miles to Great Barington, MA...... within the same week I contracted Ehrlichiosis (like Lyme) from a tick bite, cracked a tooth & got a severe tooth ache, & my wife's Grandmother passed away. So, we were forced to get off the trail this year. We are looking at getting back out there to finish our last 600ish miles possibly in June next year.

Journal Entries
    Images

I attempted a thru-hike in 2000. I got to Fontana Dam and had to end my hike when I got a bad stress fracture in my leg. The next year I got back on the trail at Fontana Dam and finished the AT without any further problems. Not a true thru-hike but I did hike 2005 miles in 2001.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

Congrats for making several attempts trying to accomplish something that many people would never give it try. Not to be funny but this sounds like many attempts I have just with section hiking. Most people never make it off the couch... Try section hiking as you can accomplish goals with the knowledge you have gained by your attempts...just a though...see you on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Well it took me about 37 years (1970 to 2007) to link up sections of the AT to finish it so always remember its the journey not the destination I don't think I would ever swap my sectioning for an actual traditional thru hike. Of course HYOH
    Your comment just sobered me. Just last week I started my first section hike. I had planned to thru-hike about 8 yrs ago but lost the window. excited about the hikes ahead. I have been thinking I will be able to do it all in 5-10 yrs.

Your 37 years doesn't deflate me, just sobers me. Life happens. Life meanders. Life is a beautiful gift.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++