WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dolly Copp walk ins

I am planning a 9 day vacation in the Whites to finish the remaining 15 of the 48 4000' hills of NH. I reserved campsites all over the area to support this effort. I had hoped to reserve at Dolly Copp to get Isolation the following morning. All they have is walk ins for the date I planned. How do I maximize my odds of getting one if these sites. My wife is going as my support team. She will be the one trying to get this spot at Dolly Copp. Any advise is appreciated.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I don't have any experience with Dolly Copp walk ins but there is a nearby campground in Gorham at Moose Brook State Park which is similar but a few miles north (a plus is you drive by the all night breakfast place in Gorham Gooldies) . The next closest option is the White Birches Campground in Shelburne and then the Timberline campground further east on RT 2 . I intentionally didn't mention Hikers Paradise or the Barn as some spouses may object to either.

Wish you luck on the stringing together enough nice days. Isolation is quite a walk either way you go. Since you have someone driving, the Glen Boulder approach in and rocky Branch out to RT 16 is nice one. Doing an out and back either way get a bit monotonous. Keep in mind Pinkams Notch has coin op showers.

Thank you. I am unable to look at those sites where I am. Will check later. Anyone out there with Dolly Copp walk in experience?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Arrive mid week and before noon and you should not have a problem. As Peakbagger mentioned, Moose brook state park is a quieter option and not all that far away. Closer to the services in Gorham too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Dolly Cobbs is a group site, they may have regular sites nearby also IDK. Someone did try to camp there w/o paying and the ranger found out and changed them the full group rate, would have been cheaper for them to do this in the camp grounds down the road a bit.

Have you considered one of the hostels at Gorham, It has a hiking trial connection, both the AT and a side trail from essentially Dolly Cobbs to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Dolly Cobbs is a group site, they may have regular sites nearby also IDK. Someone did try to camp there w/o paying and the ranger found out and changed them the full group rate, would have been cheaper for them to do this in the camp grounds down the road a bit.

Have you considered one of the hostels at Gorham, It has a hiking trial connection, both the AT and a side trail from essentially Dolly Cobbs to town.
    Dolly Copp is not a group campground. The nearby Barnes Field is. My wife is going with me. She will not be doing the hills. She will be exploring nearby and less aggressive things. We want to set up our own tent on our own site. I do not mean to sound dismissive, but a hostel would not work for this venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Arrive mid week and before noon and you should not have a problem. As Peakbagger mentioned, Moose brook state park is a quieter option and not all that far away. Closer to the services in Gorham too.
    Given the hills I have left and the drive up the 1st day and the a bunch of things that would take to long to explain, Isolation falls on a Saturday. I note that checkout is noon. Check in is 2. Is earlier the better? Or will they just turn you away if you are too early?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I don't have any experience with Dolly Copp walk ins but there is a nearby campground in Gorham at Moose Brook State Park which is similar but a few miles north (a plus is you drive by the all night breakfast place in Gorham Gooldies) . The next closest option is the White Birches Campground in Shelburne and then the Timberline campground further east on RT 2 . I intentionally didn't mention Hikers Paradise or the Barn as some spouses may object to either.

Wish you luck on the stringing together enough nice days. Isolation is quite a walk either way you go. Since you have someone driving, the Glen Boulder approach in and rocky Branch out to RT 16 is nice one. Doing an out and back either way get a bit monotonous. Keep in mind Pinkams Notch has coin op showers.
    Just reserved at White Birches. Thank you.

++ New Posts ++