WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Crotch rot/swamp crotch....causes and treatment???

After hiking this past week in the heat....sweating profusely me and my son got a rash/irritated area in that AREA(taint)!!!! How do you treat this? I had a small stick of skin glide but after the fact was useless. I even tried my dogs mushers secret! Helped a little and was better next day until the following day of hiking. I'm doing jmt this sept in a tight timeframe with higher mileage days 16mpd. I've never had this before as I never hike in hot weather. Thinking I should pack diaper rash ointment? Can't afford to get this in jmt where in under a time/ mileage schedule....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, A&D ointment always works for me, o'coarse keeping it lean at the end of the day to, then reapply.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

In a pinch, neosporin from my first aid kit has been a big help. It acts like petroleum jelly to help things slide and the antibiotics help kill off any irritating germs.

For prevention, I've found an anti friction stick by the makers of bandaid brand. The container is blue and looks like a tiny deodorant stick. I first saw it at a Walgreens and I thing I recently spied it at a Walmart. Look in first aid around ointments (like for itching). Didn't notice the Walmart price buy I seem to recall the Walgreens price was like $7-$10.

For once there is a subject I can be helpful with haha I have gotten this so bad that at the end of the day I had skin and blood smears on my shorts. No more thought as I follow these helpful tools EVERYTRIP. Always carry them and do them no matter how tired or how long you have gone without have this issue come up

1-Loose fitting shorts/ pants
    2-skin tight undies or leggings
    3-BodyGlide(not a knockoff-this stuff is made for runners and has saved my hiney several times, no pun intended)
    4-At the end of everyday or close to the end of the day of hiking BATHE, get a bandana and wash your body with spring water you will sleep tremendously better an it helps those sensitive areas heal during the night
    5-lighter pack doesn't hurt
    6-at night when you sleep change those tight underwear out for a baggy pair or if solo in tent I sleep in the buff to air out
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Paceline "Chamios Cream". favorite for cyclists. Comes in tube and small pouches

Gold Bond powder (especially the stuff in the green container) will take care of the problem. You'll know its working when you start screaming and jumping!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

all of the above, especially cleaning the area every night and sleeping in the buff to air it out if possible. I usually use a wet wipe to clean up the area, then apply copious amounts of anti-monkey butt powder.

Body glide is a life saver! No knock offs work as well as it does. Also plain cornstarch can help keep you dry and won't irritate (like some Gold Bond---ouch!!)

Garlic
    Images

If you suspect a fungus is at play, try a fungicide ointment.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I assume u apply the body glide in morning before hiking? I bought some of the little containers but don't think would be enough to cover much...yall carry the larger stick?

All great suggestions. I feel your pain. Looks like you lived up to your trail name during that hike.

Baby Monkey Butt is the best stuff I have found.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

There are a few different ways that i've dealt with the chaf. Compression underwear works well underneath pants. I dont like the heat and sweart that is till generated there but the compression u/w prevents the rubbing of skin. Another way to deal with it is to tough it out and build up some "tougher" skin down there. But that is not an ideal short term solution. My favorite way is wearing well ventilated light weight shorts with liner, no u/w. Better ventilation dries sweat plus my "thicker" or "calloused" thighs allow for a pain free zone.

I do everything Gambit does, and it has eliminated chafing for me. Even if I bathe during the day, I use a couple of baby wipes to clean the crotch area thoroughly before bed. On my JMT, I used 2.5 sticks of Body Glide over the course of the hike. Along with using it on my inner thighs/privates, I used it on my feet to prevent blisters or hot spots, and under my knee brace. A few days into my hike, I started getting some chafing under my arm from the pack strap. A generous application of BG cleared it right up. Great stuff!
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Journal Entries

Wash the salt out your undies? Before it chafes?

Ive never had issue wearing compression shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Wash the salt out your undies? Before it chafes?

Ive never had issue wearing compression shorts.
    I am with MW on this one. I do laundry daily... often that is via a long swim. Great tips if I ever do have an issue though. I am taking notes.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I assume u apply the body glide in morning before hiking? I bought some of the little containers but don't think would be enough to cover much...yall carry the larger stick?

I put it on before I start hiking. I put it on many parts of my body(waist band area, spots on my feet, shoulder where straps might rub, etc.) Which size I carry depends on how long I'm going to be hiking.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

U swim with undies and shorts on? Hiking wet would cause irritations yes? For jmt I plan to jump in the lakes daily and now thinking about bringing a separate pair of ua compression undies...always have a clean dry pair...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    U swim with undies and shorts on? Hiking wet would cause irritations yes? For jmt I plan to jump in the lakes daily and now thinking about bringing a separate pair of ua compression undies...always have a clean dry pair...

I swim everywhere I can... and yes fully clothed. Never gave it a thought. I believe the salt is a big issue. There are days I am in the water 4 or 5 times. Then again, I am from Maine. Perhaps our skin is different.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++