WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Speed Trap

Default The Speed Trap

So you're cruising along some country road, maybe even on your way to a trail head, and enjoying the drive. The road is windy, the scenery breathtaking and generally peaceful. Traffic is light and so is the population. Maybe a little road trip music is blasting, or maybe you've just got the windows down and you're breathing deep the clean air.

You take the turns clean at 55 MPH and make good time zipping along. You take the reduced speed curve noted as 45 MPH at 46 and as you come around the corner you spot three houses, a lonely looking gas station and a feed store. But this little hamlet is just another blip on your radar and you glide back up to speed as you cruise by.

A minute or two later you are yanked from your blissful drive as you note the cherries popping in your side mirror. You know what happened, you've seen it before. That blip on your radar wasn't the only radar blipping away today. So you ease down and slide to the shoulder. You pull out the insurance and reach for yer driver's license. Hoping to find a little sympathy and a warning from the uniformed fella approaching the car; you find only mirrored Ray Ban's reflecting your own pleading eyes.

Heads shake as some hidden sign in the aforementioned hamlet indicated that 35 and not 55 is the posted limit when you are "Downtown". Now luckily for you the curve slowed you down and the radar only clocked you doing 48 as you cleared the turn coming into town. Otherwise of course you'd have hit 20 over and we'd be taking a trip to the county courthouse for reckless driving. But thankfully, says the kind officer, you're just looking at a speeding ticket.

Now you'd like to bitch, maybe even add assaulting an officer to the not so friendly list of tickets, but we all know where that goes. So you nod yer head, surrender your license and take your scolding with a slight frown. The disingenuous but obligatory, "Just doing my job, have a safe day." closes the encounter.

Nobody minds much being caught fair and square, but something about a speed trap always leaves us feeling a bit cheated. We all know the law, abide when we can, but the speed traps tend to leave us a bit sour to say the least. It's a low blow, dishonorable law keeping really. While we like to think we pay this fella's salary, well sometimes this fella sees fit to pay it himself. Drum up a little revenue for the home team outta those "from away" who are passing though.

Likely as not, we won't hear all the facts. Or it may be some time before we hear any of them as the justice system generally moves with the speed of a country mule. And perhaps the fella in question has indeed been forced to consult a fancy city attorney to sort out the charges as he's found himself way over his head after a long drive.

There is a simple fact that is picture perfect, a fella did break the rules. And at least one of the tickets issued is perfectly valid. Nod yer head and take it with a slight frown.

Although this speed trap does leave us a bit sour now doesn't it.

Seems that some communication was had before that last bend in the road. That permits were issued; although the warnings and rules that accompanied them were spelled out clear as vermud. In fact it appears that the local constable could have easily handed down a stern warning before things escalated. That every opportunity to avoid disaster likely existed for both parties involved. In the good citizen travelling by and behind the mirrored Ray Ban's an eager anticipation was present in both sets of eyes.

A clean setup and eagerly anticipated outcome has given a fine opportunity for the sleepy hamlet to spread it's message to the country at large. Not that the message isn't needed, or in hindsight we couldn't guess the speed trap was coming. But still. A low blow, some dirty law keeping to say the least.

But all you can do is shake your head, frown a bit, and move on.

Now as it turns out, we do care what that little hamlet has to say. And just around their bend does sit a little spot that we like to visit. Need to visit really. So set the poorly executed delivery aside and take the message at face value. Excuse the poor manners and dirty tricks of this desperate little place. The rules are the rules, the law is the law. Even if they are playing a bit dirty, they are just doing their job.

Deep down they don't want to see the road closed just to ensure we all have a "safe" day.

Now the problem with a speed trap, what leaves us feeling cheated by it; it really didn't have much to do with the actual speeder at all. No real desire to do wrong occurred, no real crime to be fought. Simply a technicality easily walked into by any of us. Doubly so when it was laid out kindly for us to step in and tucked around a bend. No vicious blood thirsty maniac racing through town looking to run down the local kids; just a fella rolling by at the generally posted 55 enjoying the drive to the trailhead. With the windows down, taking in the scenery, breathing in the clean air.

On paper, a speed trap follows the letter of the law. In real life, all we can do is shake our heads. Frown a bit at the trap, but pay more attention to the town in which it occurred, especially since we've got a dear auntie in that town who likes cats and we'd all like to take at least one trip up with the kids to visit her.

Deep down, we all know the speed trap doesn't have anything to do with speeding.
    So fer the speeder in question, let him take the ticket and move on.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Deep down, we all know the speed trap doesn't have anything to do with speeding.
    So fer the speeder in question, let him take the ticket and move on.
    Well said. I've said before, too, that Mr Jurek stumbled into this battle by a momentary indiscretion. This wasn't his fight. He didn't choose it.

I care passionately about the underlying issues. I care not a whit for the fact that he committed a peccadillo in the public eye and inadvertently became the focus for a problem that's much bigger than he is.

And I don't call for him to apologize publicly - at least not until he gets some assurance from the authorities that he's paid his debt and the issue is settled. Otherwise, it's just too likely that they'll decide to stack criminal charges on top of the administrative violations and that any public apology will be used as an admission of guilt.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Well said, JB.

From the other side:

I sit on the side of the road looking to prevent another tragedy, last year a unattentive driver came around the turn outside of town and going 20 miles over the speed limit hit a small child ending his/her life. I remember that day like it was yesterday the mother screaming to do something as I arrived, looking and knowing that anything I do will be useless as the child's head is looking like paper pulp. The sobbing of the driver that was just out to have a good day on the trail on the outside of town and looking to get away from the 9-5 this week. I will never get that day out of my mind and I wake up screaming in the night thinking that it could have been my daughter that was walking and riding her bike down that road 10 minutes before this tragedy. My wife tries to understand and my daughter just knows that daddy has a bad dream sometimes. I haven't the heart to tell them that the training I go to each week is a councilor to help with the PTSD. All I know is that I need to keep watch over this small part of the world to help keep people safe that I care about. I don't like to sit here in this speed trap, I know that it is not fun for people that are going to the trail or just driving past my town, but it is all I can do.

I know that I am not as good telling as story or setting a stage as the OP, and I am not writing this with any criticism or any other thoughts then to show the other side because this story is true.

too long to read. what's your point?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    too long to read. what's your point?
    I believe it is a warning that there is a bush in central VA with a Ranger hiding behind it clocking hikers and ticketing anyone going over 2mph. Or did I miss the point?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post

I care passionately about the underlying issues. I care not a whit for the fact that he committed a peccadillo in the public eye and inadvertently became the focus for a problem that's much bigger than he is.
    That's really what is is..isn't it? Both sides of this silly debate of Champagne Gate are, in my opinion, missing the much bigger issue.

As you so aptly put it Kevin, he was the flash point of this long smoldering fire.

Outside Magazine has a nice summary of the real issue IMO.
    http://www.outsideonline.com/2001076...n=facebookpost

It is beyond Jurek and crystallizes an ongoing debate...

How best to preserve and protect the wild spaces while still allowing access?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by kjbrown View Post
    From the other side:

I sit on the side of the road looking to prevent another tragedy, last year a unattentive driver came around the turn outside of town and going 20 miles over the speed limit hit a small child ending his/her life. I remember that day like it was yesterday the mother screaming to do something as I arrived, looking and knowing that anything I do will be useless as the child's head is looking like paper pulp. The sobbing of the driver that was just out to have a good day on the trail on the outside of town and looking to get away from the 9-5 this week. I will never get that day out of my mind and I wake up screaming in the night thinking that it could have been my daughter that was walking and riding her bike down that road 10 minutes before this tragedy. My wife tries to understand and my daughter just knows that daddy has a bad dream sometimes. I haven't the heart to tell them that the training I go to each week is a councilor to help with the PTSD. All I know is that I need to keep watch over this small part of the world to help keep people safe that I care about. I don't like to sit here in this speed trap, I know that it is not fun for people that are going to the trail or just driving past my town, but it is all I can do.

I know that I am not as good telling as story or setting a stage as the OP, and I am not writing this with any criticism or any other thoughts then to show the other side because this story is true.
    God bless you. Much is destroyed each day by people bending things just a little bit for their convenience. I drive the speed limit... all the time. I am on high alert all the time as the weapon I am in hurls down the road. It is not just about me and my appointment. Thank you for your speed trap. I mean this. It is not just a convenient statement. May God give you rest. You deserve rest. You are saving lives. You are helping people. You deserve peace. You are the solution.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kjbrown View Post
    From the other side:

Yer side of the story sits just fine with mine and believe it or not I had a thought of a tale similar to yours as I wrote this that I cut out. In a further irony we both told our tales with the same intent and I thankee kindly fer yours.

What I'm not a big fan of is vilifying the 100th driver through the trap as the reason for it, especially when we all know better. At the heart of each is a serious issue that affects some of us right to the core. But we still need to accept that most are just passing through. Past tragedy doesn't give us the right to take it out on today's passerby- only to be vigilant in pursuit of the true goal. In both cases, rather than a citation, telling the story to each person passing by of why the speed trap was set is likely more powerful and healing for all involved.

Nor am I much for continuing to beat down a fella for something well beyond his control or ability.

Yerself included.

As someone who lives in the country, I wish our local police would start doing speed traps again. I really hate being passed at 70 MPH on a double yellow line going down the hill as I slow down to make my turn off. Always some damn tourist from away in a big hurry to get someplace else.

I drive the speed limit +5 if safe, I slow down to the speed limit when going through the little hamlets - which really drives the tourist behind me crazy and at first opportunity speed past me, often on a double yellow line. And I just think to myself - go ahead, you hit the moose at 65-70 MPH ya dang fool. It seems no matter how fast I drive, who ever is behind me wants to go faster.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

These analogies keep exaggerating the issue to make it sound like things are just arbitrary. This was not just a Joe 6pack cruising through life and getting clubbed. This was a highly publicized event that should have made every attempt to be above reproach. If Joe 6pack gets a ticket because of stupidity or ignorance or choice, he can expect anonymity. If Joe 6pack gets sponsors and has the thousands of people watch him speed, he should expect a bit less anonymity. If Joe 6pack is warned and then does the same violation and is a sponsored celebrity and acts like he did nothing... well, I would expect the internet to blow up.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 07-21-2015 at 13:50.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I slow to the posted speed limit in small towns out of respect for the people who live there. I know how I feel when some idiot drives like a maniac through my neighborhood full of kids, pets, and elderly people (older than me!), whether or not there is an incident. If it means that the guy behind me has to slow down, and might not cause an accident, so much the better. How that applies to the BSP issue, I'm not sure, except that having a little respect for other people and attempting to understand why the rules are in place (whether or not you agree with them or how they are or are not enforced) generally makes for a better place to live (and hike). IMHO.

I really don't care about the analogy, but a real question. How exactly is a speed trap set? Maybe I should drive more and cycle less

Personally, I can't think of why they are a bad thing (not really knowing how they are designed). But, to put things in perspective, speeding is also my pet peeve, I'm sick of how many people not just speed, but go way above the speed limit. Set them traps!

Speeding has become an accepted way to drive and really is only enforced for revenue purposes, no one really wants to solve the problem and it is a problem because so many of the accidents are from speeding. In fact it's not really accurate to call many of the "car accidents" accidents, rather it's recklessness, period. And we've all seem to be alright with that.

People are not only dying from these "accidents", but there are many more injuries that are much like what you see in war, yet it doesn't get near the attention, despite there being in the many many thousands of people affected. Just Crazy!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    These analogies keep exaggerating the issue to make it sound like things are just arbitrary. This was not just a Joe 6pack cruising through life and getting clubbed. This was a highly publicized event that should have made every attempt to be above reproach. If Joe 6pack gets a ticket because of stupidity or ignorance or choice, he can expect anonymity. If Joe 6pack gets sponsors and has the thousands of people watch him speed, he should expect a bit less anonymity. If Joe 6pack is warned and then does the same violation and is a sponsored celebrity and acts like he did nothing... well, I would expect the internet to blow up.
    Because of the intensity of BSPA's response, he cannot say, "I made a mistake and I'm sorry." That statement would be greeted with only derision - and no amount of restitution would ever satisfy. Moreover, such a statement could be construed as an admission of guilt if some eager prosecutor in Maine decides he's going to try to put the guy away for a charge like 'felony criminal mischief.' Given the lack of restraint so far - and issuing a press release over a couple of tickets is hardly an ordinary response to an administrative violation. I'd certainly worry about further prosecution if I were in his sneakers. Making him a felon over what is fundamentally a well-publicized indiscretion would surely be punishing him for the sins of a thousand others who preceded him.

Moreover, even without the champagne, I don't see how the hike could have been 'above reproach.' I actually believe that BSPA was looking for a flashpoint to draw attention to their legitimate grievances. Had it not been the champagne, it would have been party size - and someone as prominent as he would accrete well-wishers and hangers-on and not be able to get rid of them, leading inevitably to a too-large party even if he had started up the mountain alone. The sponsored hike would also be 'unauthorized commercial activity' (and if they were very vindictive, any trademark visible on any of his gear could be construed as 'sponsorship'. That's surely the way it works for spectators at the Olympics. He wouldn't have had to seek sponsorship.) I'm sure he didn't have direct control over the media people, and he could have been accused of that even if the media people stayed away themselves but subsequently bought some random spectator's phonecam footage. In short, they were going to get him for something - simply because he's famous and they knew it would be newsworthy.

They were probably justified in singling him out arbitrarily - which they did with the press release, not the citations. The justification is in using it as a way to call attention to the problem of the A-T being an insupportable burden to the park. But that's not about Mr. Jurek, except as one of hundreds or thousands of other hikers, a great many of whom are considerably less well-behaved than he. It's a real problem, and it deserves to be addressed.

They have demonstrated that Mr. Jurek is not above the law by citing him. Anyone less prominent would be able to make amends by paying the fines and moving on with life, hopefully having learnt a lesson.

THE INTERNET RESPONDS TO A FAMOUS PERSON'S PECCADILLO
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

This ascribes a lot of intent on Baxter. Baxter had a duty to dispel the very public perception by Scott's actions that Katahdin is party central. I do not believe Baxter is hoping to crusify him. I believe an apology would be welcome and would have healed much. There is nothing in Baxter's history that would suggest that they are hoping to litigate beyond the fines and dispelling the bad advertising. On the contrary, Baxter has been very patient. Ascribing this intent is unwarranted and furthers the perception that Baxter is the bad guy. They do not deserve such an opinion. We are not going to agree on this one. The thought that an apology could be valuable to an over zealous prosecutor is silly. There is already a film record of the offenses. The film shows the alcohol. The film shows it being spilled. The very existence of the film is a violation. None of this would be that big if he was not sponsored and warned. An evil Maine lawyer would not need an apology if he was bent on destruction. The film admits what any redundant information an apology could reveal.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 07-21-2015 at 16:27.

What's worst of all is there could have been two good guys.

Really good guys.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 07-22-2015 at 09:15. Reason: Deleted verbose and inaccurate information

Images

Yet ANOTHER Scott Jurek thread ? Yikes. I sure got suckered into reading this one by the title......

Well I am equally pissed that people continue to ascribe all kinds of wild intent to Baxter. All Scott had to do was to say that he was exhausted and not making perfect decisions and in retrospect should have done it different. That explanation is likely the truth and would have been credible. Had that happened, we would not he here. Instead people continue to dump on Baxter and Maine. The gasoline is the insults continually hurled at Maine and Baxter because they rightfully said that katahdin is not a bar to a very public display that said otherwise. There is nothing nice about equating Baxter to speed traps or crazy cat ladies. I put these things on ignore as fast as they come up. And yes, I react every time someone pisses on Baxter or Maine.

And by the way, I am not the one that keeps creating fairy tales designed to make a person (who was warned but yet ignored the warning) into the sweet innocent hero, while ascribing evil intent to Baxter.

And another I hate Maine thread goes on ignore.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 07-21-2015 at 17:09.

i agree with JB in post #16. BSP shoulda done something many years ago. they look like the ass now. go Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post

And another I hate Maine thread goes on ignore.
    oh puhleeze!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++