WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Any plans in connecting the hut to the highland center via rail? There is the abandoned train station at the AT crossing on a active tourist rail line, which if put back into service would link the 2 places (as the highland center has a rail stop), also a link into N. Conway.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    It will be interesting to hear the local reaction to this. I seem to remember the Highland Center being a bone of contention in the permit renewal process. It is hard for local businesses to compete against a 'nonprofit' offering the same services.
    Not with the prices the AMC charges.

I've been reading about the camping rules around the Whites and find them very confusing. I know dispersed camping options are limited but they do exist. Would the camping exclusion zone around a new hut eliminate existing options for camping?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I've been reading about the camping rules around the Whites and find them very confusing. I know dispersed camping options are limited but they do exist. Would the camping exclusion zone around a new hut eliminate existing options for camping?
    Yes. Camping is not allowed within 1/4 mile of an established site of ay kind. It really is not as hard as it seems. I am an OCD planner. It drove me bananas trying to get solid mapped areas where I could sleep. Signs are everywhere. As you approach an established site, a "you are here" sign will be visible giving clear instructions. As you approach an alpine region, a "don't camp here" sign will be posted. Some people rip the signs down. After you have seen a few, you will know what was there. It is sorta like seeing stop signs or yield signs. The very shape is enough. In between those areas, you will find many stealth spots. Honestly, it isn't that hard to plan your distances to hit the cheaper campsites (not huts). If you don't like campsites, push on a bit and you will find a spot.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    There are a great many dispersed camping opportunities in the Whites.

If you don't camp above tree-line, or within 1/4 mile of road or structure you ar generally OK within the White Mountain National Forest --with the additional requirement that you walk 200' off trail in some (not all) Wilderness areas.

There are specific restrictions-- as detailed in formal Forest Supervisor's Orders, but these are generally in high use (over use) areas.

Along the AT there is another kind of restriction, however -- a lack of decent spots in some stretches -- especially if you "need" to be near a water source or have a big tent.

Note National Forest guidelines would not apply to the new hut as its on state land but very close to the WMNF. I think Lonesome Lake is on state land and they do enforce a 1/4 buffer so the state may use the same rules

Journal Entries
    Images

[IMG]file:///page5image1432[/IMG]

Journal Entries
    Images

I am sure the ATC will have some input, but if this goes forward it would make sense to route the AT back into the woods at the end of the Ethan Pond Trail.

image.jpg

Question for Peakbagger-- Have you or any of your fellow hikers on VFTT bushwhacked to the proposed hut location? Given the name the AMC selected, it would seem like that it could have some interesting natural features.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++