WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default trail runners for heavier guys

I am 5'8", and about 195-200 lbs. I have been wearing Oboz Yellowstone boots for backpacking for about two years now. I am ready to make the switch to some lighter trail runners. I found out what you guys meant about once water gets in a waterproof boot, it stays wet. So I know to get trail runners that aren't gore tex, and that drain well.

It's so confusing that there are so many choices out there. I like the Altras except people seem to all say they wear out very quickly, and these are normal size people.

I am just looking for input from guys who are stocky like me. My pack is typically 26lbs for weekends, so I am pushing 225 total weight! I usually take a normal width, but maybe on the edge of wide, as Nikes seem to be too narrow for me. I hear most Salomons run narrow, so that may eliminate them for me.

Any suggestions would be great. I hear good things about Newton BOCO (but no retailers in my area), and Innov-8. I also browsed Amazon, and several Adidas models looked promising, especially the AX2, but when something is that reasonably priced, I usually question it! lol

I have an easy 30 pounds on you and I stick with New Balances with Montrail heat moldable inserts. I live and use them in the whites and did about 3/4 of the AT with them over the years. They change models every year but I would probably buy the New Balance 510v2 as they look like my prior versions and they come in extra wide. Their sizing it odd and if you get the Montrail insert (from another source) you may need to go up a size.

I'm about 5-10, 190 and have had great success with Brooks Cascadias. Ultimately, you'll have to try them out in a store and see what feels comfortable. There are lots of options and what works for me may not work well for you.

Images

Peakbagger and Caleb, thanks for the input! We have a New Balance store nearby, and I can try the Brooks on at Dicks.

Newtons-
    They have a new system with those lugs... haven't tried that. Otherwise the pair I got was okay for jogging, but that rocker system they have in the front gets in your way on the trail.

Altras-
    I get 400-500 miles out of mine. The only one I trashed thus far is a pair of Lone Peaks, but that was on the LT during a speed hike and I punished them badly. The trail versions do not hold up well on pavement. I have, or have used, Instinct, Torin, Superior, Lone Peak, Olympus. I wore a pair of Instincts for over 2 years working in them.

They are my favorite by far, but they are zero drop shoes and that takes some time to get used to. But once you do...
    The Oympus is the "high cush" model. These do wear fastest.
    The Torin and Lone Peak are about right and remain my main shoes. The Lone Peak is better on tough trail, the Torin is fine for most other stuff and the tread wears slower if you run into alot of rock.

I am very happy so far with the new Superior... Maybe 100-150 miles on them and feeling great. Very light. (they do run half size small though)

Innov-8, Brooks Cascadia, and Solomon remain very popular shoes, though typically you will find them with at least 4mm of heel up to 12mm. While all shoes are going towards a lower heel a bit, a traditional shoe has a 12mm or so heel.

Even worse to fit than packs, are shoes.
    Go to a good running store and get fitted- twice.
    Find out if you need a support shoe or a neutral shoe.

The thing that wears fastest by the way is the cush. If you are on clean trail uppers will last much longer than the midsole foam. The more cush, the faster they will wear out (feel dead). The longest lasting shoes I have are my various versions of Merrell Road Glove shoes. Learning to walk a little softer helps big time too.

In shape, I'm 190. In fatherhood, 215.

Images

Take a look at Salomon XA Pro 3D.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The thing that wears fastest by the way is the cush. If you are on clean trail uppers will last much longer than the midsole foam. The more cush, the faster they will wear out (feel dead). The longest lasting shoes I have are my various versions of Merrell Road Glove shoes. Learning to walk a little softer helps big time too.
    I've used a couple of pair of Trail Gloves (and one pair of Road Gloves). My issue with them was that the mesh sides always wore out around 200 miles. Also, the tread depth wasn't adequate for slick trails. Have you had better luck with them?

Images

Good ideas from everyone. I really liked what I read about the Lone Peaks, but saw a review on Outdoor Gear Lab where the tread was gone after 50 miles. Also finding someone who carries them is pretty difficult, and I hate buying something without trying it on. The only place within 25 miles of me is a running store, and they don't carry any Altra trail shoes, just road shoes.

Images

Great Outdoor Provision Company, right down the shopping center from my office, has Brooks Cascadia 10's for $60 in their summer clearance sale! May have to go check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I've used a couple of pair of Trail Gloves (and one pair of Road Gloves). My issue with them was that the mesh sides always wore out around 200 miles. Also, the tread depth wasn't adequate for slick trails. Have you had better luck with them?
    Oops... guess it's good you asked-
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en/bare-ac...il/17265M.html

Bare access line, not the glove.
    I hated the trail glove, you could feel every nub on the sole right through the sole, felt like walking with peas in your socks... I doubt I hit a 100 miles in those.

Bare access I have had very good luck with. They are my daily wear shoe, also my dancin' shoes to steal the runners term. I don't backpack in them much outside the midwest though. Our trails are generally a bit kinder, so I do switch to Altras on anything serious just in case- torin is usually enough for me- but the new superior is quickly becoming a favorite. Almost as light as the Merrells but with a lone peak like grip.

You do have some slick local trails if I recall correctly though. That mix of hard clay with a bit of forest duff/soil on top... I have yet to find a good shoe for that at any speed. Only thing you can to there is keep that foot centered under you and your posture good. And accept you're gunna fall a few times if you push it, lol.

I will say- if anyone is looking to strengthen their feet or try zero drops or minimal shoes... the Bare Access is one of the best shoes for it. Especially if you are lucky enough to wear them at work like me. They hold up very well on pavement.

They are closer to a mid level of cush, the glove series had no cush...
    Not having any meat to attach the upper may be part of the quick mesh wear. I've seen similar reports on the New Balance zeros also.

Images

I wore Salomon XA Comp for years, usually with Superfeet insoles (green). For the LT last year I switched to Inov8 Roclite 295, which have amazing traction even on wet rock, but they were a little too flexible and I ended up with a stress fracture and some ankle issues when I got home.

So I started looking for really light mesh trail runners with a little more stiffness in the sole, and found the La Sportiva Wildcat. They are much stiffer in the sole, but still light and lots of mesh. The only downside is they don't stick to wet rock, which can be an issue -- I fell a few times on our longer hike this summer. OK, another possible downside is that they have a fair amount of drop from heel to toe - I got used to the very flat Roclites. I have a couple of hundred miles on them and they seem to be holding up well so far. I do use a pair of thin Sole insoles in them to keep my foot from flattening out too much.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I'm on my 4th pair of Montrail's Mountain Masochist. They have a very good plate, good grip, generous toe box, and they drain well. I can't say they are long lasting shoes, but I've also been on the heavy side and use them for backpacking and trail running.

I tried the Salomons, but I found that didn't drain well. Otherwise, they felt great on the foot.

I've used the Inov8 with good success and they may actually be better for running than the Masochist. But to me, they are just not as tough for rocky terrain. For now for the AT, I'm sticking with Montrail.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Good ideas from everyone. I really liked what I read about the Lone Peaks, but saw a review on Outdoor Gear Lab where the tread was gone after 50 miles. Also finding someone who carries them is pretty difficult, and I hate buying something without trying it on. The only place within 25 miles of me is a running store, and they don't carry any Altra trail shoes, just road shoes.
    The rubber is pretty grippy, but the trade-off is wear.
    The early ones were very bad, 2nd and third versions much better- but if you're on pavement or lots of open rock they do wear fast. I have mixed stuff by me, you usually have to walk a bike path or crushed gravel trail to string any distance together and in that type of use they don't hold up well. I save the Lone Peaks for rough stuff or off trail.

Torin or Olympus do though. And they both do fine on anything but the slickest crap on trail.

On the trail, the Lone Peaks are fine IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    ... Also finding someone who carries them is pretty difficult, and I hate buying something without trying it on. The only place within 25 miles of me is a running store, and they don't carry any Altra trail shoes, just road shoes.
    You could try http://www.zappos.com/ Free shipping both ways. I ordered 5 pairs wore them around the house for a few days and then returned 4 pairs. I was hoping that I would end up with two pairs but not this time. They are very quick with shipping, returns are really easy, and they return your money quickly too.

I would rather shop local but there is not a lot of choice.

+1 on zappos.com

Images

Visited 5 outfitters and Dicks Sporting Goods.

i measured 10 length, 10.5 arch length, and E width

Tried on and failed on: salomon XA Pro 3 D in wide, Adidas ax2, two types of Salewas, all of which were too narrow, even in 11's.

two finalists were Adidas terrex Fast and Merrill All Out Rush. The Merrills won out because they felt so good on my feet, with plenty of toe room. I ended up getting size 11.5.

weird how you can measure 10 or 10.5, and end up needing 11.5's

no one carried Newtons, Altras, brooks, or Innov8

Journal Entries

Decent sale on the Altra Instinct 2.0 now if interested:

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/ins...20#prod-bottom

Images

the Merrell's ended up to be too big when I walked on the treadmill with an incline, so I went back and traded them (the local outfitter did not have size 11's) for the Adidas Terrex Fast R's, non Gore Tex...took them out for a 6 mile hike today and they felt great.

I had had never seen or heard of these before, and I don't think they are technically trail runners. More of a multipurpose shoe, leaning towards trail runners..

Images

I am about 220, carry a 25-28lb pack all in..............find that I want something a bit "beefier" that trail runners.

Do like Superfeet, they help in several ways, have Keen low tops and they are working the best so far for me. Have tried Vasque, Salomons, etc, etc

Journal Entries
    Images

While I qualify on the 'heavier guys' I'm still a boot wearing deadender novice so I have nothing constructive to add to this thread. I do like my Lowa Renegades tho, goretex and all.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++