WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Do thru hikers have a tendency to not throw out old trail shoes?

I know this seems like a really silly question and I had second thoughts on asking BUT...Do thru hikers have a tendency to keep that pair of worn out shoes they walked 1200 miles in? Kind of like a trail scar? Fun to look at and think about 10 or 20 years later? I have watched quite a few trail shoe vids on you tube and I notice that many hikers speak about old trail shoes as if they are an extension of themselves.

Im not knocking it at all. I would probably keep my old trail shoes if I could.

I throw out old shoes. Once the last is shot, I'm done with them. Life hands me enough baggage without deliberately creating extra.

they send them to neel gap and litter the tree in front of the store with them

Journal Entries

Used shoes are like old girlfriends.

Some, are simply good riddance.

Some, you dont want to completely say goodbye to, until you are sure you will never ever need them again.

Some are just sentimental and you want a keepsake

I donate old trail and road runners to Goodwill every year.

Images

I rotate them into the "work in the yard" pile, then those get tossed when they are totally trashed.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I'm with Big Cranky. I always keep a few pairs around for house painting, for water shoes, or other destructive purposes.

Images

I wear them to work! It is amazing how good a worn out pair of trail runners can look. By the way 1200 miles is asking for trouble.

Great stuff! It seems some are definitely more nostalgic toward their old hiking shoes than others. I imagine they would make great boat shoes and walkin' the dog. I think I would frame them on my wall if I ever make it that far.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by denimlabels View Post
    Great stuff! It seems some are definitely more nostalgic toward their old hiking shoes than others. I imagine they would make great boat shoes and walkin' the dog. I think I would frame them on my wall if I ever make it that far.
    I would look for mine in th garage and post a picture, but I am too shy to go first.

I don't hold on to much crap, but ....

I can be one of those LD hikers who recycles hiking footwear. Let's see. I have three pr of $120+ trail runners for working in the garden, mowing the lawn, weed wacking a stream's edge behind the house, wading/beach combing the Pacific in Hawaii, paddling activities, doing painting chores, engine tune ups, etc. I often replace the more expensive hiking orthotics/after market footbeds of these retired trail runners and replace with cheaper ones like the stock crap most trail runners come with. If you ever notice a tall thin guy with deep tan and a content attitude in Alpharetta or Kona mowing the lawn or working on a PU wearing once pricey trail runners and beat up Smartwool or Icebreaker tee, Smartwool or Darn Tough ankle socks, and nylon GoLite or New Balance running shorts it's me.

I take my LD hiking and physical health seriously. I never put 1200 trail miles on any of my trail runners.

I built a tree fort for my nephew. I used the soles from a pr of trail runners I used on a PCT thru as flexible door hinges.

Oh, forgot. I have some curly parsley growing in an old mid cut hiking shoe in the garden and use the other one for storing some garden hand tools, horticultural tape, small file, and plant tags.

I think old trail-worn shoes tend to be too stinky to save as souvenirs.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I still have my Limmers that I wore on the AT, LT, PCT, Ice Age Trail and many other shorter trails.

My boots went into the garbage at Monson, then walked through another pair, and they go in the trash. I never want to see them again!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think old trail-worn shoes tend to be too stinky to save as souvenirs.
    Taking the old beaten up footbeds out of them, washing well with the hose and/or soaking in a bucket containing a solution of McNetts Mirazyme, letting dry thoroughly, and then replacing the footbeds with the original cheap crap stock footbeds, and the oh door goes away. Of course, that entails not wearing your hiking shoes until they literally fall apart.

My retired shoes become lawn mowing shoes. When I retire the next pair, I get new lawnmowing shoes and the old ones get ditched.

++ New Posts ++