WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default A Guide to Public Transportation Along the Appalachian Trail

I put this together and figured it would be good info to put here: http://gettherefromanywhere.weebly.c...alachian-trail

Images

I like it. Thanks for the effort.

levibarry

Images

Great resource !!

Two additions for your great listing:

In Bennington, VT - Green Mountain Express Transit Services also goes north to Manchester, VT
    In Manchester, VT - The Bus goes to Rutland, VT
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Great resource !!

Two additions for your great listing:

In Bennington, VT - Green Mountain Express Transit Services also goes north to Manchester, VT
    In Manchester, VT - The Bus goes to Rutland, VT
    Thanks, Jeff. I actually stayed at the Green Mountain House last June.

I'll add in the Manchester stuff, I didn't realize how close to Manchester Center it was and didn't think it would be that useful to hikers. I should have a Long Trail version up in the next day or two also.

Thanks for doing this. Makes it easier to plan a section hike with options when dealing with a hard end date in case the daily mileage doesn't go as planned (below or above).

Thanks for pulling this together! It will be super helpful for me. I have done nearly 500 miles almost exclusively by transit (a few short shuttles and hitches) and am starting to explore how to do the next 500 and this will be great for it.

CAT Route 23 to and from Harrisburg - Duncannon 322 & 147 Clarks Ferry Park & Ride, directly across the road from trailhead. once per day out of Harrisburg, once per day into Harrisburg. Download PDF schedule here. http://www.cattransit.com/wp-content...g-5-26-152.pdf

Trailways has a pickup on Rt 322, not sure of location because last hiker I shuttled for that was given wrong location.

Megabus, a cheaper alternative than Greyhound departs from the Harrisburg East Mall Parking Lot

Images

Thanks Mary, I'll and those in and see if I can find out about the Trailways station.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Another one to add

The Martz Bus Station just north of Delaware Water Gap is also a stop for a Greyhound bus, direct to Philadelphia.

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/bus.htm

Here's some links to my experiences with mass transit-
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1839605

And DWG more specifically:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1487840

Quote Originally Posted by nyrslr21 View Post
    Thanks Mary, I'll and those in and see if I can find out about the Trailways station.
    It's not a station. It's a stop at maybe Ranch House Restaurant or some other business.

I put this together and figured it would be good info to put here: http://gettherefromanywhere.weebly.c...alachian-trail
    Quick correction for High Point, NJ. Train station is MTA Metro North line and is Port Jervis, NY. (It connects with NJ Transit)

Great list, deserves a sticky

Another one to add. Amtrak has service (via a bus connection at Lynchburg) to both Blackburg VA and Roanoake VA which could be listed under Pearisburg, Catawba, and Daleville. Last summer I flew to BWI, commuter train to DC, Amtrak to Lynchburg, connecting bus to Roanoke, shuttle drive to trail. Exhausting, but it worked.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Quick correction for High Point, NJ. Train station is MTA Metro North line and is Port Jervis, NY. (It connects with NJ Transit)
    It's a little confusing up there. My understanding is that Metro North owns the stations in NY but they are serviced by NJ Transit trains. The NJ Transit site is the correct place to get the schedule. It's definitely in NY though and I've corrected that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    It's not a station. It's a stop at maybe Ranch House Restaurant or some other business.
    I found the addresses listed for Fullington Trailways and for a Greyhound stop, but I couldn't find any information on what those addresses are.

Greyhound
    Bus station address: 205 Mill Street, Duncannon, PA 17020
    Fullington Tours
    Bus station address: 685 N Market Street, Duncannon, PA 17020

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Another one to add. Amtrak has service (via a bus connection at Lynchburg) to both Blackburg VA and Roanoake VA which could be listed under Pearisburg, Catawba, and Daleville. Last summer I flew to BWI, commuter train to DC, Amtrak to Lynchburg, connecting bus to Roanoke, shuttle drive to trail. Exhausting, but it worked.
    Thanks, I'll add this in. As someone who has taken overnight buses from NYC up to the Whites and started hiking as soon as I got up there numerous times, I know how the travel can take more out of you than the hikes sometimes.

================================================== ===================
    You put a lot of work into this. But it confirms something I've always known: Bus service to the AT is much more plentiful in the north than in the south. Your write-up skips from Georgia to Virginia because public transportation is very sparse in between. I suppose conditions are better in the north because of the proximity of New York City.

Just be aware that public transportation schedules are in a constant state of flux, and a lot can change in two years. The Cherokee Indian nation was running a bus across the GSMNP from Cherokee to Gatlinburg at one time, but it didn't last very long.

++ New Posts ++