WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Down Time During Resupply

In Sept, I am going NOBO from GA/NC line to Fontana Dam. Does anyone have a rough idea of the "down time" I might experience during a resupply in Franklin, NC? Is there a lot of traffic to try to get a hitch into and out of town? Is there a place for a quick 3 day resupply within walking distance of the trail? I am trying to resupply as quickly as possible since I am on some time restraints on this section hike. Thank you in advance for your guidance and expertise.--Turk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

Franklin is 10 miles from the trail on a major road, US 64. It's known as a pretty easy hitch, and there are some large supermarkets on that same road as you come into town - plus some fast food and a bbq place for a quick meal. Hitching back should be no problem, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

No need to resupply anywhere but NOC, which is on the trail, for that part. Id skip Franklin. Way too much hassle.

If you hike 8 mpd, that would change things. But any reasonable pace makes Franklin not needed.

Its 59 miles from Bly Gap to NOC. 5 days at 12mpd. You dont need Breakfast first day, or dinner last, so 4.5 days food is all you need. If you do 15mpd, its 3.5 days food.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-25-2015 at 20:21.

I am hiking with a buddy who is a little slower, partially due to pack weight, so I wanted to resupply in Franklin and the NOC so we are only carrying 3 days of food for each of the early segments to save weight.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I am hiking with a buddy who is a little slower, partially due to pack weight, so I wanted to resupply in Franklin and the NOC so we are only carrying 3 days of food for each of the early segments to save weight.
    Taking 1/2 day or more to go into Franklin and resupply will be overall be slower than carrying 3 lbs extra food per person.

Carrying less, will be more comfortable however.

I would plan it to get to Franklin in the late afternoon, and then spend the night there, and leave out the next morning to maximize the benefit , and minimize the time lost. Another dinner and breakfast you dont have to carry as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-25-2015 at 20:28.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

I would plan it to get to Franklin in the late afternoon, and then spend the night there, and leave out the next morning to maximize the benefit , and minimize the time lost. Another dinner and breakfast you dont have to carry as well.
    +1, only because I like showers and food prepared by professionals.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    In Sept, I am going NOBO from GA/NC line to Fontana Dam
    There's no easy way to the GA/NC line that isn't on trail (you need to find the local paved roads then walk a forest service road). Most start at Dick's Creek Gap which makes it about 67.5 miles.to NOC.

++ New Posts ++