WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow Springs

Images

Jensine's post lets me feel that I have her implied permission to post a Private Message I sent her at almost the same moment she was posting her message above. My post (and a few more comments) are below:

"Jensine, you and I have had some "issues" about Rainbow Springs, but my feeling has been "tell people about what I don't like and let them make their own decision." But there's no doubt you provide a facility that a lot of people like (and I'd like, too, if you ever want to have a discussion about them!)

"But I was shocked to see that the AT Mailing List is having a debate about how it sounds like the ALDHA is considering "delisting" you for the coming year. If you didn't know about this, obviously you should. I think that's wrong (and no, I'm not being inconsistent).

"If you didn't know about it, you should get copies of these posts from the ATML and learn more. If it really is happening, I think that a post here to suggest that people write the ALDHA in your support would be appropriate, and I'd be glad to be the one to put that post up here, by copying this post, with your permission. My position to ALDHA would be just as I said above: I don't agree with how RSCG does some of its things, but I know of many others who like it and respect its owners and how they operate, and it should NOT be 'delisted.'

--------

If you read my original post, you'll see that I don't agree with some of the things that Rainbow Springs did (and may or may not still do). But while I don't think the Companion should simply be a AAA Guide that lists any damn place along the trail that exists, no matter how noxious, that's not what this is about: Even if I'm right (and there was a big debate about THAT!), the essence of my post was that RS was not, in '00, what I considered "hiker friendly".

But I never thought that was a criterion for listing in either the Companion or the Guide: Grocery stores and other suppliers are listed that may or may not be "friendly" to hikers; many simply accept all customers and may not go out of their way to make life for a thruhiker "welcome and respected". But they are still listed. And they should be.

So I do strongly suggest that positive comments from people about RS be issued, NOW, to the ALDHA (and, yes, to Wingfoot), if that is how you feel. It would be wrong for Rainbow Springs - or, for that matter, Uncle Johnny's - to be dropped.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Default ALDHA Endorsement

Sorry Weasel, I haven't seen your private post yet. First, I NEVER mentioned ATML or WF, that is not at issue here. What I did say I received an email from John O, editor of the Companion stating he was going to remove us from the Companion if he got one more complaint.
    But, he never stated what the complaints were, who made them or when they were made. It seems pretty ironic to me that the majority of thru hikers we see are here in Mar. Apr. and May, why did he notify me at the end of Oct. It's also alittle ironic that this was sent to me at 9:02 a.m. Sunday morning, just after the Gathering. The Companion is not the hiker bible. All info in it and other guide books is at least one year old when the new addition comes out. And
    should be relied on only as it's title suggest, "it's a GUIDE",
    nothing written in stone.
    Thanks for offering your assistance, right now I'm just not doing anything except waiting for a reply from John O.
    Jensine

here's a notation i made in my journal on april 17th. 2000, after i and my partner, "bones", stayed a night at rainbow springs.

"Stayed overnight at Rainbow Springs Campground. Supplemented our food supply. Our little cabin was very rustic, very tiny, and very clean. Contrary to what we heard, we found the management to be really nice and their prices fair. I think some hikers want everything for nothing and when they don't get it, they give the establishment a bad rap".

the only complaints i heard in 2000 were about money, so i stand by my assessment. as i remember it, there were a couple of injured hikers staying that night and the proprietors bent over backwards to help them out. i'll probably go back in 2003, if it works out.

Images

Chief --- Then you might ask Jensine if she'd like a "praise" letter to ALDHA. It would be wrong for RS to be delisted by them.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Chief, the Weasel make a great suggestion. Don't let one bad apple ruin the whole lot.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I spent the month of april 2000 at rainbow springs ..I had some problems and some good times ...I was ready to leave at the end of the month.

My main gripe was I had hiked south for the yearly ga trail club southern sweep clean-up ..I started at deep gap and meet bilbo at plum orchard shelter...she was strugggling and we talked and I told her about rainbow springs campground and that I would meet her there in a few days ..also told her that she could stay in my Airstream until I got back...she didn't she rented a cabin( which supplied $$ to rainbow springs) bilbo left a message in the office that she was there and I went to see her ..we went to Fontana the next day ( I had a truck)...took the scenic route (as she was going to miss this section) going by wesser bald and then to NOC and up 28 to Fontana..where we had dinner ...a great day we had ..the next day when I saw jenisine she told me she Knew that I took bilbo to fontana and that I could not do that ...couldn't do what ...spend a day with a friend that I meet on the trail in a different state??? Maybe buddy wanted to take bilbo to lunch.. I will not be staying there again!

I have other incidents ( buffalo soldier) too that I will not take the time to go into.
    Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 12-31-2002 at 16:26.

I've not seen Rainbow Springs discussed in a while. Anyone know the story this spring (2005) for sure? Will they open or are they closed for the migration?
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

It's history. Only bulldozers and condo builders will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead
    It's history. Only bulldozers and condo builders will be there.
    I'm glad I got to spend a night there before it vanished. It was just last March.
    Fortunately, the memories will remain.

It was never a really great place, but Bryson's book made it an important stop on the pilgrimage.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Default Rainbow Springs

Just an update as to what we know is going on. No, NO bulldozers, etc. We
    knew that would never happen, since we knew the lay of the land for 18 yrs.
    Not enough usable land to build on. But, they have either sold or donated all
    the store furnishing, got rid of the woodstove in the old bunkhouse, sold the
    picnic tables and firerings on the campsites. The place looks like a dump and
    I almost cry everytime we go by. Last we heard the 3 owners will divide the
    land and possibly each build them a home. Oh, they are trying to sell all the
    new as of 2003, low flush toilets they bought!!! What a dumb thing to purchse when you have hikers who haven't had a "good one" since Dick's Creek or before. LOL!!
    Jensine

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jensine
    Just an update as to what we know is going on. No, NO bulldozers, etc. We
    knew that would never happen, since we knew the lay of the land for 18 yrs.
    Not enough usable land to build on. But, they have either sold or donated all
    the store furnishing, got rid of the woodstove in the old bunkhouse, sold the
    picnic tables and firerings on the campsites. The place looks like a dump and
    I almost cry everytime we go by. Last we heard the 3 owners will divide the
    land and possibly each build them a home. Oh, they are trying to sell all the
    new as of 2003, low flush toilets they bought!!! What a dumb thing to purchse when you have hikers who haven't had a "good one" since Dick's Creek or before. LOL!!
    Jensine
    Hey Jensine. How's your buddy Bryson doing? he he

Little Bear
    GA-ME 2000
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[QUOTE=flyfisher]I'm glad I got to spend a night there before it vanished.
    ======================================
    I second that !! Had a memorable night there in 2003 with the gang ...Nemo, T-Bird, Tank, Cuz, Swampass and Semi-sweet, just to name a few.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I am sorry to hear about RS being gone; an awful lot of hikers stayed there over the years.

Questions for Lone Wolf, as he knows this area of the Trail as well as anyone:

With RS being closed, it looks like a lot of hikers will be heading into Franklin this year for re-supply and other things. I've only been into Franklin a couple of times, and it wasn't recently. In your opinion:

*What is the best (i.e.most-hiker friendly and affordable) place to stay in Franklin? Is there any motel you particularly recommend? If so, why?

*Where's the best place to eat? (I.e. best food/best value)

*Do you know which motels (if any) have laundry facilities?

*If one stays at the Microtel near K-Mart, how long a walk is this from the Post Office?

*Thanx for any input

The only motel I've ever stayed at in 18 years is The Franklin Motel. It's located right across the street from a laundromat, Ingles grocery and 2 damn good diners. The PO is a mile away and a Western Sizzler AYCE is .4 of a mile away. In the motel office is a phone # list of folks willing to shuttle you back to the trail for a donation. These are trail maintainers mostly.

I had a good time at Rainbow Springs as well. I am sad to hear it is gone.

Thanks for your hospitality Jensine.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    There is a joint called the Motor Car Grill in Franklin. The place is like an old timey Diner, and has nice burgers, fries, and great milkshakes. I have stopped there several times in the last year while passing through Franklin, and I HIGHLY recommend it!

Here's a photo from the gallery;

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/3
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    *What is the best (i.e.most-hiker friendly and affordable) place to stay in Franklin? Is there any motel you particularly recommend? If so, why?

*Do you know which motels (if any) have laundry facilities?
    =============================================
    I've stayed at the Microtel twice during hikes through the Franklin area. Folks who operate the place seemed very eager to cater to thru-hikers. At my suggestion they placed a log book at the front desk where hikers could sign in and leave messages for other hikers. They do have on-site laundry facilities. There is an outfitter in easy walking distance (3 Eagles ...I think it's called). Never did need the Post Office when I was in Franklin so I can't say exactly how close it is but I'm pretty sure it's at the other end of town. Last but not least ...there is a Pizza Hut and another family style restaurant very close to the Microtel. As you mentioned Jack ...the K-Mart is walkable and in that same shopping center there is an AYCE oriental restaurant and a laundramat.

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

While in Franklin, consider a visit to Fat Buddies BBQ, and go for the ribs. It is in the KMart shopping center.

Microtel has a great reputation, especially with proximity of the Shoney's. But the Franklin Motel and the nearby diners are classic places to stay and visit. It is a shame that Franklin is so far from the trail.

And Franklin is your first major "wet" trail town.

Helen and Hiawassee, before Franklin, are "wet" too.

I wouldn't dream of going to a Flatlander Touristy town like Helen, and I'd never consider going wet while staying at the Blueberry Patch - maybe the Holiday Inn, but not the BP.

But by the time you reach Franklin, all bets are off. Jamisons would be my flavor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++