WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How many night did you camp out of sight from the AT?

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,145
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default Camping off trail

    It seems many hikers prefer to camp very near the Trail. Others like to walk a ways into the woods.

    This poll asks thruhikers and section hikers how often they selected campsites that were far enough into the woods that they could not be seen from the AT.

  2. #2
    Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Join Date
    09-27-2002
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Age
    73
    Posts
    7,149
    Images
    90

    Default

    Whenever I didn't stay at/near a shelter I tried to get far enough off trail so as not to be seen by passing hikers.

    'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

  3. #3
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,145
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    That's my style as a weekender, too. I prefer finding a small stream and following it into the woods quite a distance.

    That said, for a long time I felt uncomfortable walking even a couple hundred feet into the woods. Not sure why.

  4. #4
    Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Join Date
    09-27-2002
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Age
    73
    Posts
    7,149
    Images
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    That said, for a long time I felt uncomfortable walking even a couple hundred feet into the woods. Not sure why.
    =============================================
    I've always been just the opposite. What I enjoy is getting far enough off trail so that I am within eyeshot of the trail but far enough into the woods so that everyone passing by doesn't feel the need to wander in my direction to pay a visit. What I have noticed over the years is that animals employ somewhat the same strategy.

    'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

  5. #5

    Default I camp away from "recreational" shelters

    On our section hike this year in VT, we camped one night out of sight of Governor Clement and the trail due to all the stories we had heard about "recreationers". Just before dark, curiousty got the better of me and I went to take a peek. Sure enough, no one was at the shelter, but it was not a shelter we would stay in anyway - too old, dark, depressing. Around 2am, we heard some ATV's cruising around, followed by gunfire down the forest road. This went on for about an hour. Apparently, our out of sight camp needed to be out of gunfire range as well. It was quite a fright night with little sleep! I will always camp away from shelters close to (un)civilization.

    We reported our 2am wake-up call to the trail maintainer on Killington the next day. She filled out a report. Apparently, the local trail club or forest service (not sure which, or both) are trying to get the forest road closed. The local town has been hesitant to do so, because they fear losing out of towners coming to "recreate" and spend money in town. This kind of "recreationers" are not needed here or anywhere else.

  6. #6
    Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Join Date
    09-27-2002
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Age
    73
    Posts
    7,149
    Images
    90

    Default

    [quote=Tin Man]On our section hike this year in VT, we camped one night out of sight of Governor Clement and the trail due to all the stories we had heard about "recreationers".
    ============================================
    I remember the area around that shelter well from my 2003 thru. The shelter itself was darn right scary. There were spent pistol and rifle cartridges lying around on the ground and some pretty dramatic grafiti on the walls of the shelter. I was just passing through after coming out of N. Clarendon but if I was going to overnight in that area it would be nowhere near that shelter.

    'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

  7. #7

    Default

    [QUOTE=Footslogger]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    On our section hike this year in VT, we camped one night out of sight of Governor Clement and the trail due to all the stories we had heard about "recreationers".
    ============================================
    I remember the area around that shelter well from my 2003 thru. The shelter itself was darn right scary. There were spent pistol and rifle cartridges lying around on the ground and some pretty dramatic grafiti on the walls of the shelter. I was just passing through after coming out of N. Clarendon but if I was going to overnight in that area it would be nowhere near that shelter.

    'Slogger
    The burned out car along the forest road didn't help our impression of the area either. I recommend cruising through Governor Clemont early and if you must camp, do so 2 miles before you reach it and hike through early am. Scary is right!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-04-2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    498

    Default

    My most interesting off-trail night was when I got lost in the Smokies and ended up atop LaConte Peak.

  9. #9

    Default

    I remember hearing the horror stories about the Governor Clement shelter last year and deciding to avoid it. There was rumored to be a 'secret shelter' somewhere in the area - find the right road crossing, look for a note under a rock, and follow the directions. I figured I'd shoot for the secret shelter instead. However, I couldn't find the note at the end of a long, hard day and was a bit bummed out. (My splitting headache wasn't helping matters any.) I ended up camping in the woods a bit past a road crossing in a far from ideal campsite. Anyways, I found the note at the next road crossing early the next morning. Apparently I was told the wrong road crossing - oops.

    A half hour later I came across the Governor Clement shelter. There was an empty pile of beer cans and two pickup trucks there, each with someone sleeping soundly inside and looking as if he'd had quite an evening. One of the trucks was actually parked on the trail, blocking where it emerged from a patch of weeds into the shelter's clearing. It suddenly made my less than ideal campsite seem a whole lot better.

  10. #10

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Razzi
    I remember hearing the horror stories about the Governor Clement shelter last year and deciding to avoid it. There was rumored to be a 'secret shelter' somewhere in the area - find the right road crossing, look for a note under a rock, and follow the directions. I figured I'd shoot for the secret shelter instead. However, I couldn't find the note at the end of a long, hard day and was a bit bummed out. (My splitting headache wasn't helping matters any.) I ended up camping in the woods a bit past a road crossing in a far from ideal campsite. Anyways, I found the note at the next road crossing early the next morning. Apparently I was told the wrong road crossing - oops.

    A half hour later I came across the Governor Clement shelter. There was an empty pile of beer cans and two pickup trucks there, each with someone sleeping soundly inside and looking as if he'd had quite an evening. One of the trucks was actually parked on the trail, blocking where it emerged from a patch of weeds into the shelter's clearing. It suddenly made my less than ideal campsite seem a whole lot better.
    For those looking for the secret shelter, you might find directions if you page through the registers both north and south of the secret road. I discovered directions AFTER I had passed it in the register atop Killington. I missed it myself and wish it was a little less secret.

  12. #12
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,145
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    I liked your set up Neo-- but for the yellow garbage bag!

    I'm surprise at the high percentage of thru hikers whose camps were invisible from the Trail for more than 20 nights.

  13. #13
    First Sergeant SGT Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,861
    Images
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    I liked your set up Neo-- but for the yellow garbage bag!

    I'm surprise at the high percentage of thru hikers whose camps were invisible from the Trail for more than 20 nights.
    That is because you never see us.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

    My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

    BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

    NO SNIVELING

  14. #14
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,145
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Or perhaps because I see most all of you guys who think that you are hidden under your tarps, but are hanging bear bags up in the trees with bright, reflective line.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    Or perhaps because I see most all of you guys who think that you are hidden under your tarps, but are hanging bear bags up in the trees with bright, reflective line.
    Or perhaps because real stealth campers are smarter than given credit for as they set up over the hill and beyond line of sight.

  16. #16
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,145
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Come on Tin Man. Next thing you'll be telling me is that today's stealth campers use super quiet stoves which won't give them away no matter which way the wind is blowing.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    Come on Tin Man. Next thing you'll be telling me is that today's stealth campers use super quiet stoves which won't give them away no matter which way the wind is blowing.
    OK. Let me know the next time you are on the trail and I will camp downwind and an extra half mile away from the trail.

  18. #18
    Registered User neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-16-2004
    Location
    nashville,tn
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,177
    Images
    337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    I liked your set up Neo-- but for the yellow garbage bag!

    I'm surprise at the high percentage of thru hikers whose camps were invisible from the Trail for more than 20 nights.
    its not a yellow garbage bag lol neo

    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=3462

    its a copy of the german army sniper parka bag

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •