WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hornet Nest Alert - Toccoa River Bridge on BMT

I camped out at the Toccoa River campground this past weekend. There are two hornet (or possibly wasp) nests on the Toccoa River Bridge on the BMT.

When going north from Springer on the BMT, the first nest is on the upper left about 25 feet across the bridge on two cables holding up the bridge.

The second nest is on the other side of the bridge under the boardwalk. This nest is supposedly under the 4th board from the end.

When people get on the bridge and start jumping around, they stir up the hornets and get stung.

They looked like yellow jackets but people kept saying they only build nests underground.

Either way, be very careful crossing this bridge.

Journal Entries

I got stung by a hornet yesterday. Hurt! Quick application of a baking soda salve took the hurt away, mostly. Today it just itches. Weird thing is the nest was large, probably about 11" in diameter, maybe 15" tall, and it hung from a small limb about head height on a young tree that we walked by fairly often, but we had never even seen it. It wasn't until I trimmed some low branches off the tree that they got upset with me and ran me off. I was definitely running!

My understanding is that yellow jackets, which do nest in the ground, are a type of hornet. It's bad when they make their nest right on the trail. We've encountered that a couple of times, once on the side of a hill (we bushwhacked around it), the other at a bridged stream crossing in Georgia, not unlike what you described. Got stung 3 or 4 times that day.

Images

I got stung on two different occasions on my last hike in June. I also saw a sure enough hornets nest on the climb out of Bryson Gap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yellow jackets and hornets are both wasps. Yellow jackets nest in the ground. Hornets nests are shaped like footballs. Yellow jackets hate Bulldogs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Yellow jackets and hornets are both wasps. Yellow jackets nest in the ground. Hornets nests are shaped like footballs. Yellow jackets hate Bulldogs.
    And my wife hates yellow jackets, bugs or players.

Mr Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I got stung on two different occasions on my last hike in June. I also saw a sure enough hornets nest on the climb out of Bryson Gap.
    Looks like the nest of bald face hornets https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

All hornets are wasps, and some wasps are hornets. https://www.creaturecontrol.net/inse...hornets-wasps/

A wet year like this has been in some places, will have air nests of yellow jackets.
    Basically when they swarm, and the cannot find dry ground, the land anywhere.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

I think you are right Sgt. Rock and they were bald-faced hornets. They were extremely aggressive.

I typically leave anything alive on the trail alive. We are the visitors as hikers and that is their home.

But I hope for the sake of the visitors to the Toccoa River Bridge that someone close can drive up there and kill those hornets.

I can't tell you how many people were stung there last weekend, mostly children.

There are two types of hornets common in Georgia, the bald-faced hornet, and the european hornet. The bald-faced is black and white, and the european is brown orange and yellow.

Got stung by a wasp (???? All I saw was a teradactyl size thing flying off me) on the finger last week along a section of the AT in the Shenandoah National park. Felt like an open flame scorching me. Finger swelled to sausage size and hand puffed up. It laughed at the deet I had on. Still a bit of swelling a week later. Got some rx cream and instructions from Dr. and seems to be helping.

I camped out at the Toccoa river this past weekend with my daughter. She caught 3 trout her first time fishing. Great fun!

The wasp nests on both sides of the bridge have been removed. Thank you to the trail angel that took care of that.

Images

People fear bears it's these nasty insects they should worry about... I was stung on the ear by a red wasp here in Texas last summer and it literally brought me to my knees. I could not fathom stirring up a nest and taking multiple stings.

Just got back from a long Snowbird backcountry trip and will post it here soon, but I didn't see a pit viper or get stung by a yellow jacket---what we call ground hornets around here. Fierce little bastardos and now's the season for their pleasant butt pokes. Beware!

Was on the BMT a couple years ago (the new reroute on Bob Bald) and camping on the top meadow when 3 ATVs drove past which I cursed until I found out they were Graham County rescue personnel pulling out an allergic woman get bee stung below Naked Ground Gap (also on the BMT).'

Rescue squad getting the gurney ready.

Pulling the woman out. She knew she was allergic but let her epipen prescription lapse.

++ New Posts ++