WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

awesome trip report sir. Really enjoyed looking at the photos and reading your whitty captions. I will have to go back and check out some of your previous posts since I new to the forums.. ATB. -Nate
    Our Hiking, Camping, & Bushcraft Videos:
    http://youtube.com/teainthetreesbp
    A.T. Thru Hiker (The Appalachian Trail Song):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpY_jBFwnU8

No rolling couch potato life for you TipiWalter, another great trip report!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

It's really cool your out there working the trails. Thanks so much for all your trail work!!!

Tipi, I didn't even know that you went out in the summer. The snakes and bugs are among the many reasons that I prefer winter backpacking.

Journal Entries

Excellent post, makes me almost homesickness.

From another thread, when did you notice the new trail post missing? It didn't take long for it to disappear but i can't say I'm surprised as there's a lot of traffic up there that time of year. Ironically, I had the place to myself when I visited in late June.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    From another thread, when did you notice the new trail post missing? It didn't take long for it to disappear but i can't say I'm surprised as there's a lot of traffic up there that time of year. Ironically, I had the place to myself when I visited in late June.
    I went up there about 4 to 6 weeks later---Two nice signs were vandalized, one on 54A near the top and the trailpost as shown.

Doing a little research about the BMT and ran across this thread. Nice Hilleberg, Tipi.
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/s...trails/316008/

Wow! This is coolest trip report EVER! Minus all of those snakes 😥 The GA section of the BMT is the only time that I've ever seen a bear in the wild, and he was huge. On my way to Springer Mtn now to start a 40 mile section hike in the early am.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonecampn View Post
    Wow! This is coolest trip report EVER! Minus all of those snakes  The GA section of the BMT is the only time that I've ever seen a bear in the wild, and he was huge. On my way to Springer Mtn now to start a 40 mile section hike in the early am.
    Neat how you found this trip report in the old whiteblaze archives. Being excited to start a trip is something I'm familiar with---and I hope you post a trip report here of your hike when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

I'm about to enter the Bald River wilderness and carry 50 lbs of food and fuel inside a 90 lb pack stuffed with books and all else. I identify myself as an UL backpacker (Ultraloader).
    Nice. And here I am worrying about carrying 30lbs. Happy Trails!

2.jpg
    We were graced with this pleasant UNEXPECTED surprise all day on Thursday! It was gorgeous.

2.jpg
    We were graced with this pleasant UNEXPECTED surprise all day on Thursday! It was gorgeous.
    Great pic and I hope you post more here on Whiteblaze. Your pic brings back memories of similar trips I've done in similar conditions---

A couple on the BMT at 9F in a gap at 5,000 feet.

Some backpackers at 5,300 in a late October sleet storm.

Uncle Fungus backpacking the Citico wilderness in a butt cold sleet storm. Check out his nice Arcteryx rain jacket which saved my butt.

2.jpg
    GP, what are you and your friend wearing around your torsos?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    GP, what are you and your friend wearing around your torsos?
    Looks like anoraks or Packas??

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Looks like anoraks or Packas??
    i was thinking maybe also sleeping bags around the middle, I've seen and heard of that before, but just can't tell.

Come to think of it, actually what I saw once wasn't a sleeping bag, but a thin foam pad the fella used that was part of his hammock set up.

@rocketsocks - those are Snugpack ponchos, don't leave home with out them. They've saved my butt a few times, including when I was in the Amazon jungle, which was about as much rain as I experience on my first 5day / 6 night section of the BMT trail. July the 5th and I thought I was going to die on top of Big Frog from hypothermia! They trap heat, keep everything dry and can be used as a tarp/blanket.

@rocketsocks - those are Snugpack ponchos, don't leave home with out them. They've saved my butt a few times, including when I was in the Amazon jungle, which was about as much rain as I experience on my first 5day / 6 night section of the BMT trail. July the 5th and I thought I was going to die on top of Big Frog from hypothermia! They trap heat, keep everything dry and can be used as a tarp/blanket.
    aah thanks, I google that, never heard of them before.

Ops. that should have been 5 nights / 6 days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++