WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Medicine Bow One Hundred (Unofficial route in southeastern Wyoming)

The link will take you to an unofficial 100 mile route in southeastern Wyoming. Was initially printed in the Wyoming Tribune Eagle on May 10th, 2015. Link is to the author's blog.

http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/blog...w-one-hundred/
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Nice job. Some scenic mountains that get less traffic than their Colorado cousins...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Timely thread (for myself and wife...) we just spent a fantastic weekend in the Snowy Mtns of Medicine Bow NF.... a couple pics attached (not as good as those in the link....). We only did a small loop but are planning on returning in August for more. Only 3.5 hour drive from Denver; not sure why we waited so long to get up there!

Fantastic place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Only 3.5 hour drive from Denver; not sure why we waited so long to get up there!

Fantastic place.
    Bonus: The I25/287 corridor gets a lot less traffic than I70.

The wife and I went there over Labor Day Weekend two years ago. Other than Medicine Bow Peak (which we did not hike; only went by the trailhead), the area was pretty mellow in terms of crowds.

On a backpacking trip in late June one year. with minimal snow, we had Medicine Bow to ourselves.

Not sure if Shan wants us to tell people, though.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Because of the lack of good maps for the Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyoming I have decided to put together a map set for the MB100. They are similar to Halfmile's PCT maps and maps I've seen for the Ouachita trail. The attached link will take you to the maps (free download). These maps, dated 10/23/15 are rough drafts. I would like anyone that is interested to go out and take a look at them and give me feedback (preferably by PM). My intent is to make what changes I am aware of and to have a second version out by late November.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...id&ts=562e96a1

If link does not work go to www.awayfromthegrind.com, go to "Wyoming", select Medicine Bow One Hundred, then click on link that is after the article but before the photos.

Would like to thank Roger Ludwig for allowing me to use his website for this project.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Shan,

Thanks for posting the link. I've always used topos and USFS maps for this area. As you said, perhaps not the ideal combo at times.

I am not sure if it is intentional or not, but did you want people to request access to the maps first or were the maps meant to be viewed by all without asking for access? Currently getting a "you need permission" message. Again, not sure if that was intentional or not.

Again, thank you for this work.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

It isn't my webpage so I am not entirely sure. Am forwarding your post to the owner. When I access it all I have to do is log into my google account and I go to it. If you could PM me your e-mail address I can just send them directly to you. I figured that you and Colorado_rob would be the 2 most likely to take interest. Obviously all others are invited to look and give feedback as well.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    The link will take you to an unofficial 100 mile route in southeastern Wyoming. Was initially printed in the Wyoming Tribune Eagle on May 10th, 2015. Link is to the author's blog.

http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/blog...w-one-hundred/
    I'm sold! Next year's already got a few smaller adventures on tap (Hadrian's Wall, various Hayduke alternates I haven't already experienced, etc), but I'll be sure to squeeze this in before the hunters take to the trails. Thanks for the link Shan!

This is yet another killer fall trek. I'm about to PM my email address. Thank you. (Also requested permission..we'll see what happens)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Looks like another one to add to my list of prep hikes, since it is closer to me than some.

Have just revised the mapset (16 maps dated 4/17/2016) for the Medicine Bow 100. They can be downloaded/printed by going to the following link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...id&ts=562e96a1 or go to www.awayfromthegrind.com and click Wyoming, Medicine Bow 100, go to link after article but before the photos.

Mostly just cosmetic changes. All landmarks in the data tables are now annotated on the route.

I am not a professional map maker, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to pm me with suggestions. IMO these are the best maps to follow the route, although the National Forest Service map of the Medicine Bow National Forest will suffice (it is all that I used to create the route initially).

Also, I have a rough idea on how to make this route into a complete loop. I hope to work on that project late summer or early fall.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I'm looking forward to doing this later this summer and will probably have some questions for you then regarding making it a full loop. I still need to download the maps and get some planning done.

Very Cool. Denver to Arlington should be a less than 3 hour drive.

FYI, as of right now I do not know the status of the two wilderness areas (Platte River and Savage Run) that were burned last summer. I have a call into the forest service but have not heard back yet. My gut tells me that the areas will be closed for this upcoming hiking season but will pass official word when received. The area of the MB100 most likely affected is mm 45-80. As I fairly recently returned from a thru-hike of the AZT I have yet to get into the area. Maybe within the next week I will take a trip and check it out in person (unless FS calls and gives me all the data I need). As the burned area extends well north of Savage Run I'm not sure that I will be able to come up with a viable route so as to be able to hike it terminus to terminus.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

++ New Posts ++