WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Ultralight Gear Video Overview

Hey Guys, I took the time to make a video showcasing the gear list I developed while on the Appalachian and Colorado Trail.

T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

Great vid! Can you do an AT through hike with that gear? What will need to be replaced? I've heard trail shoes might wear out and you should plan for ~300 miles per pair...

Thanks for sharing the video. Fun to see what other hikers actually use. What volume pack do you have? And what is your total base weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your kit and good pointers. Nice kit Jedeye.

Couple of thoughts intended to be a constructive critique:

Consider maintaining a tone of speaking NOT with a "this is what you should do" UL perspective but rather from a "this is what I do which works for me which you too might consider working for you" perspective knowing that different people are at different places in their hiking humbly leaving room for others to make their own HYOH(Hike Your own Hike) choices and evolving themselves as hikers with their own individually appropriate ever evolving kits. Although it shows many UL LD hikers feel confident and prideful with their kits, which is GREAT, it's also nice, when sharing those kits, to witness a bit less self righteousness and greater awareness of these things. Sometimes, it's nice to ALSO hear a UL LD hiker communicate they have considered possible cons about their own gear choices, logistical considerations, and hiking philosophies rather than loading up on why their kits or hiking philosophies are only the best things since sliced bread. Too many ULers have a definitiveness about what's right or UL right failing to acknowledge that some(many?, much?) of what they are sharing MAY only be right for themselves. DON'T BE THAT PERSON.

It would be good to demonstrate you know, hopefully, that your gear in this vid was used for a AT and CT hike(thru?), is based on certain timeframes and that one's UL kit could and would likely change if choosing an UL kit and hiking philosophy during other seasonal hiking timeframes by mentioning your specific hiking timeframes and, even though it's said in the title of the vid, rementioning this is for the AT and CT at the onset of the vid. Likewise, since you didn't mention it, although perhaps I missed where you shared it, it would be appropriate to communicate how much of the AT or CT you hiked for which you employed this kit. For some might be considering changing out components of their kits at different stages in a lengthy LD hike.

Where did you get the mistaken idea that you couldn't have great food or a comfortable night's rest AND go UL AND see some stuff AND climb mountains AND cover some miles, etc ALL WITH THE SAME KIT? Going UL does not have to be something approached as sacrificing good things, comforts, etc, although I think I know what you intended some may not. Accuracy and clarity of communication counts when you're putting your name out there and publically releasing an instructional UL vid.

I doubt your MLD Supelight Bivy with silny bottom weighs 5.5 oz even in a med. That wt is closer to the CF bottom version in large. If you're going to do anything resembling an accurate UL vid at least make sure to confirm your advertised gear wts. I think that's what folks come to expect in UL vids. Maybe, I missed something?

It would be nice if you had ended this vid by sharing you're releasing other vids exploring other worthy to know aspects of UL hiking approaches like skills to master, logistical considerations, resupply, food, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thanks for sharing your kit and good pointers. Nice kit Jedeye.

Couple of thoughts intended to be a constructive critique:

Consider maintaining a tone of speaking NOT with a "this is what you should do" UL perspective but rather from a "this is what I do which works for me which you too might consider working for you" perspective knowing that different people are at different places in their hiking humbly leaving room for others to make their own HYOH(Hike Your own Hike) choices and evolving themselves as hikers with their own individually appropriate ever evolving kits. Although it shows many UL LD hikers feel confident and prideful with their kits, which is GREAT, it's also nice, when sharing those kits, to witness a bit less self righteousness and greater awareness of these things. Sometimes, it's nice to ALSO hear a UL LD hiker communicate they have considered possible cons about their own gear choices, logistical considerations, and hiking philosophies rather than loading up on why their kits or hiking philosophies are only the best things since sliced bread. Too many ULers have a definitiveness about what's right or UL right failing to acknowledge that some(many?, much?) of what they are sharing MAY only be right for themselves. DON'T BE THAT PERSON.
    For the love of god, THIS! As someone who could care less about weight, nothing gets under my skin more than gear "talk" (re: lectures) about how I "need" to go UL. I don't. I feel little to no difference between a 30 lb pack and a 20 lb pack. At the end of the day, it is only weight. Not a monster.

More importantly, it is my pack and my weight to bear. I never understood why my pack weight bothers others. They sometimes feel so invested in it that it almost feels like they are the ones who have to carry it.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

wanna be hiker trash

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Kenai; 09-13-2015 at 17:53.

Whatever with the "you don't need this, you don't need that".. I need my spoon lol!

You've developed a pretty minimalist/ultralight kit, hike on man. I'm tryin to make the switch to an ul floorless ground shelter

What is the model of headlamp?

Anyone have any insight on how often each piece of gear in the vid would need to be replaced on a fast paced AT thru-hike? New to UL and trying to figure out the life expectancy of the kit for long distance hikes

Interesting video indeed. It made me feel very comfortable in my bag, in my tent, on my mat, with my pillow.

Ultra-lighters are a unique breed indeed!

++ New Posts ++