WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike suggestions (60-80km).

Hello,

I have done about 100k of the northern LT around camel's hump/mansfield, and north of there, and am looking for an easier section to do with my girlfriend (she is very slow if it's too hard... and we wouldn't cover much ground).

I personally like vistas and a bit of hard stuff mixed in, but don't mind some long forest stretches.

Any suggestions? I am looking at the south end... was thinking about starting just before stratton mountain and heading north a ways, or maybe starting in the town of manchester and heading north. We are going around September 14, so there shouldn't be an issue with AT traffic, and it should generally be quiet I think

Thanks!

Jim

Images

Manchester Center north to Rt 4 is a nice section, challenging but not that hard for the LT. Being able to end at the Inn at Long Trail could be a nice thing, stay for the night, get a nice meal and maybe some live music. Some excellent views along this stretch, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

^^ what he said. Bromley, Griffith Lake, Baker Peak, Big Branch, Little Rock Pond, White Rocks, Bully Brook, Bear Mtn., Clarendon Gorge, the walk along the brooks near the Cold River, and the Killington ridge near the end ... what a great hike.

I agree with all of the above. Start at Manchester and end at the Inn at the Long Trail. While that stretch has its challenges, it's definitely not as tough as the northern section of the LT. There's quite a bit of variety though that section as well. Best of all, it ends near the Inn. I'd also suggest that, unless you are going for your end-to-end and are a purist, take the Sherburne Pass Trail when you hit Jungle Junction. It takes you right to the Inn, it's the original trail, and I prefer it to the new trail, but your mileage may vary.
    If you don't stop at the Inn at the end of your hike, you are missing something special. The Food is excellent, and they pour the best pint of Guinness you'll ever taste.

Images

+1 on taking the Sherburne Pass Trail to the Inn. Lovely stretch of trail, and stop at Pico Camp for a break.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

agree with all the above, Manchester Ctr VT 11/30 to US-4/Killington-Rutland. Great section! DO IT!!

Journal Entries

Whats with the km? We dont use that. They tried to force it on us 40 yrs ago and it never took, thankfully.

We are still trying to get used to grams and Liters. The only reason liter works is its about same as qt.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-30-2015 at 21:45.

I mean, as an engineer, we would kill for metric units to take hold here. English units just slow everything down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    I mean, as an engineer, we would kill for metric units to take hold here. English units just slow everything down.
    Yes, please.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'd love to do Manchester up to Rt 4 this Fall, heading up there after I visit my sis in NYC in mid-October. If I were to start hike this Oct 18 - what could I expect? Tons of mud and misery? Fall colors? Good idea/bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    I'd love to do Manchester up to Rt 4 this Fall, heading up there after I visit my sis in NYC in mid-October. If I were to start hike this Oct 18 - what could I expect? Tons of mud and misery? Fall colors? Good idea/bad idea?
    we are doing this ourte mid september, so I'll let you know how things are looking!
    You might be a bit past peak foliage, but I would imagine there would be some

I would expect temperatures below freezing some nights

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    You will probably be past peak in Manchester, I did a section through there last October and it was right at peak around the 5th. At that time I had a day or two of rain and temps from upper 60s to low 30s at night, probably a bit lower for you being two weeks later. One little plus is you will be just past the caretaker season at several fee sites and can thus camp for free. I highly suggest spending the night at Little Rock Pond if you can, and you could make the first night out of Manchester be the Bromley ski patrol hut. You have to pack water up there but it's a great sunrise/set view. As far as mud goes, it was not bad at all when I came through on my AT thru in early August and I don't think there's been above average rainfall since then but you never know when it's going to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Whats with the km? We dont use that. They tried to force it on us 40 yrs ago and it never took, thankfully.

We are still trying to get used to grams and Liters. The only reason liter works is its about same as qt.
    Yeah, let's keep a closed mind to what the rest of the world does.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    You will probably be past peak in Manchester, I did a section through there last October and it was right at peak around the 5th. At that time I had a day or two of rain and temps from upper 60s to low 30s at night, probably a bit lower for you being two weeks later. One little plus is you will be just past the caretaker season at several fee sites and can thus camp for free. I highly suggest spending the night at Little Rock Pond if you can, and you could make the first night out of Manchester be the Bromley ski patrol hut. You have to pack water up there but it's a great sunrise/set view. As far as mud goes, it was not bad at all when I came through on my AT thru in early August and I don't think there's been above average rainfall since then but you never know when it's going to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Hoping there will still be some leaves on the trees but can't really predict that. I'll be sure to bring my warm thermals and 15 deg bag. Very pumped to stay at Little Rock Pond and end up drinking pints at Inn at Long Trail.

Hikingjim - Have a great hike, I'm looking forward to the trip report.

As an off the wall suggestion especially if you like your long trails measured in km check out http://www.hike-mst.org/ - which is both a bit longer than Vt's Long Trail, and considerably closer to London, Ont. Far, far less crowded as well, of course less trampled means more encroaching brush. (Effectively) No lean-tos. Northern foliage peak is about Columbus Day aka Thanksgiving for you. Middle sections probably will peak closer to Oct 20 in the vicinity of the party city of State College.

It was a nice hike (from route 11/30 near manchester to inn at long trail).
    About 50 miles, nice varied terrain, and great weather. Some unexpected cool sections near clarendon (green wall/white cliffs, clarendon gorge).

Wulf - There was zero mud, and it would take a whole lot of rain to make it an issue at all

If you're going north, when you get to the 103 in clarendon, the whistle stop is a nice restaurant (go left, north-west on route 103) for a half mile. They were open morning until around 3 weekdays, and longer on weekends, but you could call them before the trip to get an idea on expected hours
    There is also lori's deli & convenience store on the same road less than a half mile past the whistle stop. We resupplied a couple days worth of food there to make things lighter at the outset. good mix of standard trail foods and great fresh deli sandwiches. I packed in a few beers with ice and cheese too!

Little rock pond was nice if that works with your schedule. If not, make it a break stop at the beautiful pond
    Governor clement is now quite a nice shelter with the renos. No real terrible shelters noted (we stopped at pretty well all for breaks)
    We just camped on the trail a couple nights near some of the nice streams... there are awesome sites about a mile south of upper cold river road if you're in between shelters that day

If you start at route 11/30, there is no water until peru shelter (10 miles), unless you rely on the trail angels that had water at mad tom notch. The ski patrol building at bromley is nice, but only a couple miles from that trailhead.. so an option if you start later in the day

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    As an off the wall suggestion especially if you like your long trails measured in km check out http://www.hike-mst.org/ - which is both a bit longer than Vt's Long Trail, and considerably closer to London, Ont. Far, far less crowded as well, of course less trampled means more encroaching brush. (Effectively) No lean-tos. Northern foliage peak is about Columbus Day aka Thanksgiving for you. Middle sections probably will peak closer to Oct 20 in the vicinity of the party city of State College.
    Cool, I'll look into that trail. Honestly, I have 15000 km worth of trails to do, and only so much time!

Images

Nice trip report, Hikingjim, thanks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks Hikingjim, that is all very helpful and great to hear. Excited for the trip now!

++ New Posts ++