WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb M.U.L.E. on Kickstarter?

I normally hike with a Granite Gear Leopard AC 58, but I saw this on Kickstarter the other day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-with-anything

and it got me to thinking - would such a contraption work on a trail like the AT? I like the idea of reducing the perceived weight in my pack but I wonder how well it would fair on log crossings, going around downed trees, etc.

Thoughts?

Journal Entries

Maybe a croo member hauling supplies up to a hut, a hunter hauling out a kill... But day to day hiking? I don't think so. It's so rocky and full of roots... If I saw one at an expo or something I'd have to try it out... But I don't think it's my cup of tea. It just doesn't seem practical for a full day of hiking IMO. Like the concept though a lot.
    Last edited by ChrisJackson; 07-29-2015 at 20:52.

Images

I actually had a hiker that attempted the PCT email me asking about using something like this on the PCT to carry water. I told him it was a bad idea. For the AT I believe it is even worse. I would love to see this hauled up some of the steep pitches that are found even on the southern AT. But as always, wheel your own wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto:1992564
    I actually had a hiker that attempted the PCT email me asking about using something like this on the PCT to carry water. I told him it was a bad idea. For the AT I believe it is even worse. I would love to see this hauled up some of the steep pitches that are found even on the southern AT. But as always, wheel your own wheel.
    That would be illegal on much of the PCT due to how many wildernesses it passes through where any wheeled contraption is illegal.

On the AT it would be impractical in many places since you'd have to drag it almost straight up on many climbs.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

For those of a certain age and geek background, the word M.U.L.E conjures up a certain...experience.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    For those of a certain age and geek background, the word M.U.L.E conjures up a certain...experience.

Younger dorks were likely reminded of the flying "mule" from Firefly/Serenity

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags:1992673

. I loved that game on my 8-bit Atari Computer.

When I was on the trail this spring there was one hiker that had this type of pack. He moved slow but seem to catch up to us each day.

Quote Originally Posted by swdrumm View Post
    I normally hike with a Granite Gear Leopard AC 58, but I saw this on Kickstarter the other day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-with-anything

and it got me to thinking - would such a contraption work on a trail like the AT? I like the idea of reducing the perceived weight in my pack but I wonder how well it would fair on log crossings, going around downed trees, etc.

Thoughts?
    I saw a hiker on the Wonderland Trail with this type of device. He got a ticket from the NPS because no wheels are allowed. He then replaced the wheel with a skid. It looked like more trouble than it was worth to me.
    Shutterbug

GAME 06

I would like to watch (I'll pass on doing it myself) someone with about 40+ lbs on that thing try and cross a waist deep fast moving stream. Good chance of drowning I think.

Maybe you could go up the steep climbs in the Whites with the thing if your arms are strong enough, but how do you go down some of them? Think of the angle it would have on a really steep straight downward scramble. It would be trying to push you over face first all the time. Good chance of a wicked fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I saw a hiker on the Wonderland Trail with this type of device. He got a ticket from the NPS because no wheels are allowed. He then replaced the wheel with a skid. It looked like more trouble than it was worth to me.
    That'll show em...

There's a handbrake that hooks to your belt...kinda like what's on a bicycle. There's also another break that locks the wheel in place when you "dismount". All in all though, I think the river crossing comment gives me the most pause...I cross a fair number of glacial streams going around Mt. Hood on the Timberline Trail (mostly sans bridges) and this contraption would never have made it.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by swdrumm View Post
    There's a handbrake that hooks to your belt...kinda like what's on a bicycle. There's also another break that locks the wheel in place when you "dismount". All in all though, I think the river crossing comment gives me the most pause...I cross a fair number of glacial streams going around Mt. Hood on the Timberline Trail (mostly sans bridges) and this contraption would never have made it.
    Yeah bad water would be scary.

In places like the Whites there are slopes that are steep enough that someone going up can put their hands right on the rock (basically scrambling). To go down one? The wheel brake would make no difference. That back wheel would be 2-3 feet higher than your head. The mass would be pushing you in the back at the top of the shoulders and when one let off the break for the wheel to drop down a ledge all that push would try and tip you over forward. It is certain that someone would take a header and on some of those slopes that could be fatal.

Journal Entries

Seems it would be illegal in wilderness areas
    AT passes thru 26 of them

Yeah, wheeled pack is no different than a bike. But on certain trails with long road walks it might be workable..be interesting to see it compared to a cart for road walks.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

++ New Posts ++