WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need A Tent Or Shelter For A Thru Hike

I'm in the market for a tent or shelter for a thru walk. It needs to be efficient and allow me to sleep in bad weather relatively comfortably. I definitely do not think I would be comfortable in a hammock. Weight is important and definitely something quality. Not really looking to spend $600

Quote Originally Posted by Googan View Post
    ...tent or shelter for a thru walk... Weight is important
    The first response to your inquiry is obviously intended to be humorous as I don't think anyone these days would take such a heavy tent.

There are probably 15-20 tents that would be reasonable choices, and every one has at least one fan who will tell you that is his first choice. So you have to be more specific in defining your requirements/preferences. Take the factors such as weight, durability, roominess, range of water resistance, size (both pack and footprint), cost, flexibility (e.g. ability to use a seperate bug net portion for dry but buggy nights) and so on and attach weights to reflect how important the various characteristics are to YOU.

I'd like to have some room in it because i toss and turn. It definitely needs to keep me dry under bad conditions. Weight is very important to me. Price range $200-$400 new or less for an excellent condition piece of used gear.

Images

LightHeart Gear SoLong 6

I have a nice 1P tent for sale in the for sale section for a great price

YMG Cirriform net tent and tarp which can be configured three ways. Just tarp, just bug net and both together

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Googan View Post
    I'd like to have some room in it because i toss and turn. It definitely needs to keep me dry under bad conditions. Weight is very important to me. Price range $200-$400 new or less for an excellent condition piece of used gear.
    The Ultralight forum has this list of cottage companies, some of which make shelters that fit this description:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1340660

Lightheart has already been mentioned. Tarptent and Six Moon Designs are a couple more that are mentioned a lot. I have used tents from both of these companies. Cuban Fiber tents will be the lightest but most expensive.

I always love the phrase " I want something quality but not looking to spend a whole lot of money" never always gets old.

You get what you pay for folks!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    LightHeart Gear SoLong 6
    THIS one, above, is what I have now. I'm 6'2" and there is PLENTY of room. I love the awning and double doors. I bought the 8 (?) ounce poles, since I'm not going to use trekking poles. Pack goes inside beside me, boots outside in the awning. My complaint here in Florida is the condensation with the intensely high humidity.

THIS one, below, is what I used on my first attempt. Pretty roomy, fairly inexpensive and if you seam-seal with the 50/50 silicone/mineral spirits, no problems. My pack went into the front vestibule with my boots with no problem. Not as light as some, but still good in my opinion. You can spot them on steep and cheap dot com for less, sometimes.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...=alps+zephyr+1
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

Mountainsmith Morrison2 or Celestial2 (same tent). About $180 list (shop around, REI, Sierra Trading Post), less than 5lbs, 35sq ft. Very sturdy and easy to set up. 2 doors if needed.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The Ultralight forum has this list of cottage companies, some of which make shelters that fit this description:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1340660

Lightheart has already been mentioned. Tarptent and Six Moon Designs are a couple more that are mentioned a lot. I have used tents from both of these companies. Cuban Fiber tents will be the lightest but most expensive.
    Yup. I happen to fall in the TarpTent camp. I have a Notch, which does admirably, and I have some of the same issues, being a 6'1" restless sleeper. I see a fair number of SMD and Lightheart tents Out There, and their users seem to love them, too.

ZPacks are the next tier up. They're lighter with comparable performance. A lot of people see them as being "entry level" Cuben Fiber tents. They're out of my price range.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

LL bean has their microlight fs 2 person tent on sale for $229. free shipping and lifetime guarantee.

Great tent for the price, freestanding, side entrance, comparable to the big agnes copper spur ul2 for almost 1/2 the price.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80579...ductId=1337511

I have a BA CS UL-1 but if I were to buy another tent today it would be a LHG SL-6.
    Lately ultralight hammocking has peaked my interest.

Six moons designs Skyscape Scout. $125, 30oz -- http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html

Sets up with your trekking poles, and you can pull the sides back on hot nights for ventilation.

I have a MLD Cuben Fiber "Patrol" tarp that I'm willing to sell. Look it up at their website and the price. PM me if you want to talk price if interested.

Tarptent double rainbow.

Room for you and your gear and to spare. Lightweight and within your price range. Fast setup and can be freestanding if you use your trekking poles for that purpose.

I've been very pleased with ours.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Any Tarptent (Henry Shires) product. I like the Rainbow and the Squall.

www.tarptent.com

+1 on Tarptent's Double Rainbow. Great tent.

Alps Mountaineering Zephy 1 Person with the footprint. Remove the tent body, grab 6 aluminum stakes. It's 3lbs total.

My hammock setup is 2.8lbs with bugnet and silnylon tarp.

Prefer to sleep on the ground.

- K

Section Hiker

If you can swing it I highly recommend any cuben tent from Zpacks or MLD. I recently got a Zpacks Duplex and love it.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++