WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sequoia, Kings Canyon or Yosemite 4 days late Oct

I was planning a Sept trip to Yosemite, starting at Glacier, Panorama Trail to JMT to HS campsites. However, I can't get free until October 18.

Looking for suggestions for 4 day trip in lower elevations w/ possible bailout plan if an early storm rolls in.
    We will be prepared down to 20* at night. However, I'm don't want to hike and camp in snow or extremely cold weather on this trip.
    Thanks for your help.

Probably should start at Yosemite village then and go up to Tuollume
    and then maybe a day trip out of there for your 4 days.
    There is another trail that I took once down to Yosemite village.
    I think it was called Half Dome Trail or something.
    Wasn't very long but might extend our trip enough to fill up 4 days.
    Once you get up to Tuollume, you'll be at elevation and could get snow/cold that time of year.

There might be some stuff in Kings from the west side.
    Never went in that way.
    But anything on the JMT except Tuoluume to the village is going to be high elevation.

good luck with the weather.
    Might be GREAT!
    (might not)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

If I had 4 days, I would go from Muir Trail Ranch southbound past Muir Pass and Kings Canyon out towards Bishop. You get to see evolution lakes and some beautiful sights.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Scout620 View Post
    I was planning a Sept trip to Yosemite, starting at Glacier, Panorama Trail to JMT to HS campsites. However, I can't get free until October 18.

Looking for suggestions for 4 day trip in lower elevations w/ possible bailout plan if an early storm rolls in.
    We will be prepared down to 20* at night. However, I'm don't want to hike and camp in snow or extremely cold weather on this trip.
    Thanks for your help.
    I got your PM, looks like your inbox is full. Here is the reply I tried to send to your PM:

I don't have any personal experience in the Sierra Nevada in October so I cannot really be of much help with specifics. However, I do know that accumulating snow is a real possibility anytime after mid-September. I've read about plenty of people who explore the Sierra in late September and into October but the weather is really going to be a wildcard. This is one of my favorite JMT videos documenting a northbound JMT thru hike starting in early October. It might provide a good idea of what to expect (he got snow in Yosemite toward the end).

Images

Yeah, late September into October pretty darn good in general, best time of year there IMHO. But October is the big change month, might still be great in mid-late October, might be dumping snow like crazy. So I'd have two plans depending on the forecast, for plan A, I like turk's suggestion, but if weather looks iffy, go with maybe Red's to Yosemite? Something like that. I personally would avoid the Happy Isle t/h area, way crowded, not really that special of an area.

Images

If you watch the weather you could easily do Yosemite Valley to TM on the JMT, then loop back via Rafferty Creek trail then along the Merced. It would put you high, above 8000 for a relatively short period of time. This also gives you some other options such as crossing Vogalsang Pass and looping down to Merced Lake. Many, many possibilities and you would have the ability to modify the plan until the departure.

I love the Sierra at this time, low crowds, great temperatures but there is the potential for early season storms. I would reco this over a Kings Canyon trip just due to easy of entry. Earlier in the year I would lean toward KingsCanyon hands down.

Images

Another option is to loop out of Hetch Hetch. there are three loops ranging up to about 40 miles. the longest goes up to Tilden Lake which is the most remote point from a road that I know of in Yosemite. this is one of my favorite snowshoe areas just due to easy of entry even in the winter. Here are a couple photos of Tilden Lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weather reports for a 4-5 day trip should be accurate and a bailout due to weather shouldn't be a problem. (Famous last words!)

I'd plan a trip to Yosemite that includes North Dome. Most spectacular view of Half Dome from there. North Dome elevation is 7500 feet and night time temps might be in low 40's (or 30's... or 20's... depending). I really doubt they would be in the teens. Doubt there will be snow, but cold rain is a possibility, but not probable.

North Dome has jaw dropping scenery but isn't in the High Sierras. It is also a super easy drive to Porcupine Flat Campground/trailhead and you won't spend/waste half a day driving. SEKI is a much longer drive.

Looking at map, from North Dome-ish, you can either take trails west to Yosemite falls/creek towards White Wolf and stay in the 7000-8000' Eelevation zone. Or you can go East and North towards Olmstead Pt and Sunrise Lakes and go more into the 9,000-10,000' elevation depending on temp or other factors. Either way, it is easy to plot a trip that will take you back to Tioga Road and you can hitch back to your car.

Have not been to Hetch Hetchy but the elevation is only 4,000ish'. Have heard it is awesome.

You can find my North Dome photos by googling Flickr GoingSkiing1 (having horrible time with my sister's laptop).

Thanks Coffee, I took care of my mail box. Great video!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Probably should start at Yosemite village then and go up to Tuollume
    and then maybe a day trip out of there for your 4 days.
    There is another trail that I took once down to Yosemite village.
    I think it was called Half Dome Trail or something.
    Wasn't very long but might extend our trip enough to fill up 4 days.
    Once you get up to Tuollume, you'll be at elevation and could get snow/cold that time of year.

There might be some stuff in Kings from the west side.
    Never went in that way.
    But anything on the JMT except Tuoluume to the village is going to be high elevation.

good luck with the weather.
    Might be GREAT!
    (might not)
    Thanks for the suggestions FH!

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    If I had 4 days, I would go from Muir Trail Ranch southbound past Muir Pass and Kings Canyon out towards Bishop. You get to see evolution lakes and some beautiful sights.
    Thanks Turk! I'll look at your suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, late September into October pretty darn good in general, best time of year there IMHO. But October is the big change month, might still be great in mid-late October, might be dumping snow like crazy. So I'd have two plans depending on the forecast, for plan A, I like turk's suggestion, but if weather looks iffy, go with maybe Red's to Yosemite? Something like that. I personally would avoid the Happy Isle t/h area, way crowded, not really that special of an area.
    Thanks CR, I'm originally from Denver. Lived in Evergreen last 10 yrs before moving to FL. I was on the CT near Breckenridge last October between (9k & 10k ft elevation). Temps were 60s in day, low 30s at night. The fall colors and aspen were stunning! I hope we have the same conditions. However, I know how quickly it can change at those elevations in Oct/Nov

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Weather reports for a 4-5 day trip should be accurate and a bailout due to weather shouldn't be a problem. (Famous last words!)

I'd plan a trip to Yosemite that includes North Dome. Most spectacular view of Half Dome from there. North Dome elevation is 7500 feet and night time temps might be in low 40's (or 30's... or 20's... depending). I really doubt they would be in the teens. Doubt there will be snow, but cold rain is a possibility, but not probable.

North Dome has jaw dropping scenery but isn't in the High Sierras. It is also a super easy drive to Porcupine Flat Campground/trailhead and you won't spend/waste half a day driving. SEKI is a much longer drive.

Looking at map, from North Dome-ish, you can either take trails west to Yosemite falls/creek towards White Wolf and stay in the 7000-8000' Eelevation zone. Or you can go East and North towards Olmstead Pt and Sunrise Lakes and go more into the 9,000-10,000' elevation depending on temp or other factors. Either way, it is easy to plot a trip that will take you back to Tioga Road and you can hitch back to your car.

Have not been to Hetch Hetchy but the elevation is only 4,000ish'. Have heard it is awesome.

You can find my North Dome photos by googling Flickr GoingSkiing1 (having horrible time with my sister's laptop).
    DLP, I can tell you love Yosemite. Thanks so much for your suggestions and sharing the pics on Flickr GS1. I'll look at North Dome.
    Would we still park in LYV and spend the first night when we arrive at backpackers campground?

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    If you watch the weather you could easily do Yosemite Valley to TM on the JMT, then loop back via Rafferty Creek trail then along the Merced. It would put you high, above 8000 for a relatively short period of time. This also gives you some other options such as crossing Vogalsang Pass and looping down to Merced Lake. Many, many possibilities and you would have the ability to modify the plan until the departure.

I love the Sierra at this time, low crowds, great temperatures but there is the potential for early season storms. I would reco this over a Kings Canyon trip just due to easy of entry. Earlier in the year I would lean toward KingsCanyon hands down.
    Thanks Malto, Interesting that you prefer about KC over Yosemite. Based on suggestions, I think we have enough options to stay in Yosemite..

Would we still park in LYV and spend the first night when we arrive at backpackers campground?
    This is me, but I might only go to the Valley if you have never been to Yosemite before. I find the valley to be very overwhelming and a zoo... although less so in October. The waterfalls will probably not be running and I can't think of a good reason to go to the valley. I'd rather be up high and look down into the valley. If you have never been to the Valley, I suppose you must go. If you have been there before... it is pretty much the same as the last time you were there.

Plus, I'm sort of lazy and you can get to North Dome by climbing up like 3,000' from the valley floor. OR you can start at Tioga Road and take an easy 4.5 mile nearly level walk to North Dome.

I've never stayed at the backpackers' campground in the Valley. Only Tuolumne Meadows. Porcupine Flat Campground is nice for first night car camping. I was there Father's Day/June 2014 and it was empty. I think that there were 3 campsites occupied. It was super quiet when we were there. Might be $20 but worth it to avoid the Valley.

Don't remember how fast/far hiker you are. I usually drag 1st time backpackers or my son/husband who sort of hate backpacking out to North Dome. (10am get up and eat breakfast. Pack up and start hiking at 12:30pm. Hike an average of 1 mph. Stop for 1 hour lunch and 4 breaks. Arrive at campsite at 5pm. Spend 1 hour putting up Target dome tent and unstuffing sleeping bags. Make dinner. Eat at 6:30pm. Go to bed when it gets dark. Repeat on walk back to car. )

If you are faster than my family, it will be a great place for lunch. If you are okay with a 3.5ish mile first day... it is an awesome place to sleep.

First trip with my son: https://www.flickr.com/photos/509517...57627315606441
    There was a couple of fires and the smoke made for the most incredible sunsets. My photos are underwhelming compared to being there.

Second trip with extended family:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/509517...57645222900135
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/509517...57645222900135

I've also found Rangers to be really helpful for trip planning when you pick up permit and will give feedback if trails are no longer maintained, etc.

Images

Thanks Malto, Interesting that you prefer about KC over Yosemite. Based on suggestions, I think we have enough options to stay in Yosemite..
    in terms of shear wow factor Kings Canyon has it easily over KC. But unless you are doing monster days, these are generally multiday trips. One exception to this is hiking out of the onion Valley Trail that is near Independence on the east side of the range. if the road to the trail head is open then you start at 9000'. If the road is closed then you add several thousand feet and miles to a road walk. I did a snowshoe trip out of there a few years back. It was a loop going over Junction and Kearsarge Passes. here is the trip report. (in the thread you will also see the birth of Malto.)

Snowshoeing the High Sierra

Kings Canyon is easier for getting permits, parking, etc, etc, etc. But Yosemite in October shouldn't be an issue.

My sister is finishing up 14 days in KC. Did Rae Lakes Loop and some other lakes. Roads End in Kings Canyon would probably be a 5+ hour drive from the Bay Area, depending on traffic. Altitude is higher.

But it is stunning.

30 mile Yosemite loop hitting Yosemite highlights with a butt kicking 7,400' elevation gain/loss.
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1379792

If you can't get permit out of Yosemite Valley... lots of options off of Tioga Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    30 mile Yosemite loop hitting Yosemite highlights with a butt kicking 7,400' elevation gain/loss.
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1379792

If you can't get permit out of Yosemite Valley... lots of options off of Tioga Rd.

DLP Big help. I will look at it all. Very helpful!! dlp, 30 to 40 miles will be perfect. I've been hiking all year at higher elevations; Colo, AT in so GA and So America last spring, Peru and So Patagonia. I don't believe my son has been on a multi day hike as an adult. Neither of us has been to Yosemite. With the epic views, I thought it would be would be a special time for both of us. Thanks again!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    in terms of shear wow factor Kings Canyon has it easily over KC. But unless you are doing monster days, these are generally multiday trips. One exception to this is hiking out of the onion Valley Trail that is near Independence on the east side of the range. if the road to the trail head is open then you start at 9000'. If the road is closed then you add several thousand feet and miles to a road walk. I did a snowshoe trip out of there a few years back. It was a loop going over Junction and Kearsarge Passes. here is the trip report. (in the thread you will also see the birth of Malto.)

Snowshoeing the High Sierra

Thanks Malto! Great pics. My snowshoeing days are long over.......I hope!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++