WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Inspector Gadget

Default Velveeta Shells & Cheese

http://www.amazon.com/Kraft-Velveeta.../dp/B004TGRIU6

At home, I am a frequent user of the Velveeta Shells and Cheese microwavable cup. Per the instructions, you pour water in the cup up to the fill line and microwave for 3.5 minutes. I'd like to be able to use some of these on the trail. So, I was wondering if it is possible to cook by adding boiling water from my Jetboil. Has anyone tried this? I'm sure it would work, I just have no idea how much boiling water I should add and how long it needs to sit for. I emailed Kraft and got the following response: "Unfortunately because microwave directions are the only recommended method, I cannot advise on how to subsitute the microwave with boiling water. "

I've made regular mac & cheese many times using just boiling water. I boil water, add the noodles & cheese packet, bring to a boil again and then let it sit for 10 minutes in a pot cozy. One of my go to trail dinners when I'm resupplying from small stores. My guess is that the velveeta shells would be similar.

Not that exact brand, but I have used those microwaveable cups on trips. I repackage into a freezer bag before the trip. To cook, I boil the appropriate amount of water, pour into the freezer bag, seal, and slip into a cozy for 5 minutes or so. Works like a charm!

Journal Entries

Suggest you try it out at home. Boil some water, pour into the container, stir, cover/insulate, wait-wait-wait, taste, and enjoy. I wouldn't hesitate to cook this way on the trail, but I would expect the food to be less than piping hot when it's done cooking. I would not expect success in cold or windy weather.

And welcome to WhiteBlaze, Connor!

Images

Why not get a few cups and experiment?

But yes it'll certainly work. And you'd get the best results adding the boiling water and then putting the pasta cup into a cozy.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by connor401 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Kraft-Velveeta.../dp/B004TGRIU6

At home, I am a frequent user of the Velveeta Shells and Cheese microwavable cup. Per the instructions, you pour water in the cup up to the fill line and microwave for 3.5 minutes. I'd like to be able to use some of these on the trail. So, I was wondering if it is possible to cook by adding boiling water from my Jetboil. Has anyone tried this? I'm sure it would work, I just have no idea how much boiling water I should add and how long it needs to sit for. I emailed Kraft and got the following response: "Unfortunately because microwave directions are the only recommended method, I cannot advise on how to subsitute the microwave with boiling water. "
    I bring these on most trips. I pour two cups of shells (and powder mixed in the shells) in a ziplock bag at home. On the trail I pour the bag into my pot, add water so it is 1/4" above the noodles, cook 5-10 min (stir repeatedly or you will burn your pot), add cheese and bacon, eat. ill probably be eating these this weekend.

I've used Marie Callender's Easy Sides (add water to fill line on the package and microwave) on the trail, and they work great. Just add boiling water and stir occasionally until the pasta rehydrates. I did try them at home with boiling water first to make sure they would be edible and to see if I liked the flavor, texture, etc. Also, I took one sacrificial package and added water to the fill line and then poured the water only out into a measuring cup to know exactly how much to boil at camp (my coffee/tea mug is a plastic measuring cup). It wasn't very cold outside when I used them, and I would probably wrap the package in a fleece in cold weather while the pasta rehydrates. BTW, I like to add freeze dried corn and/or peas and maybe chicken before "cooking" for extra flavor and some protein. If I do that, I add a little more boiling water to make sure everything rehydrates.

Section Hiker

They didn't "cook" well for me just freezer bagging (still crunchy/chewy), but the Kraft mac and cheese does. What I do now is cook and then dehydrate plain macaroni or mini penne. Then they freezer bag really well. Velveeta now sells a box containing just 3 big cheese packets--look where they have the non-refrigerated Parmesan and CHeez-Wiz. You can use those Velveeta pouches, but one is too big for just me--suppose you could duct tape it shut to reuse, not like it's gonna go bad in a few days. To keep it easy for a trip this week, I bought the microwavable cups and took the small cheese packets out of those to use.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Yes, we used these on longer hikes. We take them out of the cups and put two or three in a ziploc bag, then add boiling water. The regular ez-mac works well too. Adding dried tomatoes makes them better, as does real bacon bits.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Inspector Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Not that exact brand, but I have used those microwaveable cups on trips. I repackage into a freezer bag before the trip. To cook, I boil the appropriate amount of water, pour into the freezer bag, seal, and slip into a cozy for 5 minutes or so. Works like a charm!
    The 5 minute cooking time seems to be spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
    .... Also, I took one sacrificial package and added water to the fill line and then poured the water only out into a measuring cup to know exactly how much to boil at camp...
    I did the opposite and added 1/8 cup increments until I got to the fill Line.

After 2 attempts, here's what I've come up with:

1. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water into the microwavable cup.
    2. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. (Covers, cozies, and plastic bags seem to be unnecessary)
    3. Strain all the water out of the cup.
    4. Add cheese packet and stir.

Doesn't taste any different than in the microwave. Though I'd probably just use this as a lunch due to the smaller portion size.

Thanks for the input,

Connor (Inspector Gadget)

Thanks for following up with your results!

As an FYI, I tend to repackage to ziploc for crush-proof storage on the trail. Those little cups don't seem that durable to me, and also have a lot of air space at the top. YMMV.

Don't forget your protein.
    Adding some gravel or chicken, sun dried tomatoes, onions, chili powder, etc. will change things up a bit.

Besides maybe a preference in taste, I don't understand the reasoning for buying the microwaveable mac & cheese and then repacking it in a zip lock bag for a backpacking trip. I don't think it is any easier to make than non-microwavable mac & cheese, same calories per ounce, yet more expensive per ounce, more waste product, lesser quality, less variety, and doesn't seem as filling as regular mac & cheese.

The ones in the cup cook faster so it uses less fuel, and is portioned more for a single meal. You could pre-boil the pasta in a boxed mac-n-chese, dehydrate it, and then subdivide the cheese sauce or powder and the now-dehydrated noodles.

Or you can be lazy and buy the cup and it is done for you

Alpine Air Mac n Cheese.

Not so easy on the pocketbook but way better.

I usually eat a regular box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. I add 2 C of water in my pot, boil it, stir in the noodles for a short time, turn off the flame, & put in pot in a pot cozy. I wait around 10-15 minutes. I stir the noodles & add the cheese powder along w/ a 1/4 C of powdered milk (Nido works best for me). It takes a while but you can stir in it thoroughly after a while. I'll add some Olive Oil & some sort of meat (chicken, tuna, bacon, etc). Make a big meal if you're just starting out on the trail. Adequate meal if you're in the middle of your thru-hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

++ New Posts ++