WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default 2015 SOBO Thru Hiker August 10th

I am planning 2015 SOBO Thru Hike starting August 10th. ETA Springer Mtn January 2016. I am considering Chimney Pond Trail to Saddleback Trail to Baxter Peak to begin AT. This way I get to see the other side of Katahdin. My first visit to Baxter Peak. Any thoughts? Any other SOBOs starting soon? "Granddaddy"

Journal Entries

Well, thats the easiest way up, although long from Roaring Brook.
    But you also have to go down.
    Where are you staying that night?
    Are you carrying pack and 10 days food or dropping it at KS first?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-04-2015 at 20:31.

Images

The climb up and back down the Hunt Trail (AT in Baxter SP) usually takes 8 - 12 hours(less for NoBos in great condition). The route you are considering will take longer when you add travel time to and from trailheads. Remember all connecting roads in Baxter SP are narrow, unpaved and run for miles. There is no cell signal except on top of the mountain. Plan accordingly.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

If the weather and your conditioning allow, which is a big if, I would do Helen Taylor over Knife Edge and come down the Hunt trail, to my reserved spot at KSC You could leave your ruck at KSC and borrow one of their daypacks and slack over Big K (of course bring appropriate safety items). If you try this, start early, it will take some time.

If you decide to celebrate your achievement with alcohol on the summit, keep it on the down low...and then some.

Images

Going south through the 100MW late in the season the critters (chipmunks mainly) around the shelters and campsites have really figured out how to get to hiker food. Keep any food with nuts in a hard PET container rather than ziplock bags to keep the odor down, and if you happen to hang your food, make sure there are no ropes coming off the bag that dangle onto the ground such that they can climb up. A PCT style while keeping the bag 5' away from any nearby branches wasn't even good enough for me. I ended up sleeping with my food (what was left of it anyway) after loosing a days worth over three different nights. Critters are the Devil...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by myATguide View Post
    I am planning 2015 SOBO Thru Hike starting August 10th. ETA Springer Mtn January 2016. I am considering Chimney Pond Trail to Saddleback Trail to Baxter Peak to begin AT. This way I get to see the other side of Katahdin. My first visit to Baxter Peak. Any thoughts? Any other SOBOs starting soon? "Granddaddy"
    I think that if you were having non-summiting family drive you up that could be a great option, as they could drive your pack around to KS. Otherwise, not such a great Idea, I think.

I did my SOBO going exactly the route you describe with 12 days worth of food but got lucky, I think. Just too much potential to strain an untuned body. I don't buy into the "it's harder going downhill" school of thought, but coming off Katahdin with a full pack might be the one place it applies.

The big thrill on this route is coming down off the Tableland since as a SOBO you don't know what's exactly lays ahead. While it is MUCH more mellow than it may seem once you are actually moving forward, you definitely get an "oh ****, what did I get myself into" moment.

Incidently, the Rangers talked me out of going over the Knife Edge on that trip. It's not for everyone, but spectacular. One issue going over it from RBCG (apart from nerves) is that if the weather sucks when you get to the northern end, you are sort of screwed once you get to the northern end of the Knife Edge. That said, if it is a nice day and you have someone taking your pack around, and heights don't throw you for a loop, it would be a hell of a cool way to start your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If you decide to celebrate your achievement with alcohol on the summit, keep it on the down low...and then some.
    You gonna encourage him to keep pot on the DL at The Place too?

There is a hiker who started the International A.T. in Newfoundland in late May and will be only 5 or 6 days behind you when you start. There is an online map and track displaying the delayed position from a SPOT at http://darnold.maprogress.com/at-maine-usa.
    "To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

Journal Entries

I am still working out last minute details. Thanks for all the feedback! I will use a day pack for hike/climb the first day.

Go up knife edge

++ New Posts ++