WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Emma Grandma Gatewood

Preface: Many of us are well aware of the legendary Grandma Gatewood. But chances are good that not everyone currently browsing this site knows much more than her name, if that much. I knew of her some time ago, but not much detail. It was not until last year when Author Ben Montgomery's book, Grandma Gatewood's Walk, hit the market that I actually learned much more about this marvelous woman whom was probably much tougher and much stronger than I'll ever be. So, in the interest of spreading awareness or possibly renewing interest in her story among hikers (or soon to be hikers) I have "hunt & pecked" a few words about her journey on the Appalachian Trail and her life surrounding that journey.

In 1955, Emma Gatewood set out to complete a thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail. Attempting and failing a Southbound thru-hike the year before, she was now more determined than ever. She had told no one of her plans, packed and prepared simply, and headed off to Georgia in the Spring of 1955 to try again. On April 27th, she set off from Ft. Oglethorpe in Georgia and on September 25th, after enduring 2,050 miles, the woman and hero nationally known as "Grandma Gatewood" stood atop Mt. Katahdin in Maine and sang aloud the first verse of America the Beautiful.

While there is no doubt that her trek on the A.T. was an arduous one, the journey that led her to the A.T. was far more dangerous and without any doubt certainly much tougher. By the time of her first thru-hike, Emma Gatewood was 67 years old, the mother of eleven children, and had twenty three grandchildren. She had been married to an abusive husband for 35 years and endured brutal beatings almost daily for most of that time. During an interview with a reporter while in the New England section of the trail, she paused the interview to chase off a bear. When the reporter remarked on her courage, she simply replied that, "After the brood I've raised, bears don't worry me one bit." There can be no doubt that, at five-feet and two-inches tall, the woman was as tough as nails.

"I thought it would be a nice lark...
    but it wasn't."

In 1956, in Washington D.C., a Congressman from Ohio left the entire House of Representatives in awe as he read in to the official record of Congress the account of Emma Gatewood and the daunting trials which she faced while traveling from Georgia to Maine the previous year. Yet another distinction for the world's most determined woman - she is perhaps the only thru-hiker in history to ever have received official Congressional recognition.

Grandma Gatewood was always a lover of nature, a regular camper, and an avid hiker long before her time on the A.T. But after reading an article in the August 1949 edition of National Geographic magazine about the Appalachian Trail she was drawn to the journey that would re-shape her life, form her legacy, and revive an interest in the A.T. on a national level. One of Emma's daughters, Rowena, recalled her mother declaring, "If those men can do it, I can do it."

After her completing her first thru-hike, she became an enthusiastic promoter of hiking. She helped to establish what is now known in Ohio as the Buckeye Trail and regularly spent time hiking along that trail after its initial completion (it started off with about 20 miles of trail but has since evolved to almost 1,500 miles.) There is a six-mile stretch along the Buckeye trail, which connects Old Man's Cave, Cedar Falls, and Ash Cave, which used to be her favorite part of the trail to hike. That part of the trail, which passes through Hocking Hills State Park, is named the Grandma Gatewood Trail in honor of her.

In 1957, Grandma Gatewood set out to undertake a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail for a second time. Afterwards, having already been both the first woman to thru-hike the A.T. and (until 1971) the oldest person to hike it, she now added the additional distinction of being the first person in the trail's history to complete it twice.

By now, at the age of 70, you might think Emma Gatewood had finally rid herself of the hiking bug - but as any true-born traveler will attest, there's really no getting over it... Ever. So, in true wanderer fashion, she set out for yet another challenge. Leaving Independence, Missouri in May of 1959, Grandma Gatewood walked the 2,000 miles making up the Oregon trail, arriving in Portland, Oregon just a few months later (averaging a staggering 22 miles a day!)

When she wasn't on the road, Grandma Gatewood became famous around her home town for leading Winter hikes around the Buckeye Trail, one of the biggest events still held every year in many Ohio State Parks. As a matter of fact, throughout 12 years of leading these Winter hikes, she only missed one.

Fast forward to 1964 and Emma Gatewood, obviously unstoppable by now, completed a full section-hike of the Appalachian Trail. This made for her third trip on the trail and added yet another illustrious distinction to her ever-growing collection of achievements: She was the first person in the history of the A.T. to have walked it three times.

"For some fool reason, they always lead you right up over the biggest rock
    to the top of the biggest mountain they can find."

Whether leading Winter hikes, lobbying for the establishment or protection of outdoor areas, or just out painting blazes on trees, Grandma Gatewood was (without a doubt) a true pioneer and a close friend of nature. If she didn't give birth to the ultra-light movement in hiking, then she certainly raised its awareness like none other before her - plodding along the trail in her Ked's sneakers, with a shower curtain for rain protection, and a small cloth sack she carried over her shoulder filled with meager supplies. She also raised the levels of interest and enthusiasm in many women towards long-distance hiking (completely obliterating any doubts or stereotypes that may have existed about a woman's ability to succeed at anything they set their mind to.)

On June 4, 1973, Emma Gatewood, the wanderer and the adventurer, left us to go hike the big trail in the sky. She was 85 years old.

This has not been a complete re-telling of her story. There are so many other adventures she undertook, from kayaking in Canada to climbing Mt. Hood. And there is certainly far more depth to her story than the mere fragments mentioned above. I implore you (those whom are interested) to seek out more information about this extraordinary woman, her life, and her legacy. For the lucky few that knew her, I'm sure their life was better for simply knowing her. For the people whom only know of her, I promise, the more you learn about her the more rich and inspired your life will become.

Some suggested resources might be:

• Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame - Class of 2012 (Grandma Gatewood was inducted in to the Hall of Fame in 2012.)

• National Geographic Magazine - 1949 (A PDF copy of the National Geographic magazine article that inspired Emma Gatewood, generously hosted by the Appalachian Trail Museum.)

• Grandma Gatewood's Walk (A great book by Ben Montgomery, which was compiled after numerous interviews with Emma Gatewood's surviving relatives and unprecedented access to Emma's trail journals and diaries.)

• "Trail Magic" - The Story of Grandma Gatewood (Documentary about the life and hikes of Emma Gatewood. TONS OF GREAT INFO, PICTURES, ARTICLES, AND MUCH MORE AVAILABLE AT THIS WEBSITE. The documentary features original footage, re-enactments, interviews with her children and grandchildren, and much more. Ironically, the premiere screening of this documentary took place less than a mile from my doorstep and tickets were sold-out in minutes - I didn't have a prayer of even getting a peek. Thankfully, a deal is supposedly in the works with PBS, who should be airing the documentary on television at some future date - I HOPE!)

• (A preview trailer made just before the release of the "Trail Magic" documentary.)

• Buckeye Trail Association (And also a great page for information on Grandma Gatewood's Ohio efforts and contributions.)

• Hocking Hills State Park Trail Map (The Grandma Gatewood Trail is the section of purple-colored dashes.)

• Grandma Gatewood Trail - Ohio | AllTrails.com (Information about the Grandma Gate wood Trail on AllTrails.)

• Grandma Gatewood Trail Video Tour (A short YouTube exploration video of the Grandma Gatewood Trail along the Buckeye Trail.)

Finally, her story does not end there. It can be found in the hopes and dreams of wanderers from all over the world today. From Girl Scouts that yearn to touch the sky to victims of domestic violence who wonder if there really is a better life out there. And many of the more recent thru-hikers of today can even be heard uttering the words, "If she made it, then I can make it." Though, her fame may have arisen from trekking along one specific trail, she certainly paved a path that any of us can follow, anywhere.

GG4.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a very good writer and I am certainly not an expert on this subject. This is merely a primer that I hope might serve to inspire others to further investigate the life of this very interesting woman. The materials and resources from which I have based this short summary are derived from both free and paid material, as well as some material gathered online and some offline. Any faults, errors, or omissions are solely mine not those of Scott Jurek.

Journal Entries

Loved the sly reference in your disclaimer.

Images

Enjoyed that thanks.

Long after the speed hikers and record setters are forgotten, Grandma Gatewood will remain a legend.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Don't know why that video just magically appeared in the middle. All I added was a link there...

Anyway, just wanted to clarify that it looked much more organized before it was actually posted.

This was one special woman!

Thanks for posting this and mentioning our project to document Emma's life. You are right -- she was one amazing lady. We're excited to be taking her story to the Gallipolis Library on October 24th (we'll be presenting both the play AND the documentary) -- I hope you can come.

Bette Lou Higgins
    Eden Valley Enterprises

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely LOVE the project and the depths with which you have went to present her amazing story.

However, I live in Sheffield Village -- so, Gallipolis is just a bit more of a hike than I can manage right now.

Hopefully there will be a local screening again someday. In any case, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THAT YOU AND YOUR TEAM HAVE DONE!

Journal Entries

Google, you are the MAN...That's why I enjoy our friendship. You are HUNGRY for knowledge on the AT my friend and that is EXACTLY the preparation and desire that you need. Look forward to seeing you this year on the trail. Proud to have you as a follower of my journeys as well. Keep seeking and sharing what you find. We all appreciate it...or at least I do.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

Thanks, brother. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Speaking of planning, keep the videos coming!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g00gle View Post
    Thanks, brother. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Speaking of planning, keep the videos coming!
    Thank you my friend. I appreciate it.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

++ New Posts ++