WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Most people probably don't know what you do simply because you are doing it. Perhaps we need more posts like this.
    Unfortunately we get more posts about FKTer's than the few who actually do a little trail work.It also seems like many thru attempters are on a schedule and doing big mile days while paying very little attention to how they impact the trail.If one hiker puts just one candy bar wrapper in a firepit,then multiply that by 50 others who come by at peak times and in a few days it's already a trash pit.Many hikers are so concerned about their own hike that they don't really care about what happens after they're gone.I do see where other hikers do pick up after others,but everyone needs to pack all their own trash out and that's just not happening enough.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Most people probably don't know what you do simply because you are doing it. Perhaps we need more posts like this.

Agreed. It's amazing how many people just think that things occur. I swear - there are people I talk to that don't seem to grasp that most of the world that they interact with (roads, trails, internet, groceries, trash service, electricity, water, etc.) is not a given and that people work hard to provide those things. They have always had those things and are so divorced from the production of those things that the disconnect is almost complete -except when those things aren't present any more.

Sharing what goes into the feeding and care of a shelter is an interesting subject that helps increase understanding for all of us and I'm glad that you have been taking the time and trouble to do so.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Agreed. It's amazing how many people just think that things occur. I swear - there are people I talk to that don't seem to grasp that most of the world that they interact with (roads, trails, internet, groceries, trash service, electricity, water, etc.) is not a given and that people work hard to provide those things. They have always had those things and are so divorced from the production of those things that the disconnect is almost complete -except when those things aren't present any more

Sharing what goes into the feeding and care of a shelter is an interesting subject that helps increase understanding for all of us and I'm glad that you have been taking the time and trouble to do so.
    I guess it's in my blood.I'm just another true Tennessee Volunteer, and I'm not talking about those guys in orange and white throwing around a piece of pigskin.

Images

It amazes me that so many people who hike the trail are clueless about how much effort it takes to maintain,preserve, and protect the trail. They think its just there and every thing is free. Sadly if its thought to be free it's also abused.Many people are giving up there hard earned dollars and their time and hard work so that the trail is there for all of us to use. Cleaner, the section of trail you work on is one of my favorites. Thank you for your hard work. Thanks to the Carolina Mtn. Club also.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Cleaner, I was up there back in mid-June and remebered you were the person who'd clean up around there. I could tell there hadn't been any maintenance done for quite some time (not blaming you at all however). It was pretty bad. I took what small trash I could with me, as did a few other hikers, but we could only do so much. I also noticed the logbook was full (saw your entries on the 1st page).

Why does this particular shelter always seem to be described as one of the dirtiest?

Also, I have to say I was quite displeased with the trail conditions in this area- everything seemed to be overgrown. Is it due to it's distance from roads? I talked to a maintainer from TEHCC and he surmised that the people maintaining that area were getting up in age & couldn't get out as much as they used to.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for getting out there and fixing it up.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
    It amazes me that so many people who hike the trail are clueless about how much effort it takes to maintain,preserve, and protect the trail. They think its just there and every thing is free. Sadly if its thought to be free it's also abused.Many people are giving up there hard earned dollars and their time and hard work so that the trail is there for all of us to use. Cleaner, the section of trail you work on is one of my favorites. Thank you for your hard work. Thanks to the Carolina Mtn. Club also.
    Spot on. The attitude you allude to, in part, is why many think they have an immutable right to that path and that right trumps any desire by any owner or steward to expect a certain conduct from those that walk on their land. It is what prompts fools to suggest the federal government force said entities into submitting to the self absorbed thoughts. Most, including me, have no clue the lengths some go to make my vacations easier or even possible.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
    . They think its just there and every thing is free. Sadly if its thought to be free it's also abused
    It is free
    People know that someone built the structures, and cares for them, and carts out trash.
    They have no qualms about adding to the trash load

Images

This area is the farthest point from Asheville NC where many CMC members live.Also most are retired and cutting weeds is one of the hardest jobs maintainer's clubs do.Then the recent relocation of the trail off of the old jeep road was a bit of a mistake because the jeep road,while rutted in places, required no annual growth removal.The old jeep road is historic and has been a route from NC to the TN valley for over 100 years.It should be blue blazed for those who choose to follow that route.I may paint a few blue blazes on it myself.

Journal Entries

I would say that most people probably don't know WHY you're doing this. A lot of newer hikers I believe tend to see your work as nice but not needed. Yes they may have to clear out the fire pit a bit to get a fire started so they can burn their trash, but hey a little mess is to be expected and nature will keep it clean enough for them.

To this they don't yet understand that they do deserve a clean shelter area, by providing it they will come to accept that such a place is for them, and with that the desire to leave it clean for the next person.

Journal Entries

We ought to create a sticky thread where we can post pics of the trash we pack out.
    hikers gonna hike

Journal Entries

Thanks, Cleaner...for your effort. Greatly appreciated. It means a lot.
    hikers gonna hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    Thanks, Cleaner...for your effort. Greatly appreciated. It means a lot.
    The new plastic broom was $1.48,the notebook(register) was $.80.Probably used 2 gallons of gas in my truck to get there.I had to eat lunch anyway.The "thanks for your help"-Priceless.

Cleaner, I would like to get in touch. I live in Greeneville and am active in the local Boy Scouts. I'm also a CMC member, but not really plugged in over there. I would be willing to help personally and perhaps get some troops involved as well. Are there other caretakers for Little Laurel and Flint Mountain?

I kind of understand the trash bags hanging from the bear cables; it's a long way until a proper trash can. Better on the bear cables than on the ground I suppose.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bshow View Post
    Cleaner, I would like to get in touch. I live in Greeneville and am active in the local Boy Scouts. I'm also a CMC member, but not really plugged in over there. I would be willing to help personally and perhaps get some troops involved as well. Are there other caretakers for Little Laurel and Flint Mountain?

I kind of understand the trash bags hanging from the bear cables; it's a long way until a proper trash can. Better on the bear cables than on the ground I suppose.
    Sounds great give me a PM here and I'll reply with a phone#. As for Flint Mtn. and Little Laurel,the CMC may have someone but probably not.They have a Thursday work crew who gets by 2-3 times a year and that's not enough.During the peak thru season someone needs to go by once a week.Next year I'm gonna show up early AM at a shelter after having cleaned it the previous day.Somebody is not going to like what I have to say when the shelter is full and there is trash in the fireplace or firepit in front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++