Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pee Rag?!

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Default Pee Rag?!

I just read an article that said the best practice in personal hygiene for women is to cut a quarter of a bandanna to use as a "pee rag" that can be sun dried and UV sanitized on the back of your pack. This eliminates the need for toilet paper unless you need to dig a cathole and do #2. Supposedly sun drying will remove any odor.

For years, my solution has been to wear a panty liner and change it daily. They are compact, lightweight and easy to pack out with my other trash. They've worked well except on a few occasions, when it rained so hard that water ran down my neck and into my rain pants, turning the panty liner into a cold, soaking wet sponge. I've learned to avoid wearing panty liners in those conditions. I haven't had a single UTI since I started using them on my hikes.

The pee rag idea would eliminate the need to buy and carry panty liners, but I'm finding it hard to accept the idea that the thing will actually dry out on the back of my pack, given the amount of rain I usually encounter during a week on the AT. I smell bad enough at the end of a trip already, without a pee-soaked bandanna hanging on my pack. Or I could give myself another camp chore and wash it at night, thus ensuring myself a chilly, wet wipe when I "go" during the night.

Has anyone here actually tried using a pee rag?
    "Are we there yet?"

Journal Entries

Not me. I use the P-style. Used as instructed on their website, it eliminates nearly all drip, making a pee rag unnecessary.

I tried it when hiking on the wet Benton MacKaye trail. It never dried and after a few days the odor was unbearable. I had to double bag it.

I also highly recommend the pstyle, it is a lifesaver!

Checked out the p-style website. At 0.6 oz, it probably weighs about the same as a week's worth of panty liners. On Amazon it costs about the same as 3 boxes of liners and should last forever. More earth friendly too. I think I'll try it.
    "Are we there yet?"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Belle View Post
    Checked out the p-style website. At 0.6 oz, it probably weighs about the same as a week's worth of panty liners. On Amazon it costs about the same as 3 boxes of liners and should last forever. More earth friendly too. I think I'll try it.
    Last I knew it came in six colors.
    A suggestion I read in reviews elsewhere:
    Green and clear blend in with vegetation, so you might set it down and then not be able to find it. No issues with the other colors: orange, pink, blue, lavender.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Last I knew it came in six colors.
    A suggestion I read in reviews elsewhere:
    Green and clear blend in with vegetation, so you might set it down and then not be able to find it. No issues with the other colors: orange, pink, blue, lavender.
    You are right about the colors. When cleaning our gear after our last section-hike, my clear P-style disappeared. All I can figure is it got mixed in with the trash somehow and wasn't noticed. Immediately bought another one!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Default re: pee rag

Male so I can't help much.

I wonder if the pee rag works better in dry/sunny west coast climates. I think the same might be true if solar panels. AT is mostly shaded and humid.

Does Dr Balmers help?

My wife swears by her PStyle.

Advice she tenders: learn how to use it at home in the shower.

Got my new lavender p-style yesterday. There's definitely a learning curve. Not sure this additional gadget will eliminate the need for panty liners, so I may not use it for backpacking. But I can see using it in filthy restrooms on road trips.
    "Are we there yet?"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Belle View Post
    Got my new lavender p-style yesterday. There's definitely a learning curve. Not sure this additional gadget will eliminate the need for panty liners, so I may not use it for backpacking. But I can see using it in filthy restrooms on road trips.
    Yes, there are a few lessons* to learn.
    But I'd encourage you to work towards using it for backpacking. Much easier than liners, in my opinion.
    *Position it correctly, with the widest part at the point of discharge.
    *Don't pee into the wind.
    *Tilt it downward to empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post

Advice she tenders: learn how to use it at home in the shower.
    This is great advice! I thank you, especially since I just ordered one!!!!

I wonder about the sun drying making the smell go away. I have lived in sunny 3rd world countries and the only thing the sun did was make the smell worse where people had gone.

Images

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. Makes pee breaks very fast, which can be great on long hikes. I also find that I drink more & stay better hydrated, because peeing is way less of a hassle. And it is way more leave no trace; no TP or rag needed.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

I've heard of this thing... How do you wipe after peeing? Or do you just keep going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kat9Maui View Post
    I've heard of this thing... How do you wipe after peeing? Or do you just keep going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.thepstyle.com/
    "...when finished peeing, pull the p-style forward with a firm upward motion to remove any remaining drips."

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    http://www.thepstyle.com/
    "...when finished peeing, pull the p-style forward with a firm upward motion to remove any remaining drips."
    My wife just ordered two of these, one for hiking, and one for "icky bathrooms".... thanks for this post. Probably make her life alot nicer on trail and traveling. -Nate
    Our Hiking, Camping, & Bushcraft Videos:
    http://youtube.com/teainthetreesbp
    A.T. Thru Hiker (The Appalachian Trail Song):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpY_jBFwnU8

I've used the p-style about a dozen times now, including 3 pee breaks on a day hike. I'm not convinced it's worth the bother. It's nice not to have to squat, because squatting requires me to take off my pack to save my knees. But I still have to take off my pack to get the p-style out, since my pants don't have a good pocket for an item this large. Also, I have to undo my pants to the extent that I might as well just drop them and squat. And if I push firmly enough to remove all the remaining drips, it sort of scratches those delicate tissues. So I still need the panty liners to catch the drips.

I was going to use it in a nasty bathroom I encountered on the way to the trailhead, but I would have to lift that icky seat. Better just to hover over it. And I wondered if things could get complicated if someone came in and noticed that I was facing the toilet.

I haven't totally given up on it, but I suspect the p-style is going to go the way of the camp towel and a lot of other useless stuff I've spent all my lunch money on.
    "Are we there yet?"

Quote Originally Posted by misprof View Post
    I wonder about the sun drying making the smell go away. I have lived in sunny 3rd world countries and the only thing the sun did was make the smell worse where people had gone.
    From my limited experience at unofficial roadside "pit stops," I would have to agree with you.
    "Are we there yet?"

Journal Entries

I keep my P-style in a pouch strapped to my pack near/below the side pocket I use for my water bottle. I can reach it without removing the pack. Some of my pants/shorts work well with the P-style (zipper for sure! not too high-waisted), and others don't work at all. Haven't used it in a nasty bathroom yet. I prefer to wait till I can go in the woods, but that's not always possible. I haven't had problems with scratching, but we're all different. If one product worked for everybody, life would be boring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++