WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default More "Walk in the Woods" build up an the ATC

Thought this was a good movie "Poster"

https://www.facebook.com/AWalkInTheW...051609/?type=1

On another note, I have to say that I have mixed feeling about the ATC using the movie and it's images in its own outreach. At first I thought it "all good" but now I am not so sure. I do understand the "if you can't beat them join them mentality".

Does anyone know if ATC's leadership or professional staff will be attending any Premiers or Events associated with the movie?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Well the ATC will host a special screening of the movie on 8/13 inn Boston

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-...t-13-in-boston
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Default From ATC

Rick,

Four special screenings have been arranged by ATC and the film's distributor, Broadgreen. ATC will have representation at all of them.

Hawk Metheny, ATC's New England regional director, will be at the Boston screening. From the press release: "Hawk... will discuss the opportunities the film presents to the organization, the ATC’s involvement in the film, and the organization’s proactive approach to limit any damage caused by the expected increase in usage on the Trail."

Ron Tipton and other staff members will be at the Atlanta and DC showings. We had several representatives at the showing at the Outdoor Retailer's Show in Salt Lake City. That film showing helped garner us some new supporters.

ATC has a new section of our website that has information on the proactive steps that the ATC is taking (in partnership with local volunteers and agency partners) in anticipation of the release of this film at www.appalachiantrail.org/awalkinthewoods.

Our new series of short films on Leave No Trace are not yet posted and linked on our website, but I encourage folks here to check them out at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3RE4PgjDwg9NOp.

As you recognize, the film is coming, and we might as well work to make it in the best possible interest of the Trail.

The more ATC is associated with the film, the more people will come to get their information from and give their support to the organization responsible for management and preservation of the A.T. That's the bottom line.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Well the ATC will host a special screening of the movie on 8/13 inn Boston

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-...t-13-in-boston
    Looks like the Boston movie theater showing for this Thursday is already sold out -- and the ATC news was just posted last week.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'll skip the theater and catch it on DVD, I didn't read the book either.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I'll skip the theater and catch it on DVD, I didn't read the book either.
    Bill Bryson really is an excellent and engaging writer... My favorite of his is "A Brief History of Nearly Everything", then "Sunburned Country" (about Australia), then "Walk in the Woods" (3rd place). I've read and enjoyed a few others ("USA: Summer of 1928", "Mother Tongue", seems like one other...), folks really should try him out.

Thanks for that info Laurie P. Good stuff. Can't wait to see the flick.

Curious to see how well the producers portray hiking the AT

Quote Originally Posted by Gry View Post
    Curious to see how well the producers portray hiking the AT
    Not so well, put the movie was enjoyable and worth seeing anyway. It was more of a slap stick portrayal of thru hiking. Lots of ways to pick it apart for being inaccurate, but my daughter and I had a good time. Don't over analyze it, just have fun.

Thanks AMC and ATC for putting on the showing.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    Not so well, put the movie was enjoyable and worth seeing anyway. It was more of a slap stick portrayal of thru hiking. Lots of ways to pick it apart for being inaccurate, but my daughter and I had a good time. Don't over analyze it, just have fun.

Yeah I agree, it was not made for hikers, and I thought it fairly loose adaptation of the book, but does have some very funny moments and it was very cool to see recognisable trail locations on the big screen.....archway at Amicalola, McAfee Knob and many others.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to a preview screening down here in Sydney Australia.(No idea how that happened !!) Even better, Bill Bryson was at the screening and had a Q&A session after the movie. It was great to hear him talk about the book & his hike. Interesting to hear his take on his hike. He didn't think he had enough material for a book since hiking was basically the same thing every day & plus he didn't actually finish the trail. Then he realised that his experience was actually more typical of hikers out there (with most not completing the entire trail).
    A particularly hilarious part was his explanation of how Katz reacted to the draft manuscript, being completely OK with his portrayal in the book since it was 'fiction' despite Bryson pointing out to him that virtually every incident related in the book actually happened.

He seemed genuinely fond the of trail & valued his AT experience.

A fascinating night out !
    Last edited by Kaptain Kangaroo; 08-14-2015 at 03:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post

Good description - movie was definitely superficial from a hikers perspective and only loosely followed the book. I laughed - and enjoyed some good well known actors in their movie. It's a comedy/self discovery movie.
    ATC - (Hawk) gave a little intro speech and the over all message was - we know from past research that any movies or mainstream coverage of the AT increases interest and use. We anticipate it will cost close to three quarters of a million dollars to counter act and deal with the impact of this movie. Please keep this in mind and consider a donation to our efforts. Of course I'm paraphrasing.

Although I recognized several of the places on the AT, I was disappointed that a lot of the places in the movie were fictitious.

It's a Hollywood flick with A list actors and a good budget -probably a little more critical of it than 98% of people who will see it given my own personal connection to the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    As you recognize, the film is coming, and we might as well work to make it in the best possible interest of the Trail.

The more ATC is associated with the film, the more people will come to get their information from and give their support to the organization responsible for management and preservation of the A.T. That's the bottom line.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    Could not agree more!

Images

The movie will come and go and 75% of the people schlepping out of the theater won't be able to recall what trail the two protagonists were hiking by the time they order their latte at Starbucks for the drive home. Old heads of the AT.... Please keep this in mind. There will be a slew of AT contenders making a go of it next March/April who have had the dream long before the book came out, let alone the movie. I am one of the one's who will be walking next year and the first person who suggests I am attempting to walk 2,180 miles because of a 1.5 hour comedy is going to take a trekking pole to the head (kidding). All kidding aside, folks who live the trail and who have made the trail a piece of them... Don't view the entire class of 2016 as band-wagon wanna-bees. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    The movie will come and go and 75% of the people schlepping out of the theater won't be able to recall what trail the two protagonists were hiking by the time they order their latte at Starbucks for the drive home. Old heads of the AT.... Please keep this in mind. There will be a slew of AT contenders making a go of it next March/April who have had the dream long before the book came out, let alone the movie. I am one of the one's who will be walking next year and the first person who suggests I am attempting to walk 2,180 miles because of a 1.5 hour comedy is going to take a trekking pole to the head (kidding). All kidding aside, folks who live the trail and who have made the trail a piece of them... Don't view the entire class of 2016 as band-wagon wanna-bees. Rant over.
    +1

I actually considered getting some t-shirts made that proclaim, "No! I didn't see the movie!"

Though, I think people will still ask or comment, so why bother?

Plus, I've been a Redford fan since rain drops were falling on Newman's head, so I can't wait to see the movie for myself!

During my 2013 NOBO, every time anyone asked me if I'd read the book, I replied that it was a great description of how not to hike the AT. That always got a laugh and diffused any tension.

Images

[QUOTE=Trinn;1995727]During my 2013 NOBO, every time anyone asked me if I'd read the book, I replied that it was a great description of how not to hike the AT. That always got a laugh and diffused any tension.[/QUOTE

thats funny! And I should have pointed out in my rant that I did read the book .... Like a long time ago and the book did help stoke an already existing desire to do the AT. But that last thing I want to do is be viewed as just another easily influenced popcorn eater. Don't get me wrong... The general public will think everyone on the AT for the next 20 years is doing it solely because of the movie. I just hope those hikers that came before us are not so naive.

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    I just hope those hikers that came before us are not so naive.
    Nah, they're just highly opinionated!

* ducks and runs for the door...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    I was lucky enough to get tickets to a preview screening down here in Sydney Australia.(No idea how that happened !!) Even better, Bill Bryson was at the screening and had a Q&A session after the movie. . .

A particularly hilarious part was his explanation of how Katz reacted to the draft manuscript, being completely OK with his portrayal in the book since it was 'fiction' despite Bryson pointing out to him that virtually every incident related in the book actually happened.
    That is really funny. Thanks for sharing. You were really lucky. The only thing that might have been better was to have Katz do a Q&A session after the movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Trinn View Post
    During my 2013 NOBO, every time anyone asked me if I'd read the book, I replied that it was a great description of how not to hike the AT. That always got a laugh and diffused any tension.
    Similar sentiment. When people - friends and strangers - express interest in backpacking but have little experience, I cite Bryson's description of his first day's hike up the Approach Trail as a great lesson of how not to be prepared for a long-distance hike.

I saw the preview today and wonder why Robert Redford? The only reason I can see is the box office draw. To my mind he is a really bad fit for the role. On the other hand Nick Nolte looks a great fit for Katz.
    Downunda

Quote Originally Posted by Downunda View Post
    I saw the preview today and wonder why Robert Redford? The only reason I can see is the box office draw. To my mind he is a really bad fit for the role. On the other hand Nick Nolte looks a great fit for Katz.
    Let me add to my own post... having Robert Redford Play Bill Bryson on the AT was like having Tom Cruise play Jack Reacher
    Downunda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++