WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb Favorite Imusa Mods?

I am interested on your favorite imusa modifications. I love the idea of the mug, but like everyone else, am not thrilled with the factory handle. What do you like best, the flattened factory handle? Homemade wrap-around wire handles? Silicone? I'd love to see your faves. Thanks!

Images

Personally I see no reason to modify my Imusa and like it as it's made. However, I have enjoyed watching some of mods that Tinny at Minibulldesign has made to Imusa pots.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I remove the handle completely. Peen the rivets to make water tight again. Reflectix coozie.

adding a pot lid and maybe some carbon felt to the handle

ps. check out shug's hillbilly pot. He has spent some time with the imusa mugs.

Thank you. I want a one-handed pourable handle that does not get in the way. I think I will have to experiment.

I got this from hk2001 over at hammockforums: Sugru! Mold this heat resistant putty around the handle, cure for 1 hour and never burn yourself again. Buy multiple colors to personalize your mug.

It takes me about 3 packs to completely cover a 12cm pot handle. You might be able to do it with less.

https://sugru.com

I have purchased it online and in the adhesives department at target.

I bot a lid for mine and made a pretty effective Caldera Cone for it.Don't know if I will use the cone or not but it was fun to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I got this from hk2001 over at hammockforums: Sugru! Mold this heat resistant putty around the handle, cure for 1 hour and never burn yourself again. Buy multiple colors to personalize your mug.

It takes me about 3 packs to completely cover a 12cm pot handle. You might be able to do it with less.

Thanks for that -- had not heard of that product before but have seen people using silicone tape for handle insulation. I was thinking I might give it a try. Here is a link for the type of product:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Brand...-x-10/34165233

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I bot a lid for mine and made a pretty effective Caldera Cone for it.Don't know if I will use the cone or not but it was fun to make one.
    Would you happen to have pics?

$1 bandana to grab the handle, wipe my mouth, and clean the pot. Why over think a $4 pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sparky View Post
    Would you happen to have pics?
    Sorry,I don't have pics.2Q has a great video on You Tube if you want to see it.I highly recommend a bending tool.The one I got had a 3/8 inch slot so I made the overlap 1&1/8 rather than 1&1/2 like 2q did.Used a grommet hole punch for the vent holes.The cone itself wound up at 1.5 oz. and 7 inches tall.I like the Imusa for cooking in but will likely stick with my Snowpeak 600 for the time being because it is small and light and gets the job done for freezer bag jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    $1 bandana to grab the handle, wipe my mouth, and clean the pot. Why over think a $4 pot?
    I understand that perspective -- it is hard to beat the expense. I just would like the handle to be less obtrusive and have it easier to pour.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

You can make something VERY similar (it's called Fugru) by using regular silicone sealant and a tiny bit of corn starch. Google it for more info, it works great. Just gotta watch and not add too much startch or it will set up before you can shape it.

Images

Today I added a handle to a stainless steel pot, 11cm approx. 4 cup capacity. I used a picture hanging clip. Removed the d-ring and mounted it to the pot with tiny machine screws and nuts. Temporary fix until I find my pop rivet gun. The handle is from a Toaks titanium pot. Only one is needed to lift and pour water into a freezer bag. I have a couple 10 cm Imusa Mugs that I will make the same modification to. mug modification.JPG

Journal Entries
    Images

Very nice zelph.
    I assume you put the bead in it as well
    I have A bunch of imusa 10 cm pots that I am going to begin playing around with here after my SHT hike this august.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    Very nice zelph.
    I assume you put the bead in it as well
    I have A bunch of imusa 10 cm pots that I am going to begin playing around with here after my SHT hike this august.
    Your next project is beading the Imusa mugs and then onto stainless and then to infinity and beyond :-)

Journal Entries
    Images

Your next project is beading the Imusa mugs and then onto stainless and then to infinity and beyond :-)
    LOL I dont think ill be beading the imusa pots not yet anyway.
    I do have A few things im thinking about though 8)

++ New Posts ++