WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cook Forest State Park (PA)

Anyone ever camped at this park? I have never been anywhere near this park but some friends are trying to get a group site for a few days. They have like 30 different trails so I was fishing for ideas on must hit trails in the park. We will be there a few days so if you know of any other fun things to do in the area I'd gladly take recommendations. I have no clue what to expect, especially with wild life. They claim black bears and mountain lions are in the area so I'm kinda hoping we don't have to deal with bear spray but we'll do what is necessary. ( goes to pack bazooka and grendades )

Images

You won't need bear spray. I've never seen a black bear in that area, though I know they are around. Same with mountain lions. If you see one consider yourself lucky. Cook Forest is a very popular spot in the fall when the leaves are changing color and there are often a lot of people on the trails. That tends to keep the critters out of sight. There is some old growth forest there, and one of the highlights from my boy scout days was climbing the fire tower and checking out Seneca Rocks, an overlook with a view of the Clarion River. Beware of snakes out on the rocks.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries

I like Clear Creek SP, 11 miles from Cook Forest SP. The latter is huge and sometime crowded.

Cook Forest is beautiful, but can be crowded. Check out Seneca Rocks and the Forest Cathedral. The Longfellow Pine, one of the tallest trees in the Eastern US is in the park. It is about 180 feet tall. The Cook Trail was also nice, and not as crowded as Forest Cathedral. I hear the North Country Trail along the Clarion River is very scenic.

Clear Creek SP is also nice. Lots of trails in Clear Creek State Forest, the hike to Beartown Rocks is good.

There weren't many reservations booked at Cook Forest SP for the weekend we were planning for (mid Sept). I'll see if I can talk them into checking out the hikes at clear creek. As always, white blaze provides! Thanks all!

++ New Posts ++