WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Around and about...

Default Noland Creek Trail to Smokemont or vice versa?

Noland Creek Trail to Smokemont or vice versa?

I'm concerned about leaving the car at the Noland Creek Trail and Lakeshore Drive Junction, so I'm thinking NOBO is best but want to check.

That is, I'm thinking of leaving the car at Smokemont (need advice where), and getting a shuttle around to the Junction, i.e. Noland Creek Trail and Lakeshore Drive Junction.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts. Planning this trip for the early FALL, e.g. OCT.

Thanks again.

Around and about...

Either NOBO or SOBO I would probably do this over three days, something like 8.2-12.5-5 (NOBO), or 5-12.5-8.2. Thanks again.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Don't worry about leaving your car at the Noland Creek Trailhead. Vehicles are reasonably safe at any of the trailheads. It would be a lie to so Mo break in ever occur. But no particular trailhead has (in recent years) flagged for having problems.

I can't say for sure, but I would suspect your car to be more vulnerable if it had quick access like along 441. By comparison, the only way you are likely to get a break in at the Noland trailhead is if someone was determined to take the time late at night to drive all the way out to the trailhead with the specific intent to break into cars... because otherwise the trailhead at the end of the road to nowhere is pretty popular during the day.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Next, I am going to suggest NOBO strictly because that puts your shortest day last. That way you have more time to get hone and start cleaning up than if you did a longer day last.

Images

obviously both places could potentially be a place for a break in---as no place is guaranteed----but i think smokemont would be safer in the circumstance.....

that being said-----ive parked at both the bridge and the tunnel along lakeshore drive and had no problems (in fact, no problems of any of the places ive parked for any hike here in the southeast)...........

but, i have seen a broken window at the tunnel for one trip (not my car)...

the tunnel since its pretty remote for rangers, and is outside of the bryson city limits, i think allows it for people to come back there and party a little at the tunnel.......

at smokemont, you can park right in the campground and there is a ranger station that is at the entrance...

and down here, you have all kinds of options of parking----parking along the road going in, or smokemont road, or for what i would deem to be the safest-----right in the campground...

cant remember i one can leave a car overnight at bradley fork or if thats just for day hikes but this space of like 5 or six spaces, is at the end of the loop of the campground on the farthest side from the entrance...

sometimes all those spots get full so i go back towards entrance and there's a couple of small parking lots along the river...............spaces for like a dozen or so cars.......

ive had no problems parking there for an overnighter..........and even better for a multi nighter....

as for shuttles----hike inn should be able to do it for ya...........i know they run from the dam to cllngmans so this shuttle falls within that range.......

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Now that I fully understand your itinerary, I'm still going to call NOBO just because I like CS52 over CS61 and so I would save the best for last. No views up at CS52, but I really liked that campsite for some reason.

I'll also warn you that Pole Road Creek trail is somehow longer than its 3.3 mile label on the trail map would indicate. I can't say exactly why... other than it has quite a few stream crossings... a few that might require you to take your boots off. I just remember the one time I've hiked it, it sure seemed longer to hike it than I expected, and some hikers I encountered near the top couldn't believe how long it took them to climb it.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

TNHiker,
    I didn't think there was anywhere that only day hikers were allowed to park (except perhaps picnic areas that are only open during the day... and then only if the close the gates at night).

I can say I've left my car at Bradley Fork for overnight hikes without incident (and no signs saying otherwise).

Images

Yeah.....one can't overnight in picnic areas.....especially the Anthony creek one where there's signs stating that...

i couldnt remember if the Bradley fork had a sign as I think I've only parked there for day hikes and have parked along the river for other trips.....along with getting there and having all the spaces full...

and likewise---I liked 52........

Around and about...

Thanks for all the feedback. Who is the best shuttler to get me from Nolan Creek Trail Head over to Smokemont? Is that going to be GryWolf or Jude Julius? Thanks again.

Images

I've never used those two---on that side of the park, I've always used the hike inn...

they can shuttle ya along with if you need a room, they run a hotel as well....

Quote Originally Posted by JustADude View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Who is the best shuttler to get me from Nolan Creek Trail Head over to Smokemont? Is that going to be GryWolf or Jude Julius? Thanks again.
    I've used Jude Julius many times over the past few years and she's easily the cheapest I've encountered and 100% reliable.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

++ New Posts ++