WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Quick Question -- Maps

For those who are familiar with the area, can you tell me if I can navigate the following alternate route with just the Salida/Buena Vista Latitude 40 map, or would I have to get a some Trails Illustrated maps?

Quote Originally Posted by pmags
    Hope Pass: The old Colorado Trail route (and current CDT route) is harder but much more scenic than official CT. At 12540’ the views are breathtaking. Hope Pass is also the literal highpoint of the Leadville 100 ultramarathon that takes place in mid-August. After coming down Hope Pass, you go right and eventually connect back up to the CT on a dirt road. Or you can do the alternate below… (Use Trails Illustrated Map #127)

Missouri Gulch: Not too long after Hope Pass, you will go by the historic town of Vicksburg. This town is actually a historic site that has been re-built. Shortly after this town , you will come to a trailhead for Missouri Gulch. This alternate is far prettier than dirt road of the official CT. Much harder, though. This alternate has you surrounded by three 14ers (Missouri, Belford, Oxford) and is an incredible view. If you are into peak bagging, this route is esp. good as the 14ers are easily accessible. The views from up to and at Elk Head Pass are stunning. You follow the trail and connect back to the CT in a valley. (Use Trails Illusrtated Maps #127 and #129)

Also, if just the Latitude 40 map is sufficient, would you happen to know the weight of it?

Thanks!
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

That description is no longer correct. There is new trail that turns off to the west while you are still in Sheep Gulch while descending from Hope Pass, so you no longer do a roadwalk for either the CT or CDT. In fact, the eastern option of the CT has not followed the Clear Creek Road for many years - it goes directly from Twin Lakes to Clear Creek Reservoir and does not go over Hope Pass.

If you want to climb Missouri, Belford, and Oxford then just continue down Sheep Gulch and follow pmags directions. That is really a great alternate - you can summit three 14er's in a single day. This route returns you to the eastern CT route, however, so you would miss almost all of the Collegiate West except for Hope Pass.

The new construction is up to date on the Lat 40 map, but not on National Geo yet.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post

Also, if just the Latitude 40 map is sufficient, would you happen to know the weight of it?

Thanks!

3.25 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    3.25 ounces
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    That description is no longer correct. There is new trail that turns off to the west while you are still in Sheep Gulch while descending from Hope Pass, so you no longer do a roadwalk for either the CT or CDT. In fact, the eastern option of the CT has not followed the Clear Creek Road for many years - it goes directly from Twin Lakes to Clear Creek Reservoir and does not go over Hope Pass.

If you want to climb Missouri, Belford, and Oxford then just continue down Sheep Gulch and follow pmags directions. That is really a great alternate - you can summit three 14er's in a single day. This route returns you to the eastern CT route, however, so you would miss almost all of the Collegiate West except for Hope Pass.

The new construction is up to date on the Lat 40 map, but not on National Geo yet.
    Thank you! That really helps.
    On that note, if I were to follow the regular route, would you recommend Collegiate East or Collegiate West? (And why?) I've yet to plan my route all the way (once I order all my maps and stuff I'll get to it), but I thought I'd ask your opinion on how they are different. I might do CW and then circle back for a couple days to bag a couple peaks on the northeastern side of the loop, otherwise I might just do CE and follow the alternate route on the way to Twin Lakes.
    (I'm going NOBO if I didn't mention that)
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

In fact, the eastern option of the CT has not followed the Clear Creek Road for many years - it goes directly from Twin Lakes to Clear Creek Reservoir and does not go over Hope Pass.

I.
    Admittedly, I could have clarified (and I just did....) but i was stating you could use the the road to connect TO the Collegiate East CT again and NOT that it was the CT itself.

And, to be fair to myself, I did say Hope Pass was the old CT route. As recently as 2008, I spotted very faded CT markers there.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mags; 08-18-2015 at 02:16.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    3.25 ounces
    I've got hi-resolution CT TOPO maps, including the CW route, all on JPEG files that you could carry on your phone, print, etc; would be glad to send those to you somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post
    Thank you! That really helps.
    On that note, if I were to follow the regular route, would you recommend Collegiate East or Collegiate West? (And why?) I've yet to plan my route all the way (once I order all my maps and stuff I'll get to it), but I thought I'd ask your opinion on how they are different. I might do CW and then circle back for a couple days to bag a couple peaks on the northeastern side of the loop, otherwise I might just do CE and follow the alternate route on the way to Twin Lakes.
    (I'm going NOBO if I didn't mention that)
    That depends upon you and possibly the weather. Both routes are nice. The eastern route passes by Mt. Princeton Hot Springs which is a big hit for some people. It also has a fairly significant (6 miles) road walk which I don't particularly care for. The western route spends considerable time on the crest of the divide and is above treeline in places and, IMO the new piece from Cottonwood Pass to Tincup Road is spectacular. It is also more problematic as it holds snow until mid July so early season hikers may have difficulties, and is more exposed to the elements. It goes down in enough places that you can always camp in the trees though. Both routes are clearly defined, well marked, and easy to follow.

There will be a new data book out by next spring that will accurately portray both routes.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 08-18-2015 at 09:14.

Images

Here's an example of one of those JPEGs I have, generated with the latest set of GPS coordinates along the CT, including the 2014 version of the CT west. This JPEG shows the beginning (or end if NEBO) of the CT west at twin lakes. Each JPEG is roughly 3 MB, too big to email, but I can post on some server like drop box. You have to zoom in to see details, lots and lots of details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Don't hike Collegiate West with only the data book!

I know it has been written previously in this forum, but here it is again - the current data book does not have the 22 mile reroute that begins near Texas Creek. As we hikied northbound on the Collegiate West last week we encountered several very frustrated southbound hikers. They were completely unaware they were on the 22 mile reroute that began at Texas Creek. The reroute is so easy to follow that they simply continued down the new trail without realizing their data book was now useless. Why is this a problem? There is a long (about 9 mile) waterless stretch without many camping opportunities. Southbound hikers must pickup water before getting above tree line about 2 miles before Cottonwood Pass Road. They will not find water again on the trail until Mineral Basin about 7 miles beyond Cottonwood Pass Road. The new trail is spectacular. It just requires some planning that is very easy to do if you know what you will encounter. Use a map or the Collegiate West app ($4.99) for that 22 mile section and you will be much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Walking View Post
    = As we hikied northbound on the Collegiate West last week we encountered several very frustrated southbound hikers. They were completely unaware they were on the 22 mile reroute that began at Texas Creek. The reroute is so easy to follow that they simply continued down the new trail without realizing their data book was now useless. Why is this a problem? There is a long (about 9 mile) waterless stretch without many camping opportunities.
    I suspect they did not have maps it seems? Even if the trail is not on some maps, the terrain does not change at least....

As an aside, the CTF website and even my free doc mention that that that "the 5th edition is completely revised with basic maps showing side trails, has excellent “quick and dirty” resupply info, water info, campsite info and gives details for the Collegiate West alternate (but not the ~23 miles of the 2014 re-routes around the Tincup area) and has information on bike detours for wilderness areas."

Their frustration is on them, basically.

LD Hikers are so used to connect-the-dots guidebooks and apps for trails, many long distance hikers seems to have trouble adapting on the fly to situations on long trails. And pre-hike research seems to be, ah...not as thorough.

(Not aiming this at you; just an observation I am seeing to be more and more true on the popular trails. The overall outdoor skill set seems to be less...)

Last edited by Mags; 08-23-2015 at 23:54.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

LD Hikers are so used to connect-the-dots guidebooks and apps for trails, many long distance hikers seems to have trouble adapting on the fly to situations on long trails. And pre-hike research seems to be, ah...not as thorough.

(Not aiming this at you; just an observation I am seeing to be more and more true on the popular trails. The overall outdoor skill set seems to be less...)
    And some hikers seem to be expecting the CT to be a condensed version of "Wild". I 've had conversations with completers this year who expressed that the CT turned out to be too primitive and secluded for their tastes. Too few towns along the way, phones don't work, not as well marked as the PCT....

Maybe the reality of living without Facebook for a few days at a time is just too much.

I 've had conversations with completers this year who expressed that the CT turned out to be too primitive and secluded for their tastes. Too few towns along the way, phones don't work, not as well marked as the PCT....

Wow... To me the CT is very well marked...never mind the "negatives" they kvetched about. Those are positives if you want a backcountry experience.

I hear the Camino is pretty nice with lots of amenities.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Registered Offender

I've had conversations with completers this year who expressed that the CT turned out to be too primitive and secluded for their tastes. Too few towns along the way, phones don't work, not as well marked as the PCT. Maybe the reality of living without Facebook for a few days at a time is just too much.
    May we hope these types never do the Hayduke!

Most everyone I met this summer (I was NOBO, or No-E-Bo, to be nitpicky and I met about four hundred thru-hikers heading to your neck of the woods) LOVED the trail, though there were a few who whined about it. (Weird that, since I didn't notice anyone with a gun pointed at them, forcing them to march...) Obviously, I didn't have much to say to those who disliked the experience, since we didn't quite connect. If anything, I found the trail too well marked and less of a wilderness experience than it had been years ago. Access to it is getting easier every year and there are bridges, replete with handrails(!), over creeks that could easily be stepped over. But man, what a great--GREAT--trail, especially the newer stretches along the Collegiate West.

We did the Collegiate West using Guthook's iPhone App - it's up to date and has water availability info, plus topographical info. The paper map we bought in Twin Lakes "just in case" wasn't up to date with the new singletrack. Didn't use the databook anywhere on our thruhike. Had the guidebook on our kindle for campsite/trail info and it was, well, how to put this? occasionally useful, mostly not? I would have loved those maps, Colorado Rob, cuz I'm a map junkie! Next time

Indeed there is a long, magnificent section above timberline, so be aware of the weather.

++ New Posts ++