WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Too bad your hike will start just south of Standing Indian. Where do you live? If you want to do a shakedown hike, to try out gear and camping techniques, head out to Deep Gap, NC this autumn and hike to the summit of Standing Indian and camp out just below the summit on the south side. There is a spring near a campsite there and you can check out the summit and maybe catch the Milky Way if the weather permits.

Journal Entries

I am in North Georgia. I may definitely do at least a couple of overnighters and weekenders before I take to the AT in May.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Lots of great advice here. Ditto on take your time, enjoy it. Lots of places to be picked up if needed. Ron Brown runs a local shuttle service for that area out of Elijay and he's very flexible, knowledgeable and reasonable. NOT saying others aren't he's just who I use. Lots of other great people out there. Trekking poles for the down hills are A+. If your close enough for a weekend shakedown hike go to the Springer parking lot and hike North to 3 forks, about 4.25 miles. Then cross the forestry road there and go another mile or so to Long Creek Falls and spend the night there. The next morning hike back to your vehicle. Going north will be mostly down hill and then back to the car will be up hill. You get to test your self both ways. Lots of water. And plenty of opportunity to practice with your equipment. You will be surprised what you will learn from an overnight trip like this. This October will be my third year on the trail. I don't make the distance I would like but my fiancé goes with me now and considering she has fought cancer 5 times in the last 25 years she does great. Just enjoy the gift of the trail and the woods.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Great advice. Thank you.

Images

Do it! I did it in 9 days including the part of the Approach trail at the top of the falls & I am not skinny.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Eight days for 75 miles or so is reasonable for most folks, given good weather, no injuries, etc. Not a walk in the park -- it's tough terrain, but well-traveled.

Images

until three years ago I was living in your hometown and spent much time up on them ridges and in them hollars. first, 42 is young. I hiked the PCT at 45 and other than creaking up the trail, I felt like a kid. 8 days should be possible if you continue to work out prior to your trip. there are plenty of Plan B options and with shuttle options you can always kick them in if need be.

One logically note. I would start at Rt 76 to make the logics for this and your next trip easier. it only cuts a few miles off. have a great hike.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    until three years ago I was living in your hometown and spent much time up on them ridges and in them hollars. first, 42 is young. I hiked the PCT at 45 and other than creaking up the trail, I felt like a kid. 8 days should be possible if you continue to work out prior to your trip. there are plenty of Plan B options and with shuttle options you can always kick them in if need be.

One logically note. I would start at Rt 76 to make the logics for this and your next trip easier. it only cuts a few miles off. have a great hike.
    Malto, did you just refer to your pace on the PCT as "creeking up the trail?" I'm 34 and I sincerely hope that in eleven years I will be able tO creek up the trail at even close to your pace.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Old? Who you calling old?

When the day gets long and the going gets tough set small goals. Figure out how many steps you take to the mile, packed down of course. When you hit the long part of the day count your steps - it will help the time pass and help you keep a rough track of where you are.

I'm betting you will do fine!

Journal Entries

Last night my husband and I walked 5.38 miles in 1 hour and 48 minutes. Of course, that was around a level track with zero weight. I figure if we do that 2 or 3 times a week and take the stairs in my office building every day (and my purse must weigh at least 15 pounds), I might be in shape to do 10/12 miles in an 8 hour day. Does that sound reasonable?

Images

I lost 35 lbs. on weightwatchers and used the Clyde Soles Mountaineering Training Program. . I made 1, 015 mi at 55.(GA-WV).

Lnj you ask about miles per hour and miles per day. Walking with a pack up and down steep, rocky, rooted trail is nothing like walking in town. Nowadays, packed for a typical 3 or 4 day hike, I average anywhere from 1 to 2 miles/hour, depending on terrain. Years ago at age 37, physically fit but with short legs and a too-heavy pack, I was averaging 11 miles per day through Georgia.

Journal Entries

Rafe - Yes, I know there is an enormous difference. I have done a good bit of hiking this past year. I have already been up and back down Blood Mtn with a large group, 2 dogs, and a super light day pack. I just wanted to see what my personal best could possibly be right now, just walking, period, to see if my expectations for the trail are feasible. Our goal is to average 10/11 miles per day for 8 days. We are both heavy and out of shape right now, but training has begun, so we will be better by then (May) too. If I can walk 5 miles, 3 times a week and do the stairs every day at work (I'm on the 3rd floor), I should increase my bare walking speed/ability and also my hiking ability/speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++