WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pantyhose for warmth?

Hello, a few years ago when I worked in construction a few of us found that pantyhose were great for keeping warm. I know........guys wearing pantyhose. have any of you tried this? it seems like a great lightweight alternative for hiking in cooler temps. thoughts? Thanks!

"Susie"

* ...imagines himself strolling down the trail in a pair of black fishnets.

Oh, boy! I'd probably be shot at first sight.

When I was a scout, we would buy men's hosiery, basically calf high pantyhose to use as liner socks as the commercial liners were very expensive and these were cheap. The "try on" socks from shoe stores work too.

Being in construction, I have run into ladies who also swore by the trick. I have heard of some runners using them as well to prevent windburn.

Unfortunately for most of us (gents in particular) if you don't shave your legs or have very fine hair wearing skin tight long underwear of any type gets very uncomfortable after a day or two. I found even a typical Duofold skintight long underwear uncomfortable to unbearable by day 3 for this reason. So if used, I size my stuff a bit loose now.

I don't have a link handy- but fishnet long underwear is very popular in Finland, Norway, etc. Many of the BPL folks seemed to get on board with it as well, though I never tried it personally. The fishnet stuff is meant to be worn under other layers though, the principal being simply that you create a layer of trapped air but let the skin breathe as much as possible. So wearing them by themselves is really only handy for your next nightclub visit.

Point being- your idea is sound... and assuming you already own them, why the hell not try them on a hike to see.
    The question then becomes do you like wearing them every day, if they can make it on a 3-5 night trip, or if you would find yourself sending a pair in every maildrop because of runs and snags.

as a bonus... I would think you would get some mild compression sleeve type benefits if they worked out.

Used'em years ago. Compression pantyhose do work a bit. I find them a bit warmer than not, but any capaline or other synthetic long johns, even silk-weight, is warmer and more durable. I would probably like the compression hose in my old age where I would benefit more than when my circulation system was younger. But, what I found, years ago, was sure, they're warmer than no long underwear, but, I don't find that slightly warmer quality worth it. I either don't wear long underwear, or wear warmer long underwear, the super-light very slightly warmer than nothing quality isn't import to me.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Only ever wore them once, dark green, one cold night back home in the English winter....
    My excuse was that a group of us were heading out for a fancy dress party and I thought I made a fine Robin Hood. Not too sure why as I don't remember ever seeing Robin Hood in a pair of tights but there you have it, it was the seventies, an early start on the 'green movement' perhaps?!
    After a few bevvies, ( lots of beer), we made a quick stop on the highway at a truck stop for some grub. So much for my get-up, a trucker peered over at me and blurted out, " Peter Pan, right"??!!

Thanks everyone for your input. I think this winter i will give it a shot and see how it works out. i was thinking of using them as an added layer to long johns when its a bit colder than planned. I havent weighed a pair of them but I imagine that they are under an ounce for some added warmth and take up very little space, seems like a good deal to me.

I love capilene and they kept me plenty warm. I also added a pair of leg warmers, the knit "socks" go from ankles to up over the knee. After hiking for about 10 minutes I would start pushing the leg warmers down, below my knees, then about calf high, and then scrunched up around the tops of my boots. If I stopped for a break I could pull them back up to keep warm. I think panty hose would keep you warmer but they aren't nearly as easy to put on and take off as the capilene pants, and the leg warmers were a perfect addition in cold weather because they were so easily adjustable. You can sometimes find leg warmers at yard sales, and there are online companies that sell them.

I've often wondered if nylons would keep ticks off the legs, but the durability is likely not very good.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Used em. Woolies work better though.

I must have been drunk when my wife talked me into dressing up in drag for Halloween.

It was pretty cold that year and I froze my arse off.
    I guess they might work a little under some rain or wind pants but not under a dress.

They still sell pantyhose?

As I was growing up all the ladies wore pantyhose and everyone made fun of Joe Namath for wearing pantyhose

I don't know when the ladies stopped wearing them, but lately I've noticed that all women have bare legs, not that I'm always looking...OK, I'm always looking, but only in the interest of social studies

of course now they make running tights like under armour cold gear. There are tons of off-brand tights available...

Silk makes a good base layer and won't raise as many... eyebrows.

Images

my father wore them because of ticks. at least that's what he told my mom when she found them in the glove box.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 08-19-2015 at 13:00.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK......"

Wore 'em in the Army while standing in freezing conditions in Germany. Wore 'em once because I couldn't handle the ribbing from my buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Old duck hunting trick

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    When I was a scout, we would buy men's hosiery, basically calf high pantyhose to use as liner socks as the commercial liners were very expensive and these were cheap. The "try on" socks from shoe stores work too.

Being in construction, I have run into ladies who also swore by the trick. I have heard of some runners using them as well to prevent windburn.

Unfortunately for most of us (gents in particular) if you don't shave your legs or have very fine hair wearing skin tight long underwear of any type gets very uncomfortable after a day or two. I found even a typical Duofold skintight long underwear uncomfortable to unbearable by day 3 for this reason. So if used, I size my stuff a bit loose now.

I don't have a link handy- but fishnet long underwear is very popular in Finland, Norway, etc. Many of the BPL folks seemed to get on board with it as well, though I never tried it personally. The fishnet stuff is meant to be worn under other layers though, the principal being simply that you create a layer of trapped air but let the skin breathe as much as possible. So wearing them by themselves is really only handy for your next nightclub visit.

Point being- your idea is sound... and assuming you already own them, why the hell not try them on a hike to see.
    The question then becomes do you like wearing them every day, if they can make it on a 3-5 night trip, or if you would find yourself sending a pair in every maildrop because of runs and snags.

as a bonus... I would think you would get some mild compression sleeve type benefits if they worked out.

Seriously runners getting windburn?! That's a new one to me. I'm a biker(pedal) there you can get windburn.

Regarding wearing pantyhose yeah that's something the world doesn't need to see me in. I'm a fat hairy beast wouldn't be a purdy site. :4:
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

it worked for Joe Namath

I lost my long johns and replaced them with some UL tights from Target similar to these:

http://wheretoget.it/look/601124

I think the sunny design increased warmth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++