WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default This is my gear so far. Help greatly appreciated!

This is what I have so far. Sorry I don't have a scale to weight it. Advise on what I'm missing or what I still need for a SOBO thru hike appreciated.

pack:
    1. Osprey Crescent 90.
    1. pack rain cover.

Shelter:
    1. Sierra lightyear CD tent.
    1. EMS Mountain light 20 degree down bag
    1. Silk bag liner
    (I still need to purchase a sleeping pad but not sure what to get.)

Eat stuff:
    1. Antigravity gear 3 cup cookset.
    1. Additional 80z alcohol fuel bottle.
    1. minibulldesign Sith pepsi can stove for back up.
    1. MSR mini works water filter.
    1. Lexan spoon.

Clothing:
    1. silk weight capeline top.
    1. Mid weight capaline top.
    1. silk weight capeline bottom.
    3. capeline underwear.
    1. pair Outdoor research gortex crocodile gaiter.
    3. Smart pair Hiker Smart Wool socks.
    1. pair capaline mid weight glove liners.
    1, bulky fleece pull over from walmart.
    (Still need to look into purchasing outerwear like pants)

Rain gear:
    1. EMS Thunderhead jacket.
    1. EMS Thunderhead pant.

Other stuff:

1. pair MSR Carbon walking poles.
    1. Knife.
    1. head LED lamp.
    1. small first aid kit.
    1. small compass.
    2. bandanna's
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. - William Shakespeare

Images

Default Food Bag?

Since you'll need to hang your food, you will need a bag to keep it in. It should be waterproof, or have a garbage bag liner. Other than that, it seems like a good list. You may want to switch to lighter weight fleece and take just one of the capilenes. Have fun!

Images

Default my gear so far ,help appreciated

some kind of radio is nice weather ect ect,but heck lucks like a good list so far,ky

Section Hiker - 900 miles TooTall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husko
    1. Silk bag liner
    1. capeline underwear.
    1. EMS Thunderhead pant.
    1. Knife (unless it's very very small).
    1. small compass.
    I'd ditch all of the above.

The bag is going to get dirty no matter what you do. The bag liner is just an annoyance.

You can always mail or make the backup stove so don't carry a spare.

You have four layers with the Rain top, fleece top, capeline top and capeline underwear so you don't need the mid weight capeline top. Four layers is enough.

Usually two pairs of anything is enough so ditch the third pair of underwear.

Where are the hiking shorts or pants? If that's the capeline bottom then you do need it. Maybe two pair of shorts or pants so you have something to wear on the trail and a pair for in town.

You don't really need the rain pants - you either sweat with them on or get wet with them off so just ditch them. You don't lose heat in your legs much so they really aren't that useful as another layer for cold.

You don't need a compass on the AT.

Maybe just some nail clippers instead of the knife.

Where's the plastic trowel and toilet paper for you know what?

Got a fleece or wool hat for when it's cold? Maybe switch to a baseball cap when it's not.

Too Tall Paul
    "He who knows others is learned; he who knows himself is wise." - Tao Te Ching

Here's some of the things I've done with a small knife:

*Used it to slice food and prepare meals....slicing cheese, salami, and meats;
    peeling and slicing fruit; also good for vegetables
    *Used it to cut rope, for bear bag, laundry line, other occasions
    *Used it for minor surgeries...lancing blisters, sawing off callouses, etc.
    *Used it to create and sharpen wooden tent stakes when metal ones were
    lost
    *Used it to whittle wood shavings to start a fire
    *Used it to cut branches off a branch in order to make a splint.
    *Used it to open parcels and mail; used it to cut tape in order to create same
    *Used it to cut cardboard to make a sign for hitch-hiking
    *Used it to cut up a bandana in order to make bandages
    *Used it to gut and clean fish
    *Used it to open botles, jars, cans
    *Used it for many minor repairs of gear, clothing, etc.

And so on....

Here are some of the things you can do with nail clippers:

*Clip your nails.

In other words, I suggest you might want to think about bringing a knife.

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TooTall

You don't need a compass on the AT.

Too Tall Paul
    I wouldn't recommend anyone go in the woods without a compass, no matter how well marked the trail was...
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Husko
    This is what I have so far. Sorry I don't have a scale to weight it. Advise on what I'm missing or what I still need for a SOBO thru hike appreciated.
    How about some weights?
    pack:
    1. Osprey Crescent 90.
    1. pack rain cover.
    Might want to switch to pack liners
    Shelter:
    1. Sierra lightyear CD tent.
    1. EMS Mountain light 20 degree down bag
    1. Silk bag liner
    (I still need to purchase a sleeping pad but not sure what to get.)
    Look at the Campmor 20F down bag
    Eat stuff:
    1. Antigravity gear 3 cup cookset.
    1. Additional 80z alcohol fuel bottle.
    1. MSR mini works water filter.
    1. Lexan spoon.
    80oz fuel bottle? Damn that is HUGE! You may want to cut that down to about 8-20 ounces. You should be able to re-supply enough that 80 ounces would be way overkill. 80 ounces would weigh about 4 pounds.
    You could also change out the water filter for iodine or some chemical and save some weight.
    How about a food bag? Fire starter?
    Clothing:
    1. silk weight capeline top.
    1. silk weight capeline bottom.
    3. capeline underwear.
    1. pair Outdoor research gortex crocodile gaiter.
    3. Smart pair Hiker Smart Wool socks.
    1. pair capaline mid weight glove liners.
    1, bulky fleece pull over from walmart.
    (Still need to look into purchasing outerwear like pants)
    Use shorts and a light pair of rain pants.
    Rain gear:
    1. EMS Thunderhead jacket.
    1. EMS Thunderhead pant.

Other stuff:

1. pair MSR Carbon walking poles.
    1. Knife.
    1. head LED lamp.
    1. small first aid kit.
    1. small compass.
    2. bandanna's
    OK, how about the following:
    Map
    Guidebook
    Camera
    Journal
    Soap
    Toilet paper
    Water bottles/bladders
    Towel
    Tooth brush and paste
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    *Used it for minor surgeries...lancing blisters, sawing off callouses, etc.
    *Used it to open parcels and mail; used it to cut tape in order to create same
    *Used it to cut up a bandana in order to make bandages
    *Used it to gut and clean fish
    *Used it for many minor repairs of gear, clothing, etc.
    These tasks can also be done with nail clippers. I primarily use either to open food packaging.

*Used it to slice food and prepare meals....slicing cheese, salami, and meats;
    peeling and slicing fruit; also good for vegetables
    *Used it to cut cardboard to make a sign for hitch-hiking
    These tasks can be done in town where you can usually borrow a knife. Or you can borrow a knife from Jack out on the trail. Where the heck do you get cardboard out on the AT?

*Used it to create and sharpen wooden tent stakes when metal ones were
    lost
    *Used it to whittle wood shavings to start a fire
    *Used it to cut branches off a branch in order to make a splint.
    Do you really need a knife just for this?

Weight=Fear. If you're afraid you'll have to cut small logs then, by all means, carry a buck knife. I'd recommend, at most, a very small pen knife. I'd also recommend a small P38 style can opener.

Too Tall Paul

Watching this guy gut and clean a trout with nail clippers would, if nothing else, provide some amusement at day's end.

I think I'll stick to the knife.

Watching this guy gut and clean a trout with nail clippers would, if nothing else, provide some amusement at day's end.
    Open up the belly with the nail file. Take your thumb and gut the fish. Glad I can be of service for your amusement. (grin)

Too Tall Paul

Don't forget rope to hang your food. Also something to carry water. When the spring is 1/4 mile (or more) from the shelter, you don't want to make more than 1 trip. We use an Rei water bag - it holds 10 quarts and is very light. It is nice for taking a shower in the woods too.

Images

lots of good thoughts so far... hope these are too:

pack liner. gotta agree on a pack liner vs pack rain cover... i use a garbage bag, others use a trash compactor bag... my pack has no top flap, and i've never had anything get wet through the garbage bag. sometimes i carry a small (14" square) foam pad, to sit on, and it lays on top, under the strap, as a sort of flap.

knife-i carry a small Swiss Army Knife Tinker (i think that's the model... about $20 on sale at campmor... large and small blades, can opener, bottle opener, useless tweezers, useful toothpick, and i think that's all...)

p-38 style can opener would be redundant for me.

bag liner. would use on a longer hike simply because of the 'funk' factor... i don't carry one on my shorter trips.

toiletries. tp, travel toothbrush, toothpaste. carried a trowel, seldom used it, replaced it with a tent peg or a stick.

water filter. maybe you looked already, but if not, look at chemical purification vs filter... i use Aqua Mira. not real fond of iodine, but you can improve the taste with the vitamin C addative.

foam pad. i never found much difference in pads. they're all hard. went to a thermarest, then to a hammock. but that's just me.

you've not mentioned boots/shoes.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    How about some weights?
    Agreed - once you put stuff on the scale you will be surprised how fast you decide you do or don't need things...
    So be it.
    --John

SGT Rock-"How about some weights?"
    Personally, I'd leave the weights at home. Even small weights for doing curls are too heavy to carry on a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker
    Don't forget rope to hang your food. Also something to carry water. When the spring is 1/4 mile (or more) from the shelter, you don't want to make more than 1 trip. We use an Rei water bag - it holds 10 quarts and is very light. It is nice for taking a shower in the woods too.
    I have a MSR 10 liter water bag http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH but I thought it might be to big and heavy? I'll be glad to not spend the money on another one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker
    lots of good thoughts so far... hope these are too:

pack liner. gotta agree on a pack liner vs pack rain cover... i use a garbage bag, others use a trash compactor bag... my pack has no top flap, and i've never had anything get wet through the garbage bag. sometimes i carry a small (14" square) foam pad, to sit on, and it lays on top, under the strap, as a sort of flap.

water filter. maybe you looked already, but if not, look at chemical purification vs filter... i use Aqua Mira. not real fond of iodine, but you can improve the taste with the vitamin C addative.

you've not mentioned boots/shoes.

Thanks, ditching the rain cover and will pick up a trash compactor bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    80oz fuel bottle? Damn that is HUGE! You may want to cut that down to about 8-20 ounces. You should be able to re-supply enough that 80 ounces would be way overkill. 80 ounces would weigh about 4 pounds.
    You could also change out the water filter for iodine or some chemical and save some weight.
    How about a food bag? Fire starter? Map
    Guidebook
    Camera
    Journal
    Soap
    Toilet paper
    Water bottles/bladders
    Towel
    Tooth brush and paste
    whoops i meant 8 oz fuel bottle. I'm really freaked about the water. I'll have to start with the mini works filter and some type of chemical treatment as you recommend. Hopefully somewhere along the trail I'll have the confidence to send it back home. I have a camp towel. I'll bring that. Same goes for all the other toiletries stuff and the guide book. Where do I get a guide book? I'll have to look into a light weight camera that I can send home to get developed there.

A lot of controversy over bringing a knife. Mine is a 3 0z knife that can be attached to the outside of my bag. I'm going to bring it for function and maybe even a little fear. I like the idea of bringing a small P38 style can opener. If that isn't too heavy maybe I'll just throw one in my cook set.

I have a waterproof food bag that I forgot to mention.

I'll be getting all my gear together and writing it down as I put it into the pack for my final list and a weight of my pack. I'll have to weight it on your standard bathroom weight scale.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. - William Shakespeare

Images

I think I'll stick to the knife.

I gotta agree with you on that one Jack. Telling someone to go into the woods without a knife is not very good advice, imho. That goes for a compass or maps as well.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Yeah - leave the knife at home and save the 3 oz, so you can borrow it from everyone at the shelters when you need it. You might bug the hell out of everyone you hike with, but at least you're ultralighter!

Not to mention that a knife is one of the ten essentials. But then so is sunblock and I usually don't take any.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TooTall
    Open up the belly with the nail file. Take your thumb and gut the fish.
    This is probably why nail clippers are banned on airplanes. Some people think you could take over the world with a nail clipper.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    Yeah - leave the knife at home and save the 3 oz, so you can borrow it from everyone at the shelters when you need it. You might bug the hell out of everyone you hike with, but at least you're ultralighter!
    Yea, I agree. I am opposed to the idea of "Planning to borrow" things you need. That's not fair. It is akin to making "Sherpa's" out of your fellow hikers.

I not opposed to borrowing something in a emergency or something you did not plan on. But if you need it, YOU should be the one carring it.

I've always thought that a small pocket knife is very useful to carry. A knife like a small Swiss Army knife. Not a large one now, but a small one, at around 3 ounces would be in order.

I carry a swiss army knife even when I am not hiking. It's always a useful thing to have in your pocket.

Panzer

Underwear is just a carryover from the way things are in town - and the secomd pair of socks will do whenever gloves are needed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++