Default Questions about Agua Dulce to Interstate 15. (Section D - 112.5 mi)

I am thinking about hiking Section D of the PCT. (Agua Dulce down to Interstate 15.) I am completely new to the PCT, live in San Diego, and figured this would be a great part to hike through the mountains. Could anyone give me some insight on the terrain and personal experience with this part of the PCT?

I've done some research, but figured I would ask for your personal experiences on it.

Thanks guys!

The most complete answer I could tell you for our personal experiences for this section of the PCT is to start reading our journal here at Day 14 and continue to Day 18:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=478086

But if you are looking for the Readers Digest version: Poodle Dog (be sure you know how to ID it!), a side trip to the summit of Mt. Baden Powell might be desirable and make sure you are aware of the Endangered Frog Detour.

Thanks Royal. Dates are tentative too, just trying to gather input on whether or not this is a good section to hike.

I am trying to stay away from as much desert as possible, but still remain in California.

Assuming you know about the water report: http://pctwater.com/

Images

there is major burn areas in that section but it is certainly not a bad section at all. learn about poodle dog. Once you climb out of the station fire area the terrain is high and mostly forested. It is a long dry hike down to the highway but I enjoyed that part (going up.)

Hi there! I am currently slowly working through section D on weekends and can tell you that it is a great section! The main concerns for me are
    1) burn areas, because of poodle dog bush and general closures. When you first start out for example (assuming heading SB) there is a section that is newly recovered from burning a few years ago- basically North Fork Saddle to Mill Creek Summit. There was also a small fire that started last Friday called the Cabin Fire and much of the trail area/ campgrounds around the 39 was closed (should be open now).
    2) water. It is heavy and you need a lot of it.
    3) heat. It was over 100 last weekend and it just isn't fun to be out in it. Lots of section D has no shade, no relief. Make sure you do lots of research before risking big miles in this section.

Some highlights are:
    1) a ranger told me this is a good place to see mountain lions, since this is a less traversed part of the trail (I still haven't seen one, so not sure about that)
    2) Vasquez rocks and the trek from there to Soledad Canyon
    3) Camping at the Acton KOA. It is next to the Shambala Preserve- a big cat rescue place. You can hear lions roaring all night Definitely something you won't get anywhere else on the PCT.

Good luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly of the Valley View Post
    You can hear lions roaring all night Definitely something you won't get anywhere else on the PCT.
    Unless you are camping just south of Big Bear near Onyx Summit. lions, Tigers, bear Oh my!
    Attached Images Attached Images

++ New Posts ++