Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes I too carry a knife, as I said in my original post I am pretty good at defending myself with it, but truthfully the need has never risen. I, like you utilize it for other purposes on the trail. Hiking sticks work pretty well too as does deet in the eyes. Pretty good as a pepper spray if need be I am sure. But seriously, a gun for me on the AT is not necessary however I understand others may feels differently.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    I am not sure if this would be considered a concealed weapon, but I do carry a small pocket knife with me on backpacking trips. The knife is not only a weapon, but it is a useful item at cutting into packaging, editing rope, etc etc. You may not use it everyday on the trail, but you will wish you had it when you do need it.

Also. Self-Defense Classes. I took them in college. You could do you tube videos and practice with your partner. No weight included. :-P

As far as the people who say they will never carry anything on the trail for defense....I am always reminded of the people who were killed at the one shelter, and Inchworm who went missing under unknown pretense. I would rather be prepared, taking into thought weight/usefulness of the weapon, than to find myself in a position that you can't defend yourself. You may never find yourself in a situation that requires defense, I hope to god you don't, but it could be a life changer if you do carry something with you.

My little town in VA was shocked last year with a incident that no one saw coming. It was right in front of my old work, there is this cheap hotel you could stay at for a while if you are in a hard situation. Well, over night, a woman was murdered right in the parking lot over her purse. Apparently no one heard her and she was stabbed multiple times while trying to crawl away. This kinda of incident in a town that never see's so much as a bar fight made me rethink the safety of the woods, etc.

Like I said before. I would just do a few lessons on self defense, and take a small pocket knife. Carry it in a pocket, or at your waist. It comes in handy on the trail for general things, while also aiding you if something were too happen.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Decided to ask the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and they directed me to the FAQ section and we discussed it. They advise and please go read it for yourself, that usually if the state allows it you can carry it with a permit, but keep in mind these important factors: the trail crosses 14 states and not all states comply with another states permit, mailing a firearm back home should you realize you do not need means filling out a declaration form at the post office which is a big nuisance, just because that state permits it does not mean establishments in towns permit it, the USPS definitely does not permit when you retrieve your mail packages for resupply and many USPS have metal detectors and most important of all, even if you are allowed to carry it in that state on the trail, if you discharge the gun you can be charged even if it saves your life. To date, all who did discharge a gun on federal parks lands have been charged, I am sure they made exceptions but was unable able to find any except for licensed hunters while hunting in season. Please do not take this to mean I am against guns on the trail, I have a concealed carry permit myself and own several guns, I believe we all have the right to make our own choice but it should be a FULLY informed choice. Good luck, be safe and God bless.

Have to admit, what concerns me more is how many men lurk on the female threads.....found a few on the sports bra thread and then on the thread where we women were discussing products for urinal use. My spouse agrees this is highly inappropriate. Isn't the the point of a female only section to be for females only? LOL I mean why exactly would you as a man feel the need to not just read our posts but actually comment on them? Seems to me that if this was posted in a female only section....please gentlemen consider that, and consider how it could make your wife feel if other men did that to them. And for gracious sakes, do not reply telling me your wife would be fine with it because maybe your marriage works that way but mine does not, we have respectful boundaries. Thank you.

I sort by new posts. I saw the topic and decided to comment since incorrect information is being put out.

I'm guessing you saw the no guns allowed sign on the ranger booth? That's only applicable to the ranger booth. You're right that federal law trumps state law - its a federal law that states national parks follow state laws. Look at the SNP FAQ.

Images

Not to be crabby and/or pedantic about this but - first - this post was placed in the females thread and, second, it was addressed to "any of you ladies." If that's not you, then seriously what ARE you doing responding to it? If I see a post addressed to "current thru-hikers" or "PCT hikers" - I don't respond to it because I'm not in those categories. I don't find making that distinction overly taxing.

This really is why women get irked over "mansplaining."

Jane

Images

While I have not hiked the particular section you will be hiking, I have hiked a lot on the AT (and elsewhere). I have never felt the need to carry any sort of weapon. I am not anti-gun, or anything.... Just haven't felt the need. The majority of the people who are out on the trail are out there to hike and enjoy the trail.

Can danger be found on the trail? The potential is there - Same as anywhere else. It's just the odds are greatly decreased. Personally, I find the city living is far more likely to be dangerous than being out on the trail by myself. The majority of the people on the trail have been nothing but friendly. The ones who sketch you out can be easily avoided. Just politely move on. You are far more likely to encounter guys who

The trail is rarely completely void of people... It is easy enough to find those to hang out with in camp (if you camp near shelters).

Just go out there and enjoy the trail. You will find that there is far more beauty in the trail, than ugliness. Don't let your boyfriend's fears dictate your hike.

I saw the same thing happening in the female threads discussing sports bras and urinal options for women and was like ewwww why are men reading this AND commenting? It kind of begs the question if they take these kind of liberties on invading our privacy especially online then how will they behave when we may be alone with them on the trail in a shelter? I admit it helped me make my decision to take my tent and not use the shelters now, I was wavering back and forth on that but now I see how some might behave....kind of made my decision for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    Not to be crabby and/or pedantic about this but - first - this post was placed in the females thread and, second, it was addressed to "any of you ladies." If that's not you, then seriously what ARE you doing responding to it? If I see a post addressed to "current thru-hikers" or "PCT hikers" - I don't respond to it because I'm not in those categories. I don't find making that distinction overly taxing.

This really is why women get irked over "mansplaining."

Jane

Seriously if you MUST force yourself to reply to our female posts then at least have the decency to read ALL the post I posted. NO I did not read the no guns sign on the ranger booth, had you read my other post you would of seen I was stopped and told to empty my pack on more than one occasion to prove I was not packing a gun. Believe it or not we women are perfectly capable of discussing this amongst ourselves and coming to our own conclusions. I never put any false information out, I stated again and again what I was told, where I was told it and by whom. I also reiterated again and again to call the rangers in Georgia and talk to them and read the info from the ATC website. The info is conflicting but what is not conflicting is that if what one of you men advise this women to do is incorrect then she is the one paying the consequence. Same goes for mister constitutionally right, i know the Constitution, i served my country thank you very much. The person who began this post may or may not suffer conseqences if she gets caught carrying and screaming about the Constitution would have to be done after she had her gun taken from her, had herself arrested, hired a lawyer, fought it in court, all a pretty big disruption from listening to a bunch of men....and finally, her hike would be a serious disaster. And that is providing she does lose her case. Whereas I advise researching it for herself and reminded her she will be the who pays if she gets caught and things are not the way the men on here are advising her. At least my way she is making her decision based on her own research, then if something happens she knows she did it on her own accord. I am not the only one this happened to because others contacted me by pm saying it happened to them as well. Sadly they did it by pm because on our female only thread they were intimidated to discuss it openly because of all the men jumping in on a discussion that was none of their business anyway. It was posted in a female only thread, addressed to all you ladies out there and followed up with a warning from a moderator to not not post if you were a man and yet, look how many of you have posted. In all seriuosness, learn what boundaries are and remember respect goes a long way, we are ladies, please treat us as such. What is supposed to be a thread about women discussing whether or not to carry a gun on the AT has now resorted to us scolding men, after you were told several times to please butt out.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I sort by new posts. I saw the topic and decided to comment since incorrect information is being put out.

I'm guessing you saw the no guns allowed sign on the ranger booth? That's only applicable to the ranger booth. You're right that federal law trumps state law - its a federal law that states national parks follow state laws. Look at the SNP FAQ.

I carry a gun daily in my everyday life. I have never carried one while hiking.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

The extra weight's not necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    I have never carried on the AT, never felt the need to. I know a couple of guys that started out carrying. The weapons were IN their packs, which would seem to be rather pointless anyway. One of them had his wife come and get his. A gun could give a false sense of security and cause you to not listen to your instincts. If a situation does not feel right, then a gun would not make you safer, but distance would.
    And also, even though you can carry in a lot of the states the AT passes through, there are some places, such as Nat Parks, State Parks, etc that it is not legal. And if you happen to enter a Federal building, such as the post office, visitor center, campground office, etc, you would be violating federal law. Yes, you probably won't get caught, but if you do, you could be charged with a felony. Carry a knife on your pack strap or bear spray (but check regs on the bear spray too). Just stay alert when in towns and road crossing; that would be your best defense.
    You would get caught in many a federal building, going through security.

I recommend martial arts training.

Default Concealed weapons for single female hikers

pepper spray+teargas+UV marking dye.
    10bucks
    with the pepper spray and tear gas you will stop just about any one.
    and the UV dye so the cops know they got the right guy.

Default Concealed weapons for single female hikers

I carry one and so does my wife light weight but still make us feel more comfortable in those less than comfortable moments.

guns work too, we find them a bit heavy for us tho.
    and we don't want to kill anyone.

I just wrote an article on safety while on an A.T. thru-hike written by a female with the same reservations as the rest of you before starting out.

http://appalachiantrailclarity.com/2...lone-together/
    Great blog site for new and/or female hikers! www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

I carry in my everyday life, I have never carried while hiking or backpacking until this weekend. Honestly, after what happened I was wishing I had brought a bigger caliber. I took a group of ladies on their first ever backpack trip. I had a friend that also carries. I seriously thought about leaving mine home but decided I would bring it. I did the same trip the weekend before with my husband to check it out and make sure of water sources etc. We had a peaceful evening. This Saturday evening with the ladies as we are sitting around the campfire, a group of men started bushwhacking up from the lake and then past our camp about 200 feet, they circled around back to the lake and then back up behind us. They were very loud, cussing etc. We could not figure out why or what they were doing. A friend mentioned maybe an initiation? They finally settled behind us, while this is going on another man walked into our camp. I am pretty sure he was fine, just looking to see which of the five camps were not being used, but we had a fire going and he came off the trail and into camp. It really freaked some of the ladies out. We continued to hear the noisy men behind us at their camp. We all went to bed a bit edgy. My hammock was near the turn of our camps to the trail, it kind of made a y and then went down to the main trail. At two in the morning they were on the move again, bushwhacking, not taking a trail but heading down towards the lake again. They were yelling loudly and making all kinds of noise, then they came back up near our camp and headed on to their camp. At that point I was watching all their headlamps and trying to keep track of their location.
    The next morning when we left we took the trail down and saw a camp which we believe were the men we heard, honestly earlier in the morning I thought it was young men just drinking and having fun, but when we past them they all stood watching us go by and when we said hello they did not bother to speak to us. It gave me an uneasy feeling even more than the night before. Now I am trying to find a way to comfortably carry on backpack trips. As i said to the women Saturday night, I have always wanted to go by myself, I have not, but have been thinking of going, it kind of made me not want to any longer. I will not be going alone unless I have a big protective dog and I am carrying.
    I do not think it is the backpacking people you have to worry about, it is men partying, or preying on people.

I have carried on the trail, but now... its I feel its just weight that i don't need... bear spray i figure can do just about the same, it weights less, and has a duel use.

sorry I also wanted to add ... don't camp at spots close to roads that cross the trail... the only times I have felt uneasy has been when my husband i have. (you get drunks, locals that are out for fun ) all the reading says to stay away from those areas, and well 2 times we didn't listen (husband and I guess it was one of those things well he's with it will be fine) and BOTH times we didn't get much sleep, there were drunks and just odd things that happened

I think it's worth the peace of mind..
    For anyone worried about the extra weight, my advice would be to throw out a few bags of M&Ms.

I've never carried while on the trail, but I do carry a knife, and a chargeable flashlight/stungun combo. That crackling sound is a powerful mental tool as well. Hit that button and anyone will know you mean business.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++