WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Timing for Trail Days

Considering a hiker starts at Amicola Falls and does the approach trail, hikes at a decent pace, shows up in good shape and with a decent understanding of what he is getting into.... When would he have to start in order to hike as close as possible to Damascus for the 12th of May?

I undersrand there are a million factors that go into any answer. I am just curious on a range. Assume the decent pace is just that.

April 1st has been the traditional target start for many years. the expected increase in interest is suggesting spreading the impacts in many ways, SOBO. flip-flops, etc. Your target for Trail Days is around 30 days. Less if trail fit or pushing, more with weather or injury (aka; pushing too soon) It is easy to leap forward to TD's, or fall back.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

How does an April 1st start date equate to 30 days? That's actually 42 days to March 12th. Or am I missing something? That could be the swag associated with weather etc?

In 08 I started April 9th. Hiking very conservatively, I rolled into Damascus on the 11th of May (and promptly out the morning of the 12th). I easily could have cut that down by 3-4 days.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    In 08 I started April 9th. Hiking very conservatively, I rolled into Damascus on the 11th of May (and promptly out the morning of the 12th). I easily could have cut that down by 3-4 days.
    Good info. I am thinking about pushing may start to right about then (April 9ish) for many reason ... One of them being I get to turkey hunt before my hike (ya gotta have priorities) the other is cold (did I mention I live in Houston). I want to avoid as much cold as possible (although I realize I will have some). I will tuff through it. The only difference is I won't jet right through Damascus. Thanks for your reply.

Took me about a month to hit Damascus. I made it to Parisville? and rented a car and drove back with a April 1 start date.

Trail Days is timed to be right at the peak of the northbound thru-hiker wave. Easy to make it "on time" with an early April start. Lots of folks get off the trail and hitch to Damascus from wherever they happen to be at the time.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Damascus is around 467 miles from Springer and adding in the Approach Trail you're at about 476 miles. Not to over simplify things, but just divide 476 by your expected daily mileage (factoring in zero days) and there's your answer.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Damascus is around 467 miles from Springer and adding in the Approach Trail you're at about 476 miles. Not to over simplify things, but just divide 476 by your expected daily mileage (factoring in zero days) and there's your answer.
    the simplest things are so hard to achieve. Thank you. Good information. I think it would be an entertaining goal to hike into Damascus for Trail Days. I understand there are many factors that may put me under or over the mark.... But having that intention would we cool. Said another way... It's not a do or die thing. Thanks again.

Hey Jake. I am actually planning the same thing -- start at Springer, time it to arrive in time for Trail Days. I live in Tampa and work in Houston. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. Someone who's done it twice said his time was 35 days both times (including breaks and zero days.) Jack

++ New Posts ++