WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How's the smoke/fire on the JMT?

I've heard of a few groups backing out of their trip half way through due to smoke and fire. It's really bad here in rocky mountain national park. Does anybody have any recent photos from the trail. I would hate to start and not be able to finish. We have some alternate trails in mind CDT and AZT, but I really want to do the JMT.

I'm wondering same thing..due to start sept 10..thx for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A handful of folks have posted smoke/fire photos and reports on the jmt Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    A handful of folks have posted smoke/fire photos and reports on the jmt Facebook page.
    Pls keep me posted if u see anything that's worth passing on as I'm not on FB...thx again

I was on the mist trail yesterday and the valley was smokey. When coming from the 41 you couldn't see half dome or the other side of the valley from the look out. I say the visibility dropped to about 1 mile at some sections.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Pls keep me posted if u see anything that's worth passing on as I'm not on FB...thx again

FB still has many posts about extremely smokey conditions. Someone mentioned a site called viewer.smoke.airfire.org as being a "smoke forecast tool". Still a lot of people exiting the trail early due to the smoke.

Yep...been on yahoo..have lil over two weeks so I'm hoping for improvement....fingers crossed

On Sunday I finished the PCT from Donner Pass to Walker Pass including nearly all of the JMT including Mt. Whitney. There were several hazy days including disappointing visibility on Whitney and nauseating smoke over Mather Pass, but few hikers left the trail. I met one couple that bailed out at Bishop, took the EST bus to Independence and resumed their hike from Onion Valley.

Anyone carry some sort of particulate filter or will buff help with smoke?

Images

Just got back. After Muir Pass (Southbound) the smoke got really bad at times. Obscured views, could taste it in the water, and I found it a little hard to breath at times. That said, there was a pattern to it. It almost always was cleared out by the mornings, came in in the afternoon, and was at its worst by late afternoon. Worst in the valleys, better higher up.

If I got to a reported;y beautiful spot that I wanted to see, I would camp there and wait till morning so I could enjoy it. It often pushed me on to hike more hoping the next valley would be better. It was better after Forester Pass. The view from Whitney was obscured, but still magnificent.

From what I understood the fire is not contained. Route 180 is closed which effects some JMT bailout points. For the latest news, search the 'Rough Fire.' Here is what I found...

http://abc30.com/news/rough-fire-gro...tained/957826/

I feel the fire has effected the number of hikers. There were noticeably less in the smoky areas. I presume day hikers and locals with more options are just canceling their plans. Rangers stated that it would likely remain like this for the season. I believe there are recommendations that people with asthma or heart disease avoid the area.

Yes, saw several people hiking with bandannas covering their mouths.

All that said, I had a fantastic hike, learned to deal with the smoke, have no regrets. If you have your permit for the JMT, I would not cancel any plans (baring health conditions). The positives out way this negative, and you will still have a great time. I would not be surprised to hear there are improvements in September. Have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Just got back. After Muir Pass (Southbound) the smoke got really bad at times. Obscured views, could taste it in the water, and I found it a little hard to breath at times. That said, there was a pattern to it. It almost always was cleared out by the mornings, came in in the afternoon, and was at its worst by late afternoon. Worst in the valleys, better higher up.

If I got to a reported;y beautiful spot that I wanted to see, I would camp there and wait till morning so I could enjoy it. It often pushed me on to hike more hoping the next valley would be better. It was better after Forester Pass. The view from Whitney was obscured, but still magnificent.

From what I understood the fire is not contained. Route 180 is closed which effects some JMT bailout points. For the latest news, search the 'Rough Fire.' Here is what I found...

http://abc30.com/news/rough-fire-gro...tained/957826/

I feel the fire has effected the number of hikers. There were noticeably less in the smoky areas. I presume day hikers and locals with more options are just canceling their plans. Rangers stated that it would likely remain like this for the season. I believe there are recommendations that people with asthma or heart disease avoid the area.

All that said, I had a fantastic hike, learned to deal with the smoke, have no regrets. If you have your permit for the JMT, I would not cancel any plans (baring health conditions). The positives out way this negative, and you will still have a great time. I would not be surprised to hear there are improvements in September. Have a great hike!
    Thx for sharing!!! How long were you out for? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that conditions improve as I start 2 weeks from today!!! Sounds like start early and finish early......i only have 14 days so I'm hoping can make it with smoke....

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Obscured views, could taste it in the water, and I found it a little hard to breath at times. That said, there was a pattern to it. It almost always was cleared out by the mornings, came in in the afternoon, and was at its worst by late afternoon. Worst in the valleys, better higher up.
    Although this is dated information, when I got to the smoky section in 2013 I noticed the same thing. The smoke would get really bad by mid-afternoon/evening and then clear out overnight at the higher elevations. So that's one way to try to stay out of it as much as possible. I spent a good portion of the 6 days I was in smoke with my buff over my mouth. I was hiking with a friend, and he was pretty much unaffected by the smoke. The smoke really got to me though. Had trouble breathing and felt terrible by the end of each day when I was in the thicker stuff (looked like thick fog in some areas with very limited visibility).
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

NOAA is including smoke in their weather reports. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...8#.VenUVs5u8YU

You can put in GPS coordinates and see a smoke report. But you will be on trail, soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    NOAA is including smoke in their weather reports. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...8#.VenUVs5u8YU

You can put in GPS coordinates and see a smoke report. But you will be on trail, soon enough.
    Thx for sharing...hopefully they are correct!!! Shows wind out of east Thursday....start day also!!!

Images

I was in Yosemite last weekend and hiking in the area of the JMT. At that time there was no smoke. We did talk to locals who said it blows in and out, so.....

++ New Posts ++