WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What can you ethically do to a shelter snorer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Good point.

The conclusion I have drawn from this thread is that I will let other people know that its OK to wake me up if I snore, but unless they say the same thing to me in return, I'll just suffer in silence.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Carry a tent/tarp/hammock, and be prepared to use it.
    Actually, this is all that needs to be said. Snoring is only one behavior that people sharing a shelter might have to deal with. If you don't like the behavior (snoring, farting, belching, banjo playing, bungee jumping mice etc.), leave. Whatever you do, don't ask a snorer to stop breathing and snoring IS breathing.

Images

HERE'S what YOU do. It take a LOT of COURAGE, but I gaurantee the snorer will stop snoring the rest of the night and at least for the next few shelters beyond.

This works best on darker nights - Slowly and silently unzip your bag and keep it at the ready to crawl back into quickly. Crawl over to the snorer and memorize the quickest route back to your bag. Now while you are hovering over the snorer, quickly Lock your lips over theirs and plant a quick french kiss on them and get back in your bag quickly.

I guarantee it will take the snorer at least 5-6 seconds to catch their bearings and figure out where they are, especially if it was a full soft wet kiss. By the time this happens, you are back in your bag, snoring gently away.

The snorer will end up stayign awake the rest of the night, absolutely afraid to go to sleep and will probably complain to hiking companions that there is either a lesiban hiker or a man that's hot for her, or a gay hiker or a woman that's hot for him. Either eay it will keep the snorer wondering all day long for the next couple of days and it will have him or her sleeping so lightly at night that they probably won't snore.

The only down side is that in the midst of your french kiss - especially if it is a shade too long (don't get carried away), they start reciprocating and put their arms around you and give you full tongue back. You're on your own here.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed
    HERE'S what YOU do. It take a LOT of COURAGE, but I gaurantee the snorer will stop snoring the rest of the night and at least for the next few shelters beyond.

This works best on darker nights - Slowly and silently unzip your bag and keep it at the ready to crawl back into quickly. Crawl over to the snorer and memorize the quickest route back to your bag. Now while you are hovering over the snorer, quickly Lock your lips over theirs and plant a quick french kiss on them and get back in your bag quickly.

I guarantee it will take the snorer at least 5-6 seconds to catch their bearings and figure out where they are, especially if it was a full soft wet kiss. By the time this happens, you are back in your bag, snoring gently away.

The snorer will end up stayign awake the rest of the night, absolutely afraid to go to sleep and will probably complain to hiking companions that there is either a lesiban hiker or a man that's hot for her, or a gay hiker or a woman that's hot for him. Either eay it will keep the snorer wondering all day long for the next couple of days and it will have him or her sleeping so lightly at night that they probably won't snore.

The only down side is that in the midst of your french kiss - especially if it is a shade too long (don't get carried away), they start reciprocating and put their arms around you and give you full tongue back. You're on your own here.
    This thread has just taken a turn for the worse. Shaking, hitting, throwing things I can understand. French kissing - now that is sick! Let us know when you plan to be on the trail.

Reminds me of American Vacation when the 10 year old girl proudly announces "Daddy always said I was the best at French kissing."

National Lampoon's: Vacation....

"I think you're all *****ed in the head. We're ten hours from the *****ing fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much *****ing fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're a**holes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy ****!"

Default Yesiree!...

Tin Man advises:
    quickly Lock your lips over theirs and plant a quick french kiss on them and get back in your bag quickly.
    Been there, done that...didn't work...got an erection and stayed awake myself all night waiting for it to go down...ended up ripping a hole in my bag.

Thank you saimyoji
    National Lampoon's: Vacation....

"I think you're all *****ed in the head. We're ten hours from the *****ing fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much *****ing fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're a**holes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy ****!"
    Made my day!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Did the guy have a beard?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeemer
    Been there, done that...didn't work...got an erection and stayed awake myself all night waiting for it to go down...ended up ripping a hole in my bag.

Made my day!!
    Excuse me. That was Toolshed's quote you quoted not mine. Please be careful when you edit a quote. Thanks.

Images

I noticed the quote error myself. I never knew so many people had hidden anger/love for us snorers. I live down here in the south, but I've never heard about being extra cautious if you are a snorer!

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell
    I noticed the quote error myself. I never knew so many people had hidden anger/love for us snorers. I live down here in the south, but I've never heard about being extra cautious if you are a snorer!
    I know. In the future, I will park my tent an extra half mile or so from shelters just to make sure my snoring doesn't offend anyone especially that french kissing Toolshed dude.

Default Awt oh...

Tin Man caught me screwing up:
    Excuse me. That was Toolshed's quote you quoted not mine. Please be careful when you edit a quote. Thanks.
    Jeez, one would think you'd thank me for giving you some character.

Toolshed should be the one that's pissed.

My apologies to both of you fine folks.

Images

Red face Forgive me for my insolence, Oh thru-hiker god

Personally, I do defer to thru-hikers because of their situation. However, when I walk into a shelter that already has a few thru-hikers in it, the last question I want to hear is "Do you snore?" This happened on my last section-hike and I just blew it off and stayed in the shelter anyway. I ended up having a very pleasant evening with them. Your wrong about the ear plugs, I work 3rd shift and sleep during the day. I have had to wear them lately as they are building a house next door and it get pretty noisy. They don't kill all the sound but they dull it enough where it doesn't bother me so much. My sister is a day-hiker and she could hike any one of you guys into the ground. Oh, did I mention she is 60 years old? In her 50s she could pass the Army physical fitness test, not the female test, the male test.
    ...I see you're now following SMS around from thread to thread.

And, BTW, you're giving out *****ty advice...Maybe even carry a few pairs of those sponge ear plugs to pass out....sponge ear plugs only work for people who are already deaf. Even the solid ones can't stop the loud snorers from ruining other's sleep. Try'n be a little more sensative.

Oh yeah, this... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you....never thought of that

And you're wrong about thru-hikers they have more rights...we're all beat up and tired while those pussy day hikers can afford to lose a night's sleep...please think before you post.

Images

Let me clarify, by rookies I mean folks who set up tents in shelters. Not just a bivy or a something small, I'm talking REI Half Dome, complete with rain fly. Fortunately, their was plenty of room in the shelter and the folks were nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    I hate it when those rookies and greenhorns go out in the woods and spoil it for the rest of us! Oops, wait a minute, I think we all had to be rookies and greenhorns at one point!

Jeez, one would think you'd thank me for giving you some character.

Toolshed should be the one that's pissed.

My apologies to both of you fine folks.
    No problem. Some might say I am quite the character, but thanks anyway.

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Reminds me of American Vacation when the 10 year old girl proudly announces "Daddy always said I was the best at French kissing."
    Actually it was her teacher who said she was best. Freuidian slip?
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    Flagellation qualifies for extra points.
    Excuse me, but don't you mean "flatulence"? Flagellation is the act of whipping or scourging. And we certainaly don't need any of that on the trail or in the shelters. Although it appears that verbal lashings are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru
    Excuse me, but don't you mean "flatulence"? Flagellation is the act of whipping or scourging. And we certainaly don't need any of that on the trail or in the shelters. Although it appears that verbal lashings are okay.
    I stand corrected. Thanks.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Teatime] My sister is a day-hiker and she could hike any one of you guys into the ground.
    ======================================
    Yo Skeemer ...that sounds like a challenge ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I believe flagellation is a fart that snaps back to whip you across the nose. They are most foul.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++