WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What can you ethically do to a shelter snorer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I LOVED the AYH Hostels at Harpers Ferry and Pine Grove Furnace. Female-only bunkrooms meant a huge drop in decibals! But everywhere else I just reached for my earplugs.

Though shelters were never too bad. Hostels always seemed to reverbrate more. And if you think they are bad, try the crowded focs'le of a sailing ship for snores!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Snoring....z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z!

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    This poll asks what you can ethically do when assaulted by loud snoring within a shelter.

i voted for the EAR-PLUGS thang....altho'...i'm probably one of the OFFENDERS that would get a BOOT upside the head....hehehehehehe

i never have problems falling asleep after a long day of hikin'....so, SNORERS never bother me.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

To all snorers:
    Shall I let the board know when and what sections of the trail I am planning to backpack on this year
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Cool Change - Donating Member drsukie's Avatar
    Images

NO ONE, and I repeat that, can top our friend Brian. He earned his Trail Name within one hour of all of us "falling asleep", and I use that term lightly, the first time I did the Approach Trail: Bear Repellant.

Glenn, the Ridgerunner for this section (in 2004, I think 2005, too), was tracking a nuisance bear which had been reported at Stover and Springer shelters in the last two nights.

We all guessed, but Glenn confirmed: there was NO way that bear would have come near us that night. Since then, my heavy-duty industrial earplugs work JUST fine!

Sue
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Journal Entries
    Images

Seems like gently nudging someone or throwing a soft object might produce a bad result.

Being a pacifist, I might amend my answer now.

If someone was talking loudly I would ask them to tone it down, why can't I do that to a snorer?

Not sure.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Interesting situation at the NOC hostel last month:
    4 man room 4 men in room. one snorer
    I wear ear plugs and have learned how to tune it out.
    Another guy sharing the room appointed himself "Master of Snoring Control". Each time the snoring began, he would say, in a loud voice, "Dude!! You're snoring!!"

I have to say that this was worse than the snorer. Extending my passive acceptance of the snorng to the Master of snoring, I suffered in silence. I could only see a big deal erupting from getting involved.

Finally, some time later, the snorer moved out to the deck.

very interesting!! What say you?
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

the snorer has the right to breath where he wants
    the yeller has the right to be a dick
    the person in the tent has the right to laugh

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

You never want to disturb a snorer. It makes me wake up cranky

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Tents and tarps are great when you don't need one (ie. when its not raining).
    tarps and tents are great when it is raining too. snuggle up with your honey. play some cards. draw. nap listening to the rain pitter patter on the silnylon. not much better for a zero on the trail. i have no idea why someone would want to stay in a moldy rat infested hole when you could have fresh air and privacy. when it rains mice want to get dry too. plus pee really stinks when you add moisture and stale air.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i have no idea why someone would want to stay in a moldy rat infested hole when you could have fresh air and privacy.
    laziness.....

It has been rumored that I snore. I stayed awake one night to see if it was true and didn't snore a bit! Stinking rumors!---Two Tents

Images

I say snoring is a punishment for choosing to sleep in a shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Seems like gently nudging someone or throwing a soft object might produce a bad result.

Being a pacifist, I might amend my answer now.

If someone was talking loudly I would ask them to tone it down, why can't I do that to a snorer?

Not sure.
    Because talking is voluntary while snoring is involuntary behavior. If snorers could stop snoring they would, but they have no control over it.
    If people can't stand snoring they should avoid situations where they will be exposed to it.

Default Do it at your own risk....

I just thought of something that may work. When your shelter neighbor starts snoring, which should be before everyone else gets to sleep, reach over and pinch their nose together and hold it. Soon they will wake up, cold cock you and you will sleep nicely for several hours. Ha-ha.

LOL

P.S. What is the true meaning of LOL ? Perhaps one of you "thread-starters" should launch something in the humor section on the growing popularity of using acronyms.

Waiting

I think everyone should have lived in my childhood home for a couple of months, after 2 months of my stepfathers snoring anything else would be considered peace and quiet

rick boudrie? If this is so.................I am a Boudrie also.............where do you come from?

Images

Ear plugs...obv. I've been wearing them camping, cheap hotels, etc.

i snore pretty loud and we came up to a shelter and decided to stay in the area for the night. We had not decided though if we all were going to stay in the shelter, when these two very annoying hikers came up and took over the shelter. They put their stuff every where. I looked at my 2 buddies and told them i was definatly slepping in the shelter that night. My buddies woke up the next morning saying other 2 got up early and was complaining about my snoring when they left. IF they were not being so rude when they arrived i would have slept in my tent away from the shelter, a little bit of trail justice.

Images

Default Water Pistol!!!

Lightweight and lots of fun! I worked offshore for 25 years and this works like a champ. Fill the pistol before going to sleep. When the offender starts up the chainsaw, slowly take aim, hit him with a quick squirt and lay your head back down quick. The usual response is for them to awaken and look up to see where the "drip" came from. The only drawback is that I found myself staying awake just waiting for the chance to "pop a cap" on the snorer. Also you need to smother your face in the pillow to stifle your giggles.
    Fun and effective !
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Quote Originally Posted by LimpsAlong View Post
    Lightweight and lots of fun! I worked offshore for 25 years and this works like a champ. Fill the pistol before going to sleep. When the offender starts up the chainsaw, slowly take aim, hit him with a quick squirt and lay your head back down quick. The usual response is for them to awaken and look up to see where the "drip" came from. The only drawback is that I found myself staying awake just waiting for the chance to "pop a cap" on the snorer. Also you need to smother your face in the pillow to stifle your giggles.
    Fun and effective !
    OMG! Where, how and WHY did you find this thread?! This thing dates back to 2005!! Funny to note though, even then LW was belligerent with his comments. But at least he is consistent!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++