WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What can you ethically do to a shelter snorer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default What can you do if someone is snoring?

This poll asks what you can ethically do when assaulted by loud snoring within a shelter.

What poll?

I would take some little pieces of wadded toilet paper and shove them.....

In my own ears, as I probably woke myself up snoring!

Nothing you can do. If you're stupid enuf to stay in a dirty wooden box when there's thousands of acres of woods around you to camp, then suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Nothing you can do. If you're stupid enuf to stay in a dirty wooden box when there's thousands of acres of woods around you to camp, then suffer.
    Good definition of the Smoky Mountains, where staying in shelters is required.

I usually use my ear plugs in hostels, not in shelters. Almost everywhere, I can hammock camp outside shelters, even when I want to be near the shelter for company.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

I stealth in the Smoky's. No shelters for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Couldn't agree more ... lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Ancient post LW, but I'm beginning to suspect that you have great disdain for AT shelters!

1)bring ear plugs and/or MP3 player.
    2)smack the snorer in the mouth, blame it on a porcupine, and hope you fall into a deep sleep before they do!
    3)learn never to sleep near obese people again(I know, prejedice statement, but most heavy snorers I've had the unfortunate experience to sleep near are greatly over wt., besides the constant eyeballing of my trailfood makes me feel uncomfortably protective)
    4)bring something that helps you sleep(valium, sedative, JD, schnapps, drug of choice, etc)
    5)knock yourself out, or have someone else do it for you, by hitting yourself in the forehead, w/ a trekking pole to stop the insanity of snoring, I almost considered this on several occassions, better to wake up w/ a bump on your forehead after having a dream of Beyonce than staying up all night with a bunch of farting snoring hikers
    6)don't sleep at shelters or where snorers congregate, like at shelters(I've actually witnessed other thru-hikers pack up their gear in the night to move away from snorers)
    7)practice Jedi mind tricks on yourself

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    This poll asks what you can ethically do when assaulted by loud snoring within a shelter.
    Does this satisfy the definition of "assault" if you choose to sleep in the trail shelter in the first place? Now if some uninvited bozo tries to snuggle up in your tent I'd be more than OK with strong measures, up to and including inflicting fatal injury.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Hmmm, I missed the poll the first time around. Agree with LW here. Carry a shelter...use it.

We only stay in newer shelters that appear somewhat clean and only when no one is there besides us. My brother and I are competitive snorers and we do not want to disturb anyone or have to compete with anyone else. Live and let snore we say. We only get combative when the mice start snoring.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tents and tarps are great when you don't need one (ie. when its not raining).

Images

I'm starting to enjoy cowboy camping if the weather's nice. If it's raining I'm generally in my tent. Each to their own.

While we're at it, may I respectfully ask if you believe that escalating a breach of manners to a physical confrontation is a good idea?
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I thought you carry a shelter to well..shelter you from rain and snow.

Shelters can be nice in really bad weather. But, I don't like camping with 15 of my closest hiking buddies! If you want a good night's sleep, tent/tarp/hammock it.

Shelters are noisy, dirty and uncomfortable.

YMMV.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    tarps and tents are great when it is raining too. snuggle up with your honey. play some cards. draw. nap listening to the rain pitter patter on the silnylon. not much better for a zero on the trail. i have no idea why someone would want to stay in a moldy rat infested hole when you could have fresh air and privacy. when it rains mice want to get dry too. plus pee really stinks when you add moisture and stale air.

rick boudrie? If this is so.................I am a Boudrie also.............where do you come from?

Sleep in a tent?
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

You had to go and ruin it with words like ethically!!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Dont expect any sympathy from me. I snore like a lumberjack...

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack
    Dont expect any sympathy from me. I snore like a lumberjack...
    Me too!! But my own snores don't wake me up!!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Some snorers don't believe it when they are told. None of the really loud ones believe how bad they are. Short of surgery there isn't much they can do. The little tape-on nose thingys work for a few, but not many. Plug your ears, go out and put up your tent, or put up with it.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++