Default Advice for PCT Section Hike

Hi,

next summer I'd like to fulfill a big dream of mine and attempt a 6 - 8 weeks section hike on the PCT. My time frame will be early June until the middle of August. This year I did an AT section hike from Springer to Damascus (470 miles) in about 30 days, so I guess 800 miles should be a doable distance for a 6 - 8 weeks hike. However, the PCT seems to be a lot more dangerous than the AT. In particular there are two things that I'm concerned about lack of water in the desert and too much snow in the mountains. Another problem is that I'm not from the US, so I have to find realistic start/end dates and rely on public transport.

Hence my plan is to hit the trail in Kennedy Meadows in mid June and get off the trail in Dunsmuir in early August. Still there are a couple of questions:

- Would you say this is a reasonable plan? I am also up for different sections or going southbound.
    - How difficult is it to get to Kennedy Meadows via public transportation/shuttle?
    - How difficult is it to get to Dunsmuir from the trail? (there is an Amtrak station in Dunsmuir)
    - Is June 15 a reliable start date with respect to snow levels in the Sierra?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

PS: This site was a great resource with a lot of valuable information to prepare for my AT section hike!

Images

To know if June 15th is a good date would require a crystal ball. Since we don't one of those, June 15th on average is near the traditional time to enter the Sierra in an average year. you will know sometime around April 1st what the 2016 snow pack is expected to be.

if it were me I would likely start south of KM, maybe from Walker Pass. That would give you a few days to get in Trail shape before you hit the Sierra. you will need to be prepared for at least some snow in all likelihood. Don't let the last few years journals lull you into thinking there is no or little snow. These have been extremely low snow years. But snow isn't the end of the world. generally hikers will group up and go in together. That's another advantage of starting at Walker, you may meet some hikers in the stretch.

as far as public transport, if you end up starting at Km then you get get bus service up and down the eastern Sierra. there are likely other options like Mammoth but I know you can bus down from Reno. you would have to hitch up to KM or Walker Pass.

you plan sounds reasonable. You will have to plan out the Sierra a bit in respect to resupplies. Most thrus are in prime shape when they hit KM and are doing longer days. You will just be starting out so likely you will need to head out either Kearsarge or Horseshoe Pass.

If you have flexibility in your schedule at all, it seems like planning a later start would be wiser. The reason thru-hikers are eager to enter the Sierras in June is to get through Washington before the snows. You're not going through Washington. If it happens to be a heavy snow year as our "Godzilla El Nino" predictions suggest for this coming year, it would suck to be stuck to an early schedule and then be stuck in KM for two weeks waiting for snow melt. Starting closer to the end of June or even July might enable you to miss the "worst" of the thru-hiker bubble, have much better trails and scenery and less snow. The JMT is supposed to be best after the end of July because the bugs become fewer even if the wild flowers are too.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Mid June start everything Malto said. +1 Further north you'll get more snow travel with your hiking time frame.

Thanks for the good replies everyone!

@Malto: Starting at Walkers Pass instead of KM is a good idea, indeed. Monitoring the snow levels in April and booking a flight accordingly seems to be a safer plan than selecting a fixed start date in advance.

@nsherry61: I think the latest date for me to leave KM and still have a comfortable buffer at the end of the trip would be around June 21.

Let's assume I want to start earlier: How are the weather conditions in the Mojave desert in early/mid june? Is it too hot or dry already? When June 15 is a common time for leaving KM, there should still be some thru hikers in the desert at that time I would expect.

Images

It will be hot and dry but very doable. There will be hikers around leaving KM all through June. subtract off a few days for their pass through at Walker Pass. I would hesitate recommending a start further south. the section from Mojave to Walker is likely the driest section of trail though I actually liked that section well enough. I would tend to add on to the northern end if you have time or can adjust schedule. if you can make it to Ashland then there is likely easy transport out. I really liked N. Cal.

Images

Just so you know there is a Amtrak station in Dunsmuir, it is not a ticket station though.
    The building is open 24 hrs a day. well lit, has bathrooms. Cleaned by volunteers daily.
    One going SB at about 12:30 am.
    One going NB at 5:00 am.
    Buy ticket on line or over the phone- I found buying by phone was cheapest.
    Double check schedule as it could change a bit.

Note that you need to get a permit from pcta.org, particularly needed if you're starting at KM and heading into the Sierras.
    Get it here: http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Note that you need to get a permit from pcta.org, particularly needed if you're starting at KM and heading into the Sierras.
    Get it here: http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/
    @Malto: Adding on to the northern end could be difficult, as I have to attend a wedding on 08/20. But I will definitely keep that option in mind and readjust depending on my pace and the time of snow melt in the Sierra.

@levibarry: Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated! I didn't even know there were train stations without ticketing.

@BrianLe: Yes, I'm gonna apply for the long distance (500+ miles) permit.

So Walker Pass to Dunsmuire (and maybe Ashville) it will be. I'm already psyched to see this beautiful country again!

++ New Posts ++