WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Camping at Spivey Gap

I am going to be hiking from Sam's Gap to Erwin, Tn. here in a couple of weeks and looking for feedback on camping at Spivey Gap? Looking at hiker's guide, it shows camping and water, but sparse details on where and if safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If there are other suitable camping sites along this section, please let me know.

I would carry water up from south side of Big bald and camp on the top. No water up there but amazing view.

I am not a road side camper if I can help it. I have had bad experiences as most others have. If good weather, Tent on Big Bald-The below print is standing on Big Bald and has a 360 deg view
    IMG_2853.jpg
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

There is water and a camping spot at Spivey's Gap right before you get to the road. It will be obvious. But it appears to be very well used since it is close to the road. My preference is to not camp at or close to road crossings. You could camp here if you wish but I have no info on safety.

However, an alternative is to continue south on the AT across the road at Spiveys Gap and you will go uphill for a bit and crossing a good stream several times. It's a bit steep here if IIRC, Fill up with water here and go about another 0.25 mile or so past the last stream crossing and you will come to a good campsite on your left at a spot where the trail turns right. All in all you might have to go less than a mile to get to this spot but you are off the road and it should be safer and quieter.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 08-27-2015 at 10:01.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

Also, when I last did this section we did it in two days during August of last year. We opt'ed to camp at Whistling Gap. It was a nice spot to camp but the spring was bone dry. Luckily we had carried a bit of extra water from the water source at Big Bald shelter.

Given the drier conditions this year that water source will probably be dry again this year. But it will also be an option for you if you don't want to want to continue to Spivey's Gap or the camping that I mentioned previously. Just make sure you carry enough water in from the water source at the Big Bald shelter.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I did Devil Fork Gap to Spivey Gap in a day August 14'. Nice little section-I parked this January at Spivey and hiked to Indian Grave Gap as an overnighter wrapping up the TN sections.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Ok thanks everyone. I was looking at the Whistling Gap option as my second choice. Means I have a longer 2nd day hike into Erwin, but sounds like the better option.

++ New Posts ++