WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Let me recap your response; its pretty damn awful and filled with plenty logical fallacies.

First, you make the claim that commercializing is a buzz word that doesn't say much, ok let me define it: "manage or exploit (an organization, activity, etc.) in a way designed to make a profit. So, for us to even have the debate about this can we agree on this definition? Second, is you then deny Jurek did or didn't commercialize it? Third, is the act of commercializing the AT a good of bad thing? Fourth, do you have an alternative definition?

Next, your Hitchcock comparison is illogical because it was his motive to entertain and make profits, while it is a cute gesture it holds no merit in this case. Its a red-herring.

Next, claiming a man's name is being tarnished because he didn't do anything wrong or he did some wrong or, or has shown in the past to be a genuinely good guy. This is a classic case of derailing, not gonna fall for it. Judge a man on his actions not his thoughts or intentions.

Next, I'll try and deal with some of illogical(ness) of you condemning those who condemn Jurek for.

So, next is the limitations. do you say any and all profiting of the AT is good? I'm fine with it either way. What are the healthy limits to making money off the literal trail? Can I have lemonade stand at every shelter, can I rent satellite TV at each shelter, or can I put zippiness at every peak so its easier to descend?
    My point is not to have any, because it will lead to better prospects of sustainability and reduce the chance of losing the AT to corporate interests.

My name is Robbie Goodrich!

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    "Commercializing" is one of those buzz word that carries a lot of emotion but does not really say all that much. And calling out these good people as "Trail Profiteers" is beyond the pale.

Would anyone say that Alfred Hitchcock commercialized the Mount Rushmore when he filmed "North by North West"?

Or that Ron Tipton commerialized the AT when he accepted a fair salary for his work to help protect it? Or that Bissell commercialized the Park because he made more money off it on the day Jureck sumitted than he did?

Of course not.

Jureck was and is a runner first. That good and honorable companies provide him with financial support so that they can be associed with people of his caliber is a ripple in a large pond-- and in the end a good thing.

People who are looking to condemn Jurek for commercializing the AT do not have my respect. And yea, I know that matters little. But when a bunch of them gang up together to attack a good man's good name, the rest of us would do well to challenge them.

Of course some of those condemn them most loudly do so from the shadows of total anonymity. Pathetic.

Images

meant to say ZIP-LINES

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++