WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    If you think the produce in the grocery store is not fresh enough, why would you go to the hardware store to complain?

Datto
    Because complaints to the grocery store have not brought about action. The grocery store has ignored the complaints and the produce is still not fresh enough. Going to the hardware store and everyone else in town will start a rumor and bring about attention to the lousy produce at the grocery store. Eventually the grocery store will learn about the rumor and start worrying about the implications of so many people being upset with the produce and looking for alternate ways to obtain produce. They will not want customers going to another grocery store for produce because they know other products will be bought while they are there.

The people at the hardware store are wringing their hands with worry and despair. If only the problem was the freshness of ten penny nails.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHuth View Post
    Here's an op-ed piece from the Bangor Daily News

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/09/...ref=OpinionBox
    Thanks for that link. Read as a terrific article to me. I don't think any AT thru-hiker would have much of a beef with the article with the exception of classifying trail running as AT thru-hiking and blaming AT thru-hikers for the experience, good or bad, from trail runners.

The issue isn't the beauty or value of Baxter State Park to society -- it's a great asset. I can tell you it's a fantastic element to have on an AT hiker's horizon when starting from Springer Mountain, GA. Once an AT hiker reaches Katahdin there is no doubt Baxter State Park is one of the most beautiful and memorable places along the entire Appalachian Trail.

The issue is Bissell and his mouth. He's a dick to have mistakenly gone radical on AT thru-hikers in the global media. For Bissell to have complained to the ATC on AT thru-hiker matters indicates he's living in dreamland and expecting action from an organization that has no say. Until Baxter State Park deals with public relations in a sane manner and deals with the people who can get the problem solved, nothing but further whining and text will come about.

Datto

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The issue is Bissell and his mouth. He's a dick to have mistakenly gone radical on AT thru-hikers in the global media. For Bissell to have complained to the ATC on AT thru-hiker matters indicates he's living in dreamland and expecting action from an organization that has no say. Until Baxter State Park deals with public relations in a sane manner and deals with the people who can get the problem solved, nothing but further whining and text will come about.
    One thing that most of the whiners fail to recognize is that ATC does indeed have very little immediate say. It's an advisory body, and it coordinates fundraising efforts, and it lobbies. It doesn't own the trail. It isn't the National Park Service, nor indeed is it any arm of the government.

What the ATC can do directly is to try to control hiker impact by means of its publicity materials. It can advocate that all hikers adhere to the rules, and educate on what the rules are. It can perhaps lobby for Federal assistance with law enforcement. It can try to mitigate the impact, for instance by publicizing alternative thru-hike patterns.

But the ATC's most important function is to serve as a coordinating body. It may be able to get Baxter some help, because it is the organization that also deals with other aggrieved landowners. Thru-hikers are straining not only BSP, but also GSMNP, Shenandoah, and the whole of Georgia. Some of it is behaviour, and some is simply numbers. Bissell's chief problem is apparently that he can accommodate only about a dozen thru-hikers (and section hikers who have come through the HMW) on any given day, and does not believe that it is fair to offer further reservation-free accommodation when other users wait months for a date. Other sites also have problems with numbers, and he no doubt hopes that ATC will help to establish a coherent policy along the entire length of the Trail for dealing with too many hikers. ATC cannot make that policy; it can only propose it. But it is mostly respected by the landowners, and its proposals therefore carry much weight. It's not exactly an organization that has no say. It's an organization whose function is to "deal with the people who can get the problem solved."

Bissell's grievances are legitimate, but he did his own cause a terrible disturbance by, in effect, throwing a tantrum in someone else's limelight. Moreover, he conflates several distinct problems and labels them all with a single label, 'thru-hikers.' He makes the point that even if A-T hikers were well behaved (which we are surely not), that we simply are too numerous to accommodate under the terms of what BSP is required to be. But then he dilutes that point by going into the parade of examples of poor behaviour, giving the impression in the end that it is about behaviour and not about numbers. Behaviour is perhaps a problem that can be solved with education and law enforcement. Sheer numbers cannot, but could perhaps be solved creatively by finding a way for hikers to finish at Katahdin with a smaller footprint on resources such as The Birches and Katahdin Stream. Conflating the two leaves very little room to search for actual solutions (short of the "nuclear options" of closing the Trail short of the Northern Terminus, or of condemning a Federal easement for it). Every solution proposed for one can be dismissed out of had for failing to address the other.

In any case, I'm staying away from BSP. Clearly, if I were to go, I'd be part of the problem, and I have nothing to offer in compensation for that.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I've seen similar a challenge to what the ATC faces. I belong to the Maine Island Trail Association (MITA). They've secured camping rights for members, and a person can sea kayak (or motor or sail for that matter) along the coast of Maine, camping the whole way. There is an analog of a "thru-hike" along the coast from Kittery up to Cross Island, or if one is so inclined, to go up the Bold Coast to the border of New Brunswick.

The challenge is to secure rights from land-owners, various conservancy groups, and every so often, purchase land. They also have some permissions for parkland.

They (MITA) tries to get its members to practice no trace rules, and it's even more stringent in this case: you can't bury the poo, you have to take it out with you.

Fortunately for MITA, there isn't anything close to the stress on the islands that one sees on the AT, but if for some reason there was a spike in sea kayakers, it would present big problems. There are very fragile ecosystems on many of the islands and they cannot bear too much traffic.

Here are the action steps to put a solution in place -- do these in order and in series, not in parallel -- expect at least 24 months before any positive result will be realized:

Step 1) Find and put into place a legit public relations solution for Baxter State Park that doesn't directly involve Bissell as a mouthpiece in the solution. Few will go further with the necessary action until this first step is put in place.

Step 2) Determine who are past AT thru-hikers -- since the problem, at least in the mind of the Baxter people, is with AT thru-hikers. If that's truly the case then if there is any group that soon-to-be AT thru-hikers may listen to, it is this past AT thru-hiker group. This is particularly so if past AT thru-hikers can meld this in with directly beneficial information that would be useful to prospective AT thru-hikers.

Step 3) From the listing of past AT thru-hikers, determine which past AT thru-hikers and which other people/organizations have the time and money to devote to forming a solution (the solution isn't free -- the money spent on past solutions is probably throw-away money since apparently, nothing good came of it).

Step 4) From those past AT thru-hikers and other organizations (but primarily past AT thru-hikers) who have the time and money to devote to the solution, determine which have the inclination to get involved in creating the solution.

Step 5) From those who have the inclination, assemble a small group -- maybe ten to twelve people -- that will form the initial nucleus of an organization who will eventually become the primary representation for AT hikers (thru-hikers included).

Step 6) From that nucleus, create the plan to address the problem directly with prospective AT thru-hikers beginning at pre-start hiker get-togethers and following that, in Georgia, North Carolia, Tennessee and Virginia. It won't be until at least Virginia until the solution will start to become socailized with the then-much-fewer people who will complete a thru-hike -- but the socialization has to start at Springer Mountain or before and the socialization has to be primarily performed by past AT thru-hikers. Expecting there to be any kind of "reservation system" done months ahead of time is likely a complete waste of time and would be looked upon as even more of an ineffective approach than what was done previously. This nucleus group needs to determine a legit method for measuring success from the effort so course-corrections can be perform for the following year as necessary.

Step 7) Follow-up with more socialization of the solution with active on-trail AT thru-hikers in New Hampshire (particularly in Gorham) and once again in Monson, ME and possibly at Abol Bridge and Millinocket.

Step 8) Measure whether there is success in the solution or if course corrections in the solution need to occur.

Step 9) Repeat the following year.

Datto

Labor Day weekend 2014, I personally counted 237 on Mt. Marcy whilst volunteering up there on the Saturday. And Sunday, even in a windy wild rain, we had over 100. On a regular weekend throughout the summer and fall, anything less than 150 is a surprise on either Marcy or Algonquin. People like to be on the summit. Luckily, they only like being there for as long as it takes to eat a sandwich and snap a photo. Me, I can and have spent all day above the treeline just meandering aimlessly (on bare rock only of course) and soaking in the experience.

And honestly, if BSP didnt want parties and whatever else happens atop the peak, they shouldnt have constructed easy to follow trails to get you there. If Big K were a trail-less bushwhack how crowded would the summit be? Nobody would go there except those that WANT to go there, not because its a checklist item but because of the actual experience (Same for all the elevation clubs, 4,000er, 3,000er, etc. How many people would hike Couch and Allen in the ADK if not for that silly list?) But if you build it, they will come, and they will demand more and more convenience till wilderness is gone. I do admire BSP for at least attempting to preserve the ideal of wilderness along with the real thing, but sadly, that can only come with the shift of the American paradigm, back towards one of self reliance and pride in roughing it. Now people just want the single easiest way up and down and for wildlife to pose with them and I'll take a cheeseburger and maybe the temperature juuuust a littttttle warmer thats perfect.

Journal Entries
    Images

It's appropriate for the Park to work directly with the public as well as the media and other agencies to protect the park, and to improve the visitor experience for all 60,000 visitors.

My concern stems from the fact that the very person in the best position to find good solutions writes a public letter saying how trail magic in the south has changed the character of thrus, and further find space in the park's annual report to announce that two reported thru hikers were spotted in Millinocket with a sign asking for money.

And then, to announce that the AT has no federal designation within the park-- period. That ends at the park's border!

And then there is the Park's attitude towards those thru hikers with animals.

If someone breaks the ADA rules, then my hope is that they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But the implication that anyone with an animal in the park is skirting he law is wrong.

When looking at what happened with Jurek, it is hard not to think of it in That context.

There is on thing I am certain of, and that is that Bissell is smart and that he is creating a narrative against thru hikers for a reason.

A cross-section of past AT thru-hikers who may represent the nucleus of this new AT Hiker organization could be something like what's shown below (not in any particular order, maybe not all are represented, one person might represent multiple types):

1) Two past AT thru-hikers who are under 30 years of age.

2) A past AT thru-hiker who thru-hiked with a dog

3) A past AT thru-hiker with a recent military career path

4) Two past AT thru-hikers who are women

5) The newly appointed individual who will be in-charge of public relations/media for Baxter

6) A representative from the ATC

7) Two 2,000 milers who compleed the AT as section hikers

8) A past AT thru-hiker who's thru-hiked the AT as part of retirement

9) Delegate(s)-at-large

10) Other types of AT hikers that need representation

Datto

The problem is too many people in Baxter state park. The only way to limit the number of people is to limit access. Only one group has unlimited access and that is through hikers. When a couple hundred a season climbed the summit, or was no big deal. Now that is twenty or thirty uncontrolled hikers trying to summit bringing their party with them, it is a huge problem. Scott Jurek was the most visible and outrageous face of the problem. He highlited the problem for everyone to see. Now it's up to the hikers to fall in line or lose access to the park. It's nothing to do with Bissell. It's his job to protect the park from a scourge of hikers who refuse to obey the rules.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The problem is too many people in Baxter state park. The only way to limit the number of people is to limit access. Only one group has unlimited access and that is through hikers.
    1. Bissell was quoted as saying that the summit sees 200 people at a time. Do you doubt his understanding of the state of things as they exist now? How many thru hikers have ever been at the summit at on time?

2. Baxter considers anyone starting in Monson as a thru hiker. It pretty easy for even the most simple mixed hiker starting in Monson to make a reservation and not take up space at the Birches. Why won't the park differentiate between those people, and those starting many hundreds or thousands of miles south?

Baxter's narrative is working-- even the most reasonable people are buying into it.

Bissell should get outside help when dealing with media and public relations issues and hire a designated PR person who has a clue about current culture -- the PR person would likely have known ahead of time the situation was probably going to go bad and could have gotten ahead of it without Bissell having to open his mouth.

Datto
    I don't think Mr. Bissell or BSP need a PR firm. With all the coverage he has received from national media I think he has done quite well.
    More walking, less talking.

Like it or not the ATC is the body vested with representing the AT. There is no need for a separate committee for BSP

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

2. Baxter considers anyone starting in Monson as a thru hiker. It pretty easy for even the most simple mixed hiker starting in Monson to make a reservation and not take up space at the Birches. Why won't the park differentiate between those people, and those starting many hundreds or thousands of miles south?
    there is no reason to . As you say, anyone at monson can make reservation and time their last week to meet their reservation. Thru hikers deserve no special accomodation of any kind. Not in BSP, not GSMNP, not anywhere on the trail. They will solve their own problems if allowed to.

It does sound like the complaint is not that AT thru hikers are discriminated aginst at BSP, but that they don't get as much preferential treatment as some hikers expect to receive

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries
    Images

MW,

If you ever elect to return to Maine and hike from Monson into BSP with the idea of staying at one of the 4 - 6 person shelters at KSCG, I would highly recommend you secure your reservations well in advance of your arrival in Monson.

The good news is that if you plan your vacations months in advance like so many of us, you have a very good chance of getting the dates you want.

Journal Entries

MW,

If you ever elect to return to Maine and hike from Monson into BSP with the idea of staying at one of the 4 - 6 person shelters at KSCG, I would highly recommend you secure your reservations well in advance of your arrival in Monson.

The good news is that if you plan your vacations months in advance like so many of us, you have a very good chance of getting the dates you want.
    Making reservations doesnt change the # of spots. they have what they have today, and that number is fixed.

Make the birches reservation also, and let the chips fall where they do. You will get more sobos, probably less NOBOs, and far more flipflops. Hikers will spread themselves out of their own accord if they want to summit K, no one has to worry about doing it for them. They will figure out how to maximize and share reserved sites as well so all thruhikers have a place to stay if possible.

Once into september, stay away from weekends, and theres availability. Thats where the overflow end up anyway, the diff is that the rangers are making the reservations for them, because no one makes them make it for themselves before arrival.

bsp reservations.png
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-07-2015 at 20:13.

Journal Entries
    Images

If AT thru hikers were encouraged to make reservations at KSG it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Not for the thru hikers who might miss thier date -- they could share space at one of the 4 to 6 person KSG sites reserved by one of their hiker buddies who time it better -- but for all the traditional users who would be squeezed out.

If AT thru hikers were encouraged to make reservations at KSG it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Not for the thru hikers who might miss thier date -- they could share space at one of the 4 to 6 person KSG sites reserved by one of their hiker buddies who time it better -- but for all the traditional users who would be squeezed out.
    I usually get my reservations in, online, 90 days out. I know some people drive up to Millinocket on New Years to make them in person, but I never had to. As MW said, if through hikers make reservations, they will be damn sure they make it there on that date. That will, in effect, make sure that groups aren't trying to finish all on the same date. It may affect day use parking permittees, but most people do make reservations far in advance.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++