WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Showers Near Twentymile Ranger Station/Fontana Village?

I'm in the planning stages for a three day/two night loop starting at the Twentymile Ranger station. I'll finish on a Sunday and I'm looking for a place in the area to clean up before getting on the plane to fly home Sunday night. Any public facilities in that area?

TwentyMile RS has a hose outside I've showered off with. Shower near the Fontana Hilton(AT Fontana lean to), at a bathroom, often a bit grundgy though.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are public showers available at the Fontana Dam Visitor's center.

But the thing I do on a regular basis now is to leave a 2L bottle of water in the car, a change of cloths, bar of soap, deodorant, and a pair of old pack towels and hair brush. I basically use the water/soap/towels to take an 'above the waist' sponge bath, wash out my hair, and change into clean cloths. Of course I simply then jump in my car and drive home... not go get on a plane.

Images

there's a few different options down in that area and in general...............besides the information given above......

i havent tried the shower at the fontana shelter, but i have used the one at the visitor's center.........

nothing special, the head isnt that great, but its always been hot and forceful for me.............its a communal shower, and while there is a sign on door outside, people always mistake this for the bathroom.......

you could call hike inn (they are about a mile or so from marina) and ask them if they have showers.....

and if you have car-----there's a few options in bryson city...............there's at least one campground on the highway 19 that will let ya shower for a fee and guessin others would do the same upon asking....

also, since the national park's campgrounds don't have showers, the hosts typically know places outside park that will.................might be worth a call down to deep creek and ask....

also, if you have car and near interstate----you call always stop in at a bigger, more truck orientate gas station and (like pilot or flying J) and they will have showers you can pay for..........

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like I have lots to choose from. The truck stop option would not have occurred to me. There is a Pilot Travel Center with showers on the way from the trailhead to the Chattanooga airport.

I have used the Pilot stations several times. My trip back from the smokies is 7 hours, and usually includes a civilized restaurant stop.

I used to try to find an out of the way public bathroom sink to clean up at. But I got tired of the long stares and still being mostly filthy for the drive home. So now I usually try to devise a shower opportunity into my trip plan. Truck stops and campgrounds are my friend. If you have a group, even a stop at a dive hotel room isnt out of the question. Pilot charges something like $15 per shower, so 3 or 4 people can split a hotel room and get cleaned up in relative comfort, then just check out.

You don't need no stinking shower.....use this http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/no-...946587-product
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Journal Entries

Showers at the vistitor center are great. Just leave a towel, soap, shampoo, and clean clothes in your car for the trip home. Its usually pretty deserted there.

Images

Its usually pretty deserted there.

yeah.....

while ive seen signs of use, ive been the only one in there..........im perfectly fine with that......

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Showers at the vistitor center are great. Just leave a towel, soap, shampoo, and clean clothes in your car for the trip home. Its usually pretty deserted there.
    Agree. Just make sure they are open. I understand they are not available year round.

++ New Posts ++