WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Don't get too cocky boy. In two years you will be old like me. In seven years you will be really old like AK. By the way, I think it is wonderful how AK still can get out there and hike.
    Ha ha, I can confidently say (even though I suck at math) that I'll never ever be as old as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Ha ha, I can confidently say (even though I suck at math) that I'll never ever be as old as you are.
    I am gonna' slap your young mouth there kid. Of course you will never be "as" old as me. And if I come down there, you might not make it to 54 and be old "like" me.

Stinking young whipper snappers.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am gonna' slap your young mouth there kid. Of course you will never be "as" old as me. And if I come down there, you might not make it to 54 and be old "like" me.

Stinking young whipper snappers.
    That you'd even consider coming 'Down East' for little ol' me, warms my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I agree, it's always amazed me on the number of older folks that still have their health and hike long distance...that's great, and gives me hope.
    My wife and I attempted our thru last year at 63 and even though we were forced off at the 300 mile mark we will be forever grateful for the experience, none of the other thru hikers ever mentioned our age difference or even seemed to notice it, we were just hikers!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Anyone else like the song "Ends of the Earth" by Lord Huron in the movie?

Sounds like a classic song to accompany a thru-hiker video--I could swear I've heard it used this way before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Anyone else like the song "Ends of the Earth" by Lord Huron in the movie?

Sounds like a classic song to accompany a thru-hiker video--I could swear I've heard it used this way before.
    I did not recognize any of the songs in the soundtrack except for Dwight Yoakam"s. However, I recalled thinking I had heard that last song somewhere before. It was not quite right. It is so like another song, but I can't quite place it. I am off to a quiet room to play the song tracks in my mind. When I find it, I will post the song. Perhaps it is what you are thinking about too. It was a splinter in my mind that irritated my OCD as I left the movie. I must pull it out now.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJCqbuJxTEs

Sounded familiar to me as well, started out like a Bod Dylan tune "Pat Garrett and Billy the kid" But pretty sure this isn't what your looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaTCYNOVmnI

Love that song..its been in several PCT videos to great effect.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

I found the song in my head. At least the one that I was reminded of. It is by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. It is a song about what the king of Hawaii would think about what Hawaii looked liked today. I don't know the title. The title is Hawaiian. I am close. I will post it soon. Likely it will only mean something to me though.

Okay. Thorn out. What it reminded me of was starting at 2:02 in this video. Ya', sorry... not much alike. My mind is weird. Truncated clusters... stack overflow... runtime error...

https://youtu.be/5ZOAiSP1MGs?t=122
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 09-07-2015 at 21:20.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    I noted the same today too. At 45 I was clearly the youngest in the theater by 15 years.
    Yup. If I hadn't taken my 15 year old son, I'd have been in the same boat tonight.

By accounts so far of the audience, I suspect if there is a surge on the trail next year it will be retirees and "old people" of 45 and over. Thats not a bad thing, think of the order and calm they will bring to shelters and other places kids tend to misbehave without adult supervision

Journal Entries

Just saw it this past weekend. Never read the book...yet, though I have it in my stack to read. It was very funny. Loved it. Like others have said, it isn't a documentary on hiking or the AT. Its just a story about two old friends who mend fences and learn to make peace with who they were and embrace who they have become. The AT was a backdrop. It was just about going through a hard experience for them, together. About putting things in proper perspective. Lots of funny scenes. The Katz character was hilarious. Nick Nolte is aging really harshly, but it was perfect for this character. I think maybe the trick is seeing the movie first, then read the book, so you won't be so inclined to compare the two and be disappointed.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Does anyone know which Balds were in the arial shots?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

My wife and I saw the film yesterday. This is the first film we have gone to see in a theater in probably 7 or 8 years. There were probably 20 or 30 people in attendance, most of them 10 or more years older than us. I did the last half of my thru with a 69 year old former navy seal. I don't see age as a limitation to hiking. I see lots of 40 year olds who can barely walk because of life style choices. I thought the film was okay. Don't see it causing a influx of hikers to the AT.
    More walking, less talking.

-

my take:

certainly the wide spread exposure will increase the crop for a while as at least a couple 100 thousand additional people will be aware of the trail

depiction of katz barely able to step off a plane but went about 1000 miles without injury

the movie was "sanitized" for LNT from the book version and probably suffered

biggest misconception the movie may propagate is the minimal interaction with hikers other than the partners - obviously a filmmaking necessity

Images

I liked the fact that Redford seemingly carried a bath robe with him on the trail (which he wore at the hotel).

This sets a good example of trail modesty.

I think if you want to see if young people are seeing the movie, you'll need to go to an 11 PM or midnight showing, if such exists. Seems to me they never go out until 10 PM.

I admired the way Redford kept himself clean-shaven and Nolte's beard stayed the same length throught the movie.

OG
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

-

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I liked the fact that Redford seemingly carried a bath robe with him on the trail (which he wore at the hotel).

This sets a good example of trail modesty.
    katz in only the poncho at the laundromat became sort of a non-obvious inside joke - another "sanitized" item

I enjoyed the movie. When will the sequel come out?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++