WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

"If it were that much of a super food we'd would be producing tons of it and we'd probably do it in a way that didn't involve bees, that was my point."

Too much blind faith in the goodness of capitalism. Corporations and the system are largely designed to produce mass quantities of easily monopolized food sources that can be patented or controlled like GM corn, soy, and wheat and beef, poultry, pork and dairy. Unfortunately, the closest thing to a superfood many consume or consider as wonder food are things like cheap fast food, cheap because most of the ingredients are federally subsidized by you the tax payer making the real cost higher than advertised both on the front end and in terms of health care dollars.

In the U.S. you do not have the right to know what's in your food like products or how it's industrial factory like produced.

BEE POLLEN, although POSSIBLY containing bee saliva, which isn't so weird when one considers real 100% honey is bee vomit, considered by many to have some health benefits, is LARGELY THE MALE SEED OF FLOWERS. Not so weird. And, yes bee pollen does have some nutritional benefits under short term use.

Agree with you though that the term superfood has been used by marketers but there are some foods IMO that do have over and above super nutritional qualities.

Here are some foods that I think we should all consider adding into our diets on a more regular basis. NOTICE if you Google Superfoods you get list of real minimally processed minimally packaged minimally refined, if at all, close to the Earth whole food items on EVERY LIST! It is no accident. It's the exact opposite of what many in the U.S. are eating. And we sometimes wonder why we have the extent of health issues in this country with our common western diets.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...are-superfoods

http://www.doctoroz.com/slideshow/dr...ite-superfoods

http://greatist.com/health/25-greati...y-theyre-super

There is no such thing as super-foods; one only needs so much nutrients, fats and calories, so the fact that some may be "packed" with everything you need is pointless, in the same way it's pointless to take vitamin supplements, because your body can only absorb so much.

What thru-hiking has taught me is that the most important thing one can do with respect to diet is stop eating so much. Most people do NOT need 2,000 calories per day, that's way too much given their lifestyle, but that's the conventional wisdom.

We are omnivores, so we evolved to eat all different kinds of foods, so to say there are only a few (many of which are exotic) foods that we NEED to have is just funny stuff.

There is only one food source in the world that is suitable to sustain life without the need for any other food sources and that's, Manna, but you need a Manna Machine and an Ark to carry it in and need to clean it once a week. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manna_Machine

I'll just stick with my steak and potatoes

"There is no such thing as super-foods; one only needs so much nutrients, fats and calories, so the fact that some may be "packed" with everything you need is pointless, in the same way it's pointless to take vitamin supplements, because your body can only absorb so much."

Don't get hung up by what you consider funny adverse to you sounding labels. If it helps I tend to think of super foods simply as nutritionally dense better food alternatives compared to highly refined highly processed often denatured nutritionally food like products. I think the quality of one's food does matter not just the quantity produced or consumed. Too many empty nutritionally empty nutritionally dismal food like products in the Western diet AND IT'S DESIGNED THAT WAY. Larger quantity of food like products eaten out of nutritional necessity because nutritional quality has been compromised equals greater food purchase quantities nutritionally required to attempt to meet the same nutritional goals equals greater economic profit. It's about selling denatured food like products factory farmed in mass for mass profit by only a handful in control of consolidated food supply companies.

"What thru-hiking has taught me is that the most important thing one can do with respect to diet is stop eating so much. Most people do NOT need 2,000 calories per day, that's way too much given their lifestyle, but that's the conventional wisdom."

Somewhat agree with you although, again, it's not just quantity but also quality of food that counts. NO, a calorie is NOT a calorie. Food is not just about calories either. It's also about phytonutrients, enzymes, micronutrients, and the context of food in its whole food nature. Metabolically, the human body can be affected very differently as a result of eating whole foods with these included nutritional elements compared to highly processed highly refined out of a package for convenience sake food like products that often lack these elements. It's amazing to learn how addicted/habituated we are pushed to be with our eating habits often, in actuality, best serving someone else's agenda. Of course, we aren't referring to daily caloric load requirements for LD hiking.

"We are omnivores, so we evolved to eat all different kinds of foods, so to say there are only a few (many of which are exotic) foods that we NEED to have is just funny stuff."

Really? Read those links and Google some of these lists yourself. Most of the items on those lists are definitely NOT EXOTIC. What they are, again, are foods mostly in their whole food form minimally processed or refined not requiring extensive packaging or having multiple months or even yrs shelve lives.

"There is only one food source in the world that is suitable to sustain life without the need for any other food sources and that's, Manna, but you need a Manna Machine and an Ark to carry it in and need to clean it once a week."
    Tongue in cheek. Somehow I never took you as a manna eater.

"I'll just stick with my steak and potatoes."

You can do that wisely too. Perhaps, eating more grass fed free range leaner cuts of beef in 4-5 oz human size portions on a limited weekly basis and switching to sweet potatoes could be seen as healthier alternatives. Consuming less saturated fattier cuts of beef in very limited portions more as a matter of exception than the rule might be a better alternative too. Seeing a meal containing beef or a meat with the meat as and addition to the meal NOT the focus could be a consideration as well. Just might not only be healthier for you mentally and physically but healthier financially.

Almost had me convinced until the saliva reference came up.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Possum... the other white meat.

I started making a list of "Superfoods" from the nutrition website first lady Obama had up online.

That website had food ratings that made sense: folic acid, antioxidants, amino acids.

I was taking food items off that list, foods that had the highest numbers of each category.

I would call that Superfoods.

I wish they would have that website up again: it relied on flash, and it crashed a lot.

Bee pollen?

My brother said it is "bee barf". Now, it looks like "bee cellulite" because it accumulates at the back of the bee's legs.

I like unpasturized bee honey, but that is as far as I will go.. bee pollen? Not for me.

Honey is bee barf. Flash is the devil. It's become nothing more than a vehicle to infect websites with malware.

I tried bee pollen to help with hayfever, its tastes really bad, and did nothing to help heyfever, then some people said it only works with pollen collected from the area where you live, so tried that, taste just as bad and still did nothing.

I am very skeptical when people say xxx is really great for you, here are some biased internet articals that support the theory. But willing to try most things.

99% of things people say is good for you is just rubbish usually. I like un biased research based information. And i am a great believer in a balanced diet a little of everything and your body absorbs what it needs.

Freeze dried expedition food high calorie, no idea if its great for you but it sure does taste amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    There is no such thing as super-foods; one only needs so much nutrients, fats and calories, so the fact that some may be "packed" with everything you need is pointless, in the same way it's pointless to take vitamin supplements, because your body can only absorb so much….
    Statements like this are very narrow minded and make gross assumptions. Really??? That's saying we shouldn't recognize one food being nutritionally exceptionally superior or more complete compared to a nutritionally dismal product. It's saying 2 packs of refined white sugar is the same as an apple that contains sugar or artificial "blueberries" are the same as eating real blueberries.

Much food in the western diet and in many many other places, and diets in general in the world are lacking nutritionally in one aspect or another. There are impoverished right here in this good ole USA that don't get the nutrition they need. You mistakenly assume everyone has equal access to unlimited food choices, as the wealthy have in the U.S., or perhaps you believe you do, eats optimally, gets all the required nutrition needed, and taking a supplement or a "superfood" is a waste because it will not be absorbed. I'm thankful health care practioners know better than you recommending specific dietary changes and supplements.…[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    John Tesh says a toasted cheese sandwich is a superfood. I don't know if I believe him. He supposed to be an expert... on everything. I love toasted cheese sandwiches. Ergo, I eat them and blame him.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnTesh/ph...3247745317713/

The only superfood I take on the trail is peanut butter snickers. Snickers is a superfood... right?

Expert what ? snake oil salesman? Ha ha sorry just laughing on the whole " super food thing "

I'm not trying to sell anything. Just stating a fact.
    There is a container of Pea Protein sitting on the kitchen counter as I type.
    The protein content is 75% by weight. 15 grams of protein per 20 grams of product. Stevia and other sweeteners free. Shelf stable.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Do you make Pea Soup out of it?

Yes, it is bee vomit, and there's no guarantee what else is in there. Here's part of a very balanced review by Mark Sisson:

"'Bee pollen is just what it sounds like: the plant pollen picked up by hairy bee legs in the course of their travels, mixed with regurgitated honey and nectar and enzymes and microbes, and rolled into a little ball. These little balls, packed with protein, B-vitamins, sugar, fatty acids, minerals, and other components that won’t show up on FitDay, serve as food for the hive’s inhabitants. No two pollen balls are alike, of course, so it’s impossible to say with any shred of confidence that “bee pollen contains this, this, that, that, and those in these specific amounts.”

Images

I certainly hope those bees didn't land on poo before they collected the pollen off it really could be a superpood!

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Yes, it is bee vomit, and there's no guarantee what else is in there. Here's part of a very balanced review by Mark Sisson:

"'Bee pollen is just what it sounds like: the plant pollen picked up by hairy bee legs in the course of their travels, mixed with regurgitated honey and nectar and enzymes and microbes, and rolled into a little ball. These little balls, packed with protein, B-vitamins, sugar, fatty acids, minerals, and other components that won’t show up on FitDay, serve as food for the hive’s inhabitants. No two pollen balls are alike, of course, so it’s impossible to say with any shred of confidence that “bee pollen contains this, this, that, that, and those in these specific amounts.”

Wow, similarities to the unknowns in MANY fast food options. Who the heck knows what's entirely in that delicious "burger" so many eagerly consume without having the same questioning thought process. Is it even 100% beef? As disgusting as it sounds, but factual as it is, does the "beef" you're eating contain feces? What is entirely in the "ground beef", how were the animals reared, exactly what diets did the animals eat, and how were the animals processed aren't questions the vast majority of burger consumers give an inkling about.

Can't rely on the USDA either for they are influenced heavily through lobbying and economic "sensibilities" by the meat industry.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...premebeef.html

http://www.thealternativedaily.com/o...tory?id=117992

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/1.../#.Vy5SUemtpLA

http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/usda-...tion-cutbacks/

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/allbeef.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I certainly hope those bees didn't land on poo before they collected the pollen off it really could be a superpood!
    So, with a BIG IF, when or even IF a bee lands on pooh and bee pollen is made in that hive that scenario has to rank very very very low on the possible priority list of contaminants in food to be concerned with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Do you make Pea Soup out of it?
    Mrs Wayne adds it to fruit & yogurt smoothies. I haven't decided what I'll do with it.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    So, with a BIG IF, when or even IF a bee lands on pooh and bee pollen is made in that hive that scenario has to rank very very very low on the possible priority list of contaminants in food to be concerned with.
    Should I be more concern with that or bears?

Pooh adds protein, fiber, vital nutritional content, and slight chocolate flavor to the bee pollen. ???

In beef it's just pooh, cattle pooh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++