WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Do you bake this or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dried pineapple mmmm

The mix I buy at a local flea market before going on a hike has a lot of what the op posted in his/her mix. Looking through the extra bag I have in my 'fridge, I see:
    Banana chips
    pineapple chunks
    mango chunks
    dates
    apricots
    raisins
    shaved coconut
    almonds
    walnuts
    cashews
    sunflower seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    and I add regular M&M's to the mix

I think there are other nuts in the blend as well, but I don't see any others in this particular bag. I pay $7 per pound for it, and don't have to buy any more than I'll need for a week on the trail. I used to carry 4 lbs, but have cut back to 3 lbs for a week. I divide it up into 8 ziploc bags before I leave for the hike.
    This last hike, any leftover from the day of hiking goes into the next morning's oatmeal... though the m&m's do melt in hot oatmeal, making cleanup a little harder, but not much. It's makes boring oatmeal a bit less boring, and adds more fuel for me - as I'm usually a big breakfast person.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
    Hello all. I'm off on another hobo adventure for the fall and winter, will have a car for a change, for part of it, so Im stocking up on trail mix. My overall ratios are 11lbs nuts and seeds, 5 lbs fruit, 4 lbs sweets. The detailed breakdown is:

5lb raw mixed nuts (brazil, pecan, almond, cashew, filbert)
    2lb raw walnuts
    2lb roasted salted peanuts
    1lb raw pumpkin seeds
    1lb raw sunflower seeds

2lb jumbo flame raisins
    1lb mixed dried berries (sour cherries, bing cherries, cran, ras, straw, and blueberries)
    1lb sultana raisins
    1lb currants

2lb M&Ms
    2lb banana chips

All for about $140 (20 lbs, $7 a pound for trail mix that has walnuts and brazil nuts and dried blueberries? I done good), and I will pick it up, its from Nuts.com but they happen to be a local company a few towns over from me in New Jersey. Now that Im done bragging, is there anything you folks see that I can improve? More chocolate maybe? I know thats always a good thing I suppose. Ive made large concoctions of trail mix in the past but this will be the most complex one yet.
    Thanks!
    This like the Mole' of the gorp world.

A cup of currants have about 1/3 the potassium of a banana. Not high, but not bad. Better than eating the Cheetohs I am having for breakfast right now.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

As long as it has dried cherries, I'm happy.

Sometimes I just want a really different flavor. Like an orange slice candy, or a Good-N-Plenty candy, or a strong cinnamon flavor, or some jerky. Other times I want a different texture. Maybe some corn nuts, some gummy chews. Whatever trail mix you start with is not likely to be the one you end with. Just sayin.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I make my own trail mix also
    My tastes vary from day to day.
    One day I will eat mostly cashews, the next I will eat more walnuts, then the peanut M&M's, etc.
    Then all I have left is the stuff that I really don't like all that much, like craisins.

Too many ingredients for me means too much waste. I prefer to keep my mix simple and things I know I will eat.

Journal Entries
    Images

What, no Skittles in there? Tropical Skittles in trail mix takes it to the next level. You know, now that you have me thinking along these lines, I do believe I'm going to start bringing Laffy Taffy with me. Banana in particular. Just stuff it in my pockets and let it get nice and gooey. Yeah....

I would recommend making about four different recipes out of those ingredients.
    You'll get sick of it if it's 20 lbs of the same mix.
    Yeah, I would add coconut flakes to one of the mixes.
    And fry or dry roast the seeds to bring out flavor. Much better than raw seeds.
    Dark chocolate, yes.
    You may have fewer dental problems and blood sugar issues if you leave out the super high sugar M&Ms and banana chips...

sounds good

Take your favorite trail mix, or take the OP's mix and grind it all up (sans M&Ms) in a food processor and you'll end up with a paste---much easier to assimilate this way. Eating nuts and seeds is tough on the teeth.

One of my faves is the old standby Gorp---unsalted peanuts with raisins.

I make my own pumpkin seed butter and always take out natural peanut butter and almond butter and cashew butter. On my next trip I'm taking out home-dried bananas and whole raw cashews.

Raw organic pumpkin seeds are also part of my standard load---highest protein for a vegetarian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++