WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finding a backpacking partner - advice needed

I'm 56 and am having a tough time finding someone near my age who wants to backpack in a small group. My hiking partner of many years died at a young age a few years ago.

I've been hiking recently with someone 15 years younger who likes to hike fast and put in as many miles as possible. I like long distance hiking but prefer a slow and steady approach. The meetup groups usually result in hiking with a fairly large group which doesn't appeal to me.

i'm not in excellent shape (but good enough) but I've hiked 10 mile days and did the Lineville, NC gorge loop in 2.5 days about a year ago. That hike was a bit too much for me but I made it! Anyhow, how did you find a hiking partner? Most people I ask just laugh and say "I used to do that, not anymore".

Perhaps try contacting a local mountain club (AMC has local chapters) and asking if they have any trail crew weekends coming up, those are not only fun and a great way to give back, you can also meet some people that way. But no matter what its hard. Im 28 and I never find people to go with, or people that I want to go with I should say haha.

I too am 56. My hiking style seems to be much like yours. I did 11 mpd last year in central VA but that was a bit much for my knee. I was hiking on my own. This year I went with a friend I hadn't seen in 15 years. It was great reconnecting with an old friend but he hiked very slow. I think next time I will go on my own again. However I have found that a Co worker who is my age is also a backpacker. So I guess people like is are out there but hiking solo is sways an option. On both of my recent hikes there were lots of people out there.

Journal Entries

Theres nothing wrong with hiking solo.
    Some prefer it.

Big advantage, do it at your pace. Do what you want, when you want.

Most of yr there is plenty of others out there on trails. You might find one out there.
    Solo hikers are more approachable, you meet and talk to more people. Especially other solo hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Thanks George. I have checked that page fairly often. The group sizes are always very large (10 or more) and I prefer 1 or 2 people.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with hiking solo.
    Some prefer it.

Big advantage, do it at your pace. Do what you want, when you want.

Most of yr there is plenty of others out there on trails. You might find one out there.
    Solo hikers are more approachable, you meet and talk to more people. Especially other solo hikers.
    Hiking alone is not for me. i have never felt it is a good idea. For those that hike solo, I have no issue with it. But, as I said it's not for me.

I noticed another thread from a guy about my age in north Georgia looking for someone to hike with. He got plenty of interest. I'll have to check out that thread.

Sending you a p.m. from Central Ga.

Try the meet up groups. Yeah that hike will be a larger group than u like. But it will be of hikers, one of which may very well match your pace and be interested in doing future hikes with you

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I'm 56 and am having a tough time finding someone near my age who wants to backpack in a small group. My hiking partner of many years died at a young age a few years ago.

I don't know how to help you find a new partner, but I did want to say I know how this feels. My longtime hiking partner and best friend died ten years ago in his early 40s. His son is now 14 and we've been doing a yearly backpacking weekend for a while. We're planning a longer hike together next summer.

For a while I was hiking with a guy I know at work. Lately my wife has been more into backpacking, which is great, but different.

Good luck with finding a hiking partner.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Finding a hiking partner may be more Zen than you think. You will undoubtedly come across people of similar age and abilities as you during any hikes you take (solo or with someone). Those are worth some conversation to see how close they match your level of play and if they are close to where you are. Some of the best hiking duo stories are how they "found" each other on a trail one day and have been trodding paths together ever since.

Sent you a PM. Please let me know what you think.

Section Hiker

It looks like you have some prospects right here on WB, but even though the Meetups tend to do larger group things, if you go once and a while it's a great way to meet people who may become friends and small-group partners as well as learn about what kinds of gear and techniques other hikers are using.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

-

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Thanks George. I have checked that page fairly often. The group sizes are always very large (10 or more) and I prefer 1 or 2 people.
    join the group - go to some meetings, a trip or 2 - you will find one or two to hike with (similar pace, interests etc) reality is you need to hike around a lot of people to find compatible companions - also the web page may have a forum feature for logged in members -

I wish we lived a bit closer we sound like we have the same hiking style. Although, I would not be against checking out your area if we chatted a bit and got to know each other a little more.

If you go to my personal blog and click on the contact page, you will find my email, contact me and we can chat....

naturalred.wordpress.com

N. Ga here. Wanting to complete the Ga section. Still have Hogpen to NC section left. None of my friends really hike. One or two but only one is doing the same sections but schedule don't always align.

I'll be trying to resume in the Spring. I'll be 70.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

After a bit of a delay I'm off to do Hampton to Damascus next month, 3 days.
    If that works then Ocala NF here in Fla then Damascus north after.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Just did a solo overnighter myself. Don't really care for it but since no one really wants to go you do what you can. I have a FB buddy that goes sometimes. Our schedules don't always jive. I'll send you mine and his FB names, assuming you're on FB.

I find Meetup almost impossible to "meet up" with. Most of the hikes are full by the time I get a notification about them (make you wonder...why send the notification?). Others are afternoon hikes that I can't / don't want to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++